It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UmbraTheHusky
Newborn
Newborn
UmbraTheHusky

Male Join date : 2018-04-03

10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! Empty
PostSubject: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 am

Hello, Nice to meet you all!

I was wondering if we could possibly get some tips and advice on how I should feed my husky pup?
I want to make sure he is properly fed and healthy Smile

Little husky pup is 10 weeks old and adopted from a family who has been free-feeding him dry food. Along with the free-feeding, they also
feed him a bit of wet food three times a day with zinc supplement.

I was wondering if this was an okay sort of feeding routine for a pup and soon to be grown adult. If not, is there a recommended feeding routine I should do?

I also wanted to ask about feeding fish oil!
I heard that fish oils are very good for dogs. Would the fish oil be a good substitute for zinc, or should I be feeding both zinc and fish oil?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 am

Unless your pup has a zinc deficiency I would hold off on the zinc. Fish oil is good others can chime in on that since I do not use, I do know that Bonnoe and Clyde is the most recommended in various dog groups I am in and it does provide the fish oil along with Vitamin E which needs to be added to fish oil. What kibble and wet food is currently fed? That way we can know the quality Smile Since most look to quality when feeding our dogs. Welcome to the forum and you have a cutie.
Back to top Go down
UmbraTheHusky
Newborn
Newborn
UmbraTheHusky

Male Join date : 2018-04-03

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 am

Oh, okay gotcha!
We have been feeding him Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
as well as Blue Buffalo Freedom Puppy Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Canned Dog Food. Also thank you!

Dry food is being free fed. Pretty much eats whenever he feels like it!
Wet food is being fed 3 times a day! Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I'm honestly not too sure if maybe he's being overfed?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 3:57 am

He might be, if his poops are nicely formed then no he is probably not over fed. I would however start transitioning to feeding on a timed basis vs free feeding. Blue has had some serious issues over the past year or so and I do believe someone bought them, like Mars, Smuckers, some major company. I would probably find something else that is grain free and start transitioning over, unless he is doing fab on the Blue, then I guess don't rock the boat pups, especially husky pups can have sensitive tummies.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am

I really hate our search function! Besides the recalls of Blue Buffalo that you can find in my "Recall Information"  you can also find specific documentation of Blue's recalls on Petful's Web Site.

Something I did find that was new to me was that Blue was involved in a class action lawsuit positing that there were toxic levels of lead in some of their foods.  Typical of many claims by many manufacturers of various products, Blue said that while they don't test for lead content they know there aren't toxic levels.  A recap of the course of the class action case can be found at The Doginton Post.  While the case was dismissed this, along with Blues many recalls, would make me consider feeding any of the Blue line.

Of course, YMMV

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
mmlozinski
Newborn
Newborn
mmlozinski

Female Join date : 2017-09-05

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

I agree on everything they're saying about blue -- I won't feed it to my cats or dogs. I've found Dog Food Advisor to be extremely helpful when picking out food! It's really easy to understand and very comprehensive.

As far as free feeding, I free feed by 9 month old puppy and he is not overeating by any means. He doesn't eat much and only eats in the evenings when he gets home from daycare, never in the morning. We've tried different brands and it's just his personality, not that he doesn't like the food. He's been like this since 8 weeks and it stressed me out when he was younger that he wasn't getting enough. It's not unusual for huskies to not eat a lot, mine eats about 2/3 of what the bag says he should be eating for his age and weight and he's still an energetic, wild puppy with PLENTY of energy to play!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!   10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please! Empty

Back to top Go down

10 Weeks Old Husky Feeding advices/tips please!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1