It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
nikipitcavage
Newborn
Newborn
nikipitcavage

Female Join date : 2018-06-07

HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy Empty
PostSubject: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am

HELP! My 9-month-old pup is treating my 7-year-old daughter like a puppy playmate. Whenever he becomes hyper, even if he is playing with someone else, he heads straight for my daughter and mouths, scratches, and jumps on her. (He does the exact same thing to our neighbor's dog.) He is the sweetest thing and we know he is just being playful and isn't meaning to hurt my daughter but the past 2 days he has left decent size scratches on her arms and back.

What should I do??? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

Have your daughter help with training so that your pup starts seeing her as a source of authority and will bond with her on a human level rather than a puppy level. Have her work on being able to tell him sit when he's being too rough so that she can essentially put him in a time out. Also work on leave it so that if he makes a run at your daughter you can tell him to leave her and he will divert. At 9 months their exercise level is through the roof and they need a lot of exercise and stimulation. Doggy daycare, longer walks, more training. That teenaged phase is coming if not already upon you and they can be real bratty sometimes. Tighten the reigns on him and make him work for everything.

Newborn
Newborn
nikipitcavage

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 11:57 am

Great ideas! Thank you so much!!!!! I'll let you know how it progresses.

Astro just joined our family last week. He came from really sweet owners but they didn't have enough time for him. Poor baby was kenneled about 8 - 10 hours a day, wasn't exposed to kids on a regular basis and hasn't had much training. (He's already potty trained though so that's a HUGE blessing for us.) We're walking/running him an average of 4 - 6 miles a day and playing in the backyard with him for a few hours in the evening. Right now the only command he actively obeys is "sit". It sounds like "leave it" will be the next one we work on.

Seriously, thanks again for your advice!
HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy 34691710
Astro and my daughter ♥
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyWed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 pm

At under a year old it's suggested to limit his running, at least on paved surfaces. Joints are growing up until they are a year old and over working them can cause looseness in the joints that will lead to issues later. Best to keep walks to around 45 minutes at a time on softer surfaces like grass. Backyard romping is as much as he wants. They can go forever it seems but if you let them they could pay for it in the long run. Mental stimulation through puzzles and training will help with that energy as well. It usually takes a couple months in a new household for them to really settle in and see how they are going to be. He looks happy to be with you and is no doubt loving his new life as much as it looks like you all are loving having him. He will turn into a great family member for you with time, training, and boundaries. Can't wait to see how it all blooms.

Newborn
Newborn
nikipitcavage

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 10:26 am

Oh my goodness! I had no idea about the running! We will definitely tone it down for the next few months. Thanks for letting me know!

The last few days we've had our 7-year-old give Astro commands and so far he hasn't puppy jumped on her again. We also found him a 7 mo old golden/husky puppy friend to play with so he has been able to puppy wrestle with an actual puppy. Lol!

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyMon Jun 18, 2018 10:54 am

That is great to hear!

Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy EmptyFri Jun 22, 2018 10:41 am

Our daughter aged 40 has similar problems with Yuki, with several torn items of clothing as a result. We have discovered the power of ginger, but I would love to know how to stop this behaviour from happening in the first place.

Gillian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy   HELP! Husky Treating  My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

HELP! Husky Treating My Daughter Like A Fellow Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1