It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
andrewkurtz
Newborn
Newborn

A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months Empty
PostSubject: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I have a male husky who weighs 17.3 pounds and is 12 weeks (3months) old.  From everything that I have read, he is below average for his age.  I wanted to know how much your husky’s weighed at or close to 3 months?? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyTue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm

A picture might help the more knowledgeable people here tell whether or not he is under-weight. Also, ideas of the sizes/ weights of his parents would also help.

That being said, our boy, Max, was about 22lbs when he was 12 weeks.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 am

Here is a thread compiling the weights that we have by age for other pups on the forum. Best bet though is look at the rest of the litter and see where their weight is currently. And talk to the breeder and see what the normal growth pattern for their pups usually is. If they are a good breeder they should be able to tell you if their pups tend to grow slow to start and then put on at later months or if they are usually fast growers. Each line can and will grow their own way.

weight chart

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 pm

I don't know how much my husky girl weighed at that age, BUT, I do know how much my gsd girl weighed at 10 weeks, which was around 11 pounds. Gsd's are a wee bit larger than a husky, the weight of 17 pounds seems actually right on target for 12 weeks. The males of my gsd's litter were 13 pounds at 10 weeks old. I seriously would not worry about the weight as long as he is healthy, growing steady (too fast is not good, and too much weight is also not good on hips and joints), and is proportionate. Too often we worry about having a rolly polly puppy, and in reality lean is much better in at least their first year. Smile Enjoy your puppy, they grow too fast. Smile
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 7:41 am

My husky, a male, was only 10lbs at 12 weeks, 3 days.  So...by your standards, mine was emaciated! affraid

Don't put too much emphasis on weight...as long as they're healthy, eating, playful and gaining something week over week, you're fine. It's actually better that they develop slowly and keep them lean as they're growing so you don't put too much stress on the still forming joints.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyThu Jun 14, 2018 1:05 pm

My Kaila is 11 weeks old. She is a malamute/wolf hybrid so, bigger than a Husky. Her dame was 125 lbs, her sire 150 lbs, big dog. she is 27 lbs now and, on the lean side as she should be. Not skinny but, not a rolly polly puppy . ribs can be felt easily but are not visible.

Weight isn't a big deal, you want the ribs easily felt with gentle pressure but, not immediately visible when looking at the puppy.
Back to top Go down
Cris2222
Newborn
Newborn
Cris2222

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months EmptyMon Oct 01, 2018 3:56 am

Husky911 wrote:
My husky, a male, was only 10lbs at 12 weeks, 3 days.  So...by your standards, mine was emaciated!  affraid

Don't put too much emphasis on weight...as long as they're healthy, eating, playful and gaining something week over week, you're fine.  It's actually better that they develop slowly and keep them lean as they're growing so you don't put too much stress on the still forming joints.

Cheers!
How big is he now? I just got a puppy. he is 10 weeks and weights 10 pounds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months   A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months Empty

Back to top Go down

A little stressed out about my dogs weight at 3 months

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1