It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Making some long overdue changes!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Making some long overdue changes! Empty
PostSubject: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

So I'm actually going to take my own advice for once. I coach people all the time on not giving in to their dogs and weaning them onto raw, but sadly I have been soft on my chi girls and given in to their preference for kibble, canned and THK food.

This will sound contradictory but today I went out and bought a 24 lb bag of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck formula and 61 lbs of raw young chicken thighs. lol I've tried Blue Buffalo Wilderness before in the Chicken/Turkey formula...about halfway through the bag my dogs had horrible reactions so we returned it and never looked back. This will be my first time trying the Wilderness Duck formula though, fingers crossed it agrees with my pack. Bought it because it was at a good price and I like to try new things for variety. Smile I'll update on our experience with Wilderness Duck when we've had some time to try it out...won't be for a few months at the very least since we have a lot of older food to finish first. I'm still excited to try it though!

Now I've tried raw with my chi girls and they refuse it unless they are absolutely starving. Literally it takes 2 days of no food before Faith will eat raw food on the 3rd day. Rolling Eyes So they are ALMOST as headstrong as me. However I've decided to put my foot down and this time I'm getting serious about getting my chi girls to eat raw at least once a week...preferably 3 times a week like my husky. I'm bound and determined to turn those chihuahuas into REAL dogs. Laughing I'm so serious about it that I bought 61 lbs of raw chicken thighs just for them! Ha, 61 lbs is going to last a looooong time for 2 itty bitty chihuhuas who only need 2 oz of raw a day. But anyway, that just shows how committed I am to making this work!

So starting next week I'm going to be practicing some tough love and re-introducing raw to my girls and this time I'm not backing down. I have a feeling I'm going to be seering chicken thighs and covering them with goodies for a while. I'll definitely be updating on our progress as we go along. Wish me luck...I'm probably going to need it!

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Good luck, girls can be such the diva! the only raw my 2 have been getting is the left over chicken from the chicken breast i cut up for my self. i really waste a lot of chicken cause i have to get all the fat and blood stuff off of it. im so much better eating chicken that i do not prep cause i don't see it all after its cooked!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm

LOL Jenn! I don't like messing with fat and skin so when I buy meat for us humans I buy the boneless and skinless version. But when I buy for the dogs I get whatever is cheapest. My sibe gets meat that is bone and skin inclusive. However the chicken thighs I bought for my chi girls today have bone but they are skinless. But at least your dogs get the leftovers you cut up rather than it going into the trash. Smile

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Val, i do that on the boneless/skinless version! (there's a reason a was a vegetarian for so long, well still kind of as i only do chicken, turkey, and fish/seafood, no red meat or pork)

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Ginger hasn't had raw since I left on Monday afternoon. She'll get a drumstick today. The last time she had a drumstick, she didn't eat all the meat. Then she got a thigh the next time time and didn't eat all the meat (she ate all the bone). But I fed the rest of it to her which in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have because she went soft and mucousy the next day. I think she knows how much meat she should be getting with her bone and will stop on her own! Cool

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:03 pm

My two prefer the blue buffalo wilderness duck over thk. Ridiculous. They will take raw over anything every day of the week though
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Okay so yesterday was the start for the chi girls. I decided to cut the raw meat off the chicken thigh and save the raw meaty bone for another day. So they had boneless chicken meat that I pan seared and topped with garlic, Nupro, and Perfect Form.

Dinner:
Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0647

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive knowing their history with raw and the firm rejection it always meets with these too.

Plopped their bowls on the ground close together to make it easier for me to make a video and take pics. This is what ended up happening...

lol! Well, it gave me a good laugh anyway.

Glory woofed hers down so I didn't get a chance to take pics. Faith on the other hand took a good 30 minutes to eat that little 2 oz of boneless, skinless chicken! Suspect I finally got a knife and cut it up into bite size pieces for her because after that 30 minutes she had hardly eaten a thing. I think it's because she's got such a tiny mouth and is missing a lot of teeth (due to her previous owners lack of dental care she had a lot of rotting teeth removed before we adopted her).

A couple pics of Faith trying to eat her partial raw chicken...

Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0656

Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0658

Now I am a bit concerned about Faith today because she hasn't eaten a thing and she hasn't had a BM at all today. Neutral I don't want to jump the gun and go all paranoid but it is weighing on my mind. She is otherwise fine, acting normal and all. She even plays with the food I've given her today but she just won't eat it....which is very unusual for Faith, normally she would eat until she's ready to burst...she has no self control when it comes to food. I don't think a blockage is likely since it was purely partial raw meat, no bone or anything that could get stuck. I'm hoping she starts eating soon. Neutral

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Man! They're so little that their serving of food looked as big as their heads!

I hope Faith is OK!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I know, it looks like a lot of food especially next to Dakota's chicken quarter. But I weighed them out and Dakota's chicken quarter is a pound, and each Chihuahua got 2 oz.

Faith is not better, she's actually been vomiting several times. Poor girl is hungry but when she eats it comes right back up so she's back to not eating. Hubby told me no more raw for Faith, ever. He's fine with Dakota and Glory on raw but he wants Faith to stay on THK and/or kibble, etc. Honestly, judging from her reaction, I am inclined to agree. Faith, of course, is our super sensitive one if you remember. Well, can't say I didn't try. I really hope she feels better tomorrow, hopefully since she's not kept anything down that will mean her tummy will have a break overnight. We'll see how she does...poor, poor girl. Sad

I'm thinking of trying the raw meaty chicken thigh bone tomorrow for Glory without searing it. Maybe just sprinkle with Nupro and garlic and let her have it and see how she does.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Hope Faith feels better! I would be paranoid too. That's how us doggie moms are!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Oh poor Faith...I would tend to agree no more raw for Faith and stick to what you know agrees with her. I can't believe how sensitive she is!

I feel so bad for her right now, and you, Val....

I do hope she gets better by tomorrow...

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Poor little Faith! You tried, Val... stick with what works.

Making some long overdue changes! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:01 am

Poor baby. Hope she feels better soon!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the support and well wishes for Faith. She seems to be back to normal today! She had a normal BM and a very healthy appetite. She ate her normal breakfast and is drinking normally also. No vomiting today which is excellent! Definitely going to stick with what we know works for her from now on, no more raw attempts. I'm so happy she's better, she's so little and fragile it's hard not to worry!

I'll be trying a raw meaty chicken thigh bone with Glory tonight, fingers crossed she eats it okay.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm

SO happy to hear little Faith is back to normal!

Ginger got a 6" piece of buffalo tendon yesterday, and she decided to also eat Storm's...this morning's BM was good, but she just had another, and 1/3 of it had a mucousy film over it even if it was firm. Not sure if I want to give her that again...

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree, might want to stay away from that or maybe wait a while and try a smaller quantity. I try to stay away from beef based chews/organs and stuff, more often than not they don't agree with my sibe.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I agree, might want to stay away from that or maybe wait a while and try a smaller quantity. I try to stay away from beef based chews/organs and stuff, more often than not they don't agree with my sibe.

She LOVED the marrow bone I gave her today. I bought 1 to try it out. The pet store that I went to had raw marrow bones, which was cheaper than the baked one I just gave her, so if she takes to the raw marrow bone the same (I prefer to give her raw bones), and it agrees with her, I'll be getting those so I can give bones to both and not just one.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 8:10 pm

It's official, Glory is a real dog! She made her momma proud today! Very Happy She ate her entire bone inclusive chicken thigh, I couldn't be more proud right now.

Pics!

Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0685

Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0692

Making some long overdue changes! IMG_0708

And a couple vids!

While there was still meat on the bone...

Chowing down on the raw bone, in the last part she actually got the bone stuck in her top teeth. I couldn't stop laughing! But I was nice and stopped the vid and popped the bone out and she took and chewed it up without incident. Laughing

I'm so proud of Glory! Very Happy

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Way to go Glory! That last part had me cracking up lol!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:21 am

That was TOO cute with the bone stuck in her teeth! Laughing
I'm so proud of Glory too!

Storm seems to be very interested in the drumstick Ginger gets every dinner. He's very respectful and just watch her. And when she's done, he'll go sniff and lick where she was eating her drumstick....then he'll go eat his dinner.

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Awww, GO GLORY!! The videos are just too cute. I love your pack, Val!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making some long overdue changes!   Making some long overdue changes! Empty

Back to top Go down

Making some long overdue changes!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1