It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pooping in Crate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Female Join date : 2011-03-15

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:25 am

Meka, still doesnt like her crate to much!! But she will go in when wego to work. I get up early in the morning, take her outside and wait for her to do her business. Then i get in the shower and get ready for work. I leave her out so she can play. Then I go out with her for 15 - 20 mins and play and run around with her like a idoit!!!lol sure the neighbours think i am cazy at 6 am!!! I have my son come home at 1 ish to let her out, she has never had a mess yet. he lets her out and he says he sees her do her stuff then he brings her in and puts her back in her bed. 3;30 we are home. And she has pooped and its all over her. So i would guess she never does her pooing at 1pm but he thinks she does. So would I be better off just leaving her till 3:30? then she doesnt get all excited and then put back in her bed to mess. She goes all night with no mess. shouldnt she be able to go 7 hours in the day?
I have been giving herthe Kong with peanut butter in it, but i think that is giving her the poops!!! any insight for me.
Update on Meka putting the cage threw her foot.... the gave me a settlement for the vet bills and the dog cage.!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 1:06 pm

When your son takes her out around 1 pm does he just let her out in the yard? Also does it seem that she has a BM around the same time every day?

If he isn't already, I would see about having your son take her for a walk when he takes her out in the early afternoon. Walking is more likely to stimulate a bowel movement than just letting her out in the yard which might encourage her to eliminate more.

She might even have a partial bowel movement when he takes her out but doesn't completely empty herself which again might be helped with an actual walk. Two of my dogs will actually stop 2 or 3 times to have a BM sometimes, all in one walk! It's because of this I've learned not to throw away my poopy pick up bag after their first BM since they are liable to have 1 or 2 more afterward. My dogs are also much more likely to have a BM when I take them walking versus just letting them out in the yard. Hence, the many "potty walks" that I take with my dogs.

Meka's still young yet so I would still keep doing the early afternoon potty outing around 1 pm if possible.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I had similar situation when Mya was about her age. I used to work very
close to home would come take her out during my lunch break at like
between 1 and 2pm. I would get home at 515pm to her covered in poop! Mad
She would do her business in the yard when i took her out too! I didn't
know what to do to fix the problem so I just dealt with it and one day
she stopped. NOT FUN!

Huskyluv wrote:
When your son takes her out around 1 pm does he just let her out in the yard? Also does it seem that she has a BM around the same time every day?

If he isn't already, I would see about having your son take her for a walk when he takes her out in the early afternoon. Walking is more likely to stimulate a bowel movement than just letting her out in the yard which might encourage her to eliminate more.

She might even have a partial bowel movement when he takes her out but doesn't completely empty herself which again might be helped with an actual walk. Two of my dogs will actually stop 2 or 3 times to have a BM sometimes, all in one walk! It's because of this I've learned not to throw away my poopy pick up bag after their first BM since they are liable to have 1 or 2 more afterward. My dogs are also much more likely to have a BM when I take them walking versus just letting them out in the yard. Hence, the many "potty walks" that I take with my dogs.

Meka's still young yet so I would still keep doing the early afternoon potty outing around 1 pm if possible.

I completely agree with Val on this! If I only would have thought of this when Mya was a pup I'm sure it would have worked. They will poop 2-3 times in a 15min walk, but only poop once in the yard. I think that might be your solution! Plus she'll get some exercise and hopefully burn a bit of energy so she'll sleep until you get back home at 330pm.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I think Sabaka is about Meka's age. He hardly EVER goes poopy if just let out in the back yard. After his off leash time we have to put him on a leash and take him to the "poop spot". However, he also hardly ever goes poopy on a walk. He will hold it until he's back at his "poop spot". LOL

We are trying to say "Go potty" to him everytime we want him to eliminate. I think he will sometimes squeeze something out just because he's tired of standing in one spot having us tell him to "Go potty". lol!

