It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Siberian husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

Siberian husky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 5:01 am

Update. Grizzly had 30 days of doxycycline . And second blood test waiting for results . He's getting probiotic and and now that it warmed up here 20s besides the antibiotics aftermath he hates the warmer weather. He's slow moving and tired . I also giving him vitamins and minerals each day . He was done with antibiotics
About on the 21st . He's outside husky and loves it he doesn't do warm buildings . He doesn't have a temp at all . Any other ideas to perk the guy up. After 30 days of antibiotics ? I just got some Mirtazaprine 15mg appetite supplement. Haven't started them yet . His eating is up and down each day . He's averaging can of food pedegree each day and only bit of dry.
5 weeks ago he was at 60lbs now he's at 52lbs . I been giving him bits of pork and hamburger along with his probiotic.

Husky2008
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Doxy is known for stomach upset in humans. If he needs to put on weight, you could search satin balls. But don't feed a lot, just bits, though don't want to overshoot.

If though want to perk him up...how about a walk in a new place?
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Will make some today thanks ????
Husky2008
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 3:53 am

Ok made them ... Tried to give him one he's like nope. Then he tried to bury it in the snow. I try for few days . lol

Husky2008Siberian husky - Page 2 Screen10
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 4:55 pm

We'll got blood test looked over infections all cleared. Now kidneys arn't good . Vet quote needs transplant. All I can do try get him to eat more and KD science diet food he doesn't like trieing different flavors . Firstfocus get more food in he's got antacid stuff and I have appetizer pills to get down also.

Husky2008

Pointers are welcome.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 pm

husky2008 wrote:
We'll got blood test looked over infections all cleared. Now kidneys arn't good . Vet quote needs transplant. All I can do try get him to eat more and KD science diet food he doesn't like trieing different flavors . Firstfocus get more food in he's got antacid stuff and I have appetizer pills to get down also.

Husky2008

Pointers are welcome.

A but confusing...are you saying he's in kidney failure and vet is suggesting a kidney transplant?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Just did a hasty, cursory search re: clavamox, kidney failure, appetite. At least in humans, augmentin dosage needs to be reduced if kidney disease is present. And, loss of appetite is a consequence of kidney failure. I just re-read this entire thread and notice you have been giving him ham to stimulate appetite. That would be a no-no in kidney disease due to the sodium content. Diet becomes important in kidney disease - notably, low protein, plenty of fluid. https://www.petmd.com/dog/best-foods-dogs-kidney-disease#

And...Al, I just found your query re half life of augmentin, not sure but it most likely would by different in dogs anyway. Also, re-reading this thread and my hasty search suggests that the clavamox dosage may have been too high if there is in fact, kidney disease.

My best wishes to you husky2008. I hope things perk up. Also - those satin balls, if in fact your boy has kidney disease, probably not the best idea.
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanks It gets more complicated he won't eat anything and dropping weight. And I'm using other foods to get him moved to eating KD science diet . He don't like the canned KD I have 3 different flavors of it . And dry KD. Im giving him new antacid stuff also stimulate appetite . See he hates warm weather also it's 46f today here. Now in evening he's perking up a bit. I know he needs kidney diet . But getting him to eat it is the challenge.

Husky2008
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 8:07 am

Is there good website for recipes for dogs with kidney disease. He will not eat science diet KD can or dry. To point he pushes it out of his dish like it's toxic and won't eat anything that has touched it .

Husky2008
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Husky 2008 Are you on Face Book at all? There are some groups out there to help with chronic kidney failure and feeding of dogs. There is also a home cooking group I belong to, if interested let me know and I can provide you with links to join the groups. My only experience is with my first cat as an adult, she had issues as well when it came to eating, she wasn't the type of cat that grew up on can and the KD that was available at the time was only can, so it was difficult, I understand. There is also huge debates on whether to feed a low protein diet or feed a normal protein diet. Here is an article explaining http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/canine-diets-for-kidney-failure/ It is extremely important that your dog still gets a balanced diet, so don't take it upon yourself to just feed whatever, because that may cause more issues. For the time being I recommend something like The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's or Sojo's, all 3 are freeze dried or dehydrated foods, all three offer base mixes and you add your meat, or you can buy premixes where it is a complete meal. The only caveat to these products are you can not feed eggs as the protein only, must be meat, but eggs can be added. The price can be prohibitive in feeding, however it is a balanced meal and since it is very close to you making it it may entice your dog into eating vs kibble or can. You can also add some warm water to the kibble and maybe add some cottage cheese, yogurt or something else as a topper and see if that encourages eating. Since it is especially important to push as much liquid as you can adding water to the kibble may be the answer, I do this for my gsd, she has no medical issues, but animals are notorious for not getting enough liquid daily, so I add enough warm water to cover the kibble, let it soak for about 15 minutes and then feed. My heart goes out to you, kidney disease in animals is a roller coaster of a ride that I do not wish upon anyone. If you have any questions please ask. Smile
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 7:41 am

Yes I'm dealing with he won't eat . Any info would be great .. I tried all his favorite stuff .. bits of everything to see if he responded . Seems he wants salt . Of all things french fries was only thing he only ate acouple . But ya at the point I can't think of anything else . Others might have more ideas he's drinking water eating snow . He likes hanging out in dog house that's for sure. Now we got snow storm coming it will perk him up maybe .

Husky2008
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am

Hi husky2008.

Sorry to hear about your KD husky.  I'm cringing at the thought of having to feed your dog science diet >.<.  If you read the ingredients it's really all garbage.  I'd be turning my nose to it too =P.

Have you considered transitioning your dog to RAW?  It will really allow you to control your dog's intake specifically for KD. I don't know if you have any RAW suppliers in your area but with a dog suffering from kidney disease you want something with a high quality protein, but low in phosphorous/bone content.  I would up his veggie content and add eggshell to his meals as a phosphorous binder.

Definitely a bit more expensive, but you can rotate your meats to create interest and I'm sure it will taste MUCH better to him =P.

P.S. +1 to MiyasMomma advice above...VERY HELPFUL =D

Good luck and keep us updated!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
husky2008
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 1:24 pm

I made rice and hamburger and egg he wouldn't touch it.
Husky2008

Update he ate bit chicken and roast pork no salt no seasoning .
Fresh pork roast in the oven . Need get him in to white rice.
Just out of no where he ate . But he's camped out in doghouse big snowstorm here.
Husky2008
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siberian husky   Siberian husky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Siberian husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2