It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Excersise........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jesmonky
Newborn
Newborn
jesmonky

Excersise........ Empty
PostSubject: Excersise........   Excersise........ EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am

Our Husky, Lucie is 3 1/2 weeks old. I'm looking to find out the best time to exercise her before bed. I have be hesitant to run her due to her age, I don't want to hurt her or do any damage to her growing joints, muscles etc.... I'll do an occasional jog for a block her & there but not consistent. She gets walked at 0400, 0700, 1300 & 2100 during the week and on weekends she out with me all day. The bed time walk (2100) is usually double the rest to try & get her tired before bed however it seems to energizer her. She get all spun up & literally goes crazy in the house, wanting to play etc.... Am I walking her too late in the evening? Any advice....
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Excersise........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excersise........   Excersise........ EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm going to assume you meant she is 3 1/2 months old and not 3 1/2 weeks old, LOL. Anyways, you don't mention how long a duration your walks are.

The bedtime walk being double of whatever your normal walks are, to me, is not necessary. My dads wife explained it once to me this way, when mentioning the longer I walk my dogs (my past Huskies) the more energized they are afterwards...she said it's like winding up a toy, and then releasing the toy. It goes crazy! So to me, you are actually "waking up" your pup, right before bedtime. My longest walks are my early evening walks, gives them time to unwind afterwards. If you need to walk just before bed so your pup can relieve itself (pee/poop) my opinion is once it's done, turn around and go back home. Your pup is at an age *right now* where everything you do on a schedule, is the schedule she will keep for the rest of her life, so now is the time to set up that schedule to work for you now, and in the future.

Back to top Go down
jesmonky
Newborn
Newborn
jesmonky

Excersise........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excersise........   Excersise........ EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 am

Smile Yes 3 1/2 months... Her walks are usually 1 1/2 miles with the final right at 3 miles. ok so I tried walking her at around 1900, like you stated above and what she previously did she was jazzed up at the end of the walk...so we played in the yard, she ran around wide open.... the good thing around bed time she was relaxed & settled in easier...

I think this may work out so I will start this... I have come to realize she is an AC type gal... does not like the Ga heat.

thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Excersise........ Empty
PostSubject: Re: Excersise........   Excersise........ Empty

Back to top Go down

Excersise........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1