How about freezing plain yogurt in the Kong? For some reason I feel better about that than peanut butter (although I do freeze PB in it as well). Today I froze yogurt and pumpkin and kibble together in the Kong.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 pm

You have some fantastic suggestions here. I agree with all of them and just want to echo to keep the mid-day walk in there and try to encourage her to go more during the afternoon break through verbal cues and structured walks/playtime. Unless you can be there all day, don't leave the BMs to their own devices in a pup Smile

Pooping in Crate Hailey10
Back to top Go down
combat.tinkerbell
Newborn
Newborn
combat.tinkerbell

Female Join date : 2011-08-22

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Did you ever get this problem corrected? Laylah is taken out at 4:30 am, then again at 9 am then again at noon then we come home at 4:30 and she has pooped and peed all over the crate and her bed plus she's covered in it. I don't know what to do. I've finally been able to stop the diarrhea but she is still using the bathroom in her crate. I don't get it because at night we let her out at around like 9 and she is okay until 430 in the morning but she can't hold it for 4 hours during the day...it doesn't make sense to me?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/combat.tinkerbell
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 10:25 am

OHHHH
I hear ya!!!
All summer Meka has been fine. Because my boys have been home. Now that I am back at work and they are in school she is not happy. Tuesday i got up at 5:30 am took her for along walk and left her outside till it was time to go to work 7am. I feed her the minute i get up at 5;30. little over half a cup. I fill a small kong with yougut and freezer it for her. In her cage she goes and off we go. My son gets home at 3:30pm and on Tuesday... no poop. Wednesday.. poop everywhere!!! I am tried of poop!! lol
I feed her at 4:15 every afternoon and 5;30, 6am everyday.... so maybe should i feed her at another time.... ?? I have other dogs and never had this problem Meka use to have reall y bad problems with her crate but she goes in and lies right down now, and when she comes in the house she goes in until her paws are dry, and when i make dinner she snoozes in there. Please i need some advice to get her to stop pooping in her bed!!!
Back to top Go down

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 am

combat.tinkerbell wrote:
Did you ever get this problem corrected? Laylah is taken out at 4:30 am, then again at 9 am then again at noon then we come home at 4:30 and she has pooped and peed all over the crate and her bed plus she's covered in it. I don't know what to do. I've finally been able to stop the diarrhea but she is still using the bathroom in her crate. I don't get it because at night we let her out at around like 9 and she is okay until 430 in the morning but she can't hold it for 4 hours during the day...it doesn't make sense to me?

She's a tiny little girl, how big is the crate you're using? Just wondering because if it's bigger than it should be (should be only big enough to where she can sit, lay, and turn around) then there's room for her to go to the bathroom.
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:07 am

Oh My!!!
i think I am unfeeding Meka too!!!
she gets about 2 cups a day. She is a small huskey... only 23 pounds.. vet says she wil stay small too!! do you think i should be feeding her more?
Back to top Go down

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:21 am

How old is Meeka and what are you feeding her?
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:30 am

Meka is 10 months old and i feed her Natural balance. The one in the yellow bag
Back to top Go down

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 am

When I fed kibble my 53lb boy only gets 1.5 cups, so you definitely shouldn't be feeding more than 2 cups.
And she's 10 months and 23lbs? That's the size of a 4 month old..
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 pm

I know. I rescued her she had 3 homes in four months! but she is a keeper!! she is such a sweet heart. but a stinky one right now!!
Vet says that he thinks she was left in the cage to much when she was little and it stunted her growth, would explain the problems with the cage at first
Back to top Go down

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Is that her in your avatar? She looks bigger than 23lbs.
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:30 pm

nope that is her!!
she is very bony when you pet her. She was 22 pounds when i got her and she goes between 22 and 26 pounds.. but never over it.
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 4:25 pm

When is a good time to feed. Morning and night? supper time like 4 and then before bed at 10. ??
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Morning and night is my preferred times.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 pm

I feed mine at 7am and then again between 6pm and 7pm. If she's good at holding her poop at night then maybe you should try feeding her just in the evenings? I used to feed my girl once a day for a while, but then when we got Kody he had to eat in the morning so I split it up.
Back to top Go down
Sonya-Lyn
Newborn
Newborn
Sonya-Lyn

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:51 am

I was feeding just a night and the pet store lady said that i should feed twice a day that by feeding her only at night she had to much poop to hold, and that is why she was pooping in her crate. So I started to feed at 5-6 am and 4 pm... so that way she shouldn't have to much poop in her for the day. So I give her alittle over half a cup in the morning and a cup when i get home at 4pm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pooping in Crate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pooping in Crate   Pooping in Crate Empty

Back to top Go down

Pooping in Crate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1