It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma Empty
PostSubject: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:10 am

Our shepsky has been stiff getting up from his naps, so we bought him a couple of orthopedic memory foam dog beds. He likes to sleep with all of his legs stretched out, so we had to get him the XL size of bed!

The thing I am puzzling over is -
he likes to lie across hallways, in the center of the living room, in front of the TV, etc!
I tried putting the dog beds there, but stepping around them all the time has been getting annoying!

So now I want to move the beds into "corners" (out of the traffic flow) but I don't think he will use them then?
I have never seen him laying in corners.
Argh.

Any thoughts?!

PS Here he is in one of his favorite spots...in a hallway near the living room...so you can see why I can't put a dog bed there for him!!

PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma Img_0410
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:44 am

I've given up trying to figure out how to make a dog's sleep more comfortable. We've bought those raised beds, memory foam beds, cheap blankets etc. Sometimes they use them, sometimes I find them sleeping in the dirt in the middle of the yard or on the concrete patio.

Dogs... jocolor
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:58 am

LOL Laughing
I agree.

Maybe I am just trying too hard to Get.My.Moneys.Worth.

Rumo will happily lay on the beds ... as long as I put them in the middle of the living room floor or in the place where all the hallways connect (his favorite sleeping spots). sigh, Dogs!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Mine that looks a lot like yours won't use a bed. I swapped to just a comforter that I can just walk across like a rug.

Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm

They want to be in the middle of their people, even if they are sleeping so, places you go the most is where they will sleep, preferable where you'd wake them if you tried to leave the area or, where, you'll have to step over them or move them if you want to get to a place you go often throughout the day.

Just put your favorite chair in a corner, right behind the dog bed and, I promise, the dog will be on the bed every time you want to get across it to get in your chair. LOL
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Leo doesn't really like beds ether only uses them when his cold other wise its the cool dirt outside or the tile floor in the middle of a walk way, haha.
Back to top Go down
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Jasparr isn't interested in sleeping on beds. He likes to hump them. Doesn't matter that he's fixed. Hasn't grown out of it in 5 years. I've given up having a dog bed for him.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 12:04 am

I've tried beds, my two will lay next to it. I put down blankets/comforters and they'll dig themselves a little nest in them. Kohdi likes to lay underneath a bedside bench in the master bedroom, it's quite cozy for him. In the winter, when the temps get much colder, I'd lay a fluffy soft Sherpa blanket down there. Because somehow I didn't think his fluff would be enough to keep him warm Razz He refused to go under there until it was gone. Funny thing is, neither one of them has a problem making a bed on my bed Smile Mishka dug right thru a down comforter once making a nest in my bed, while Kohdi likes to lay on top all of my pillows.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Well, Rumo has officially won!

I put his big dogbed in the corner of the living room all weekend, and he used it ZERO times. (It sure made our living room look nice for 48 hours though, very spacious :-)

So, I gave up.
I put it back in the middle of the living room. He is laying there happily now.

I think the bed does help with his stiffness...he limps a bit less after napping on the bed. (He is also taking joint supplements). Yep, he's not a young guy!
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 12:34 pm

@li_izumi
LOL, Well, you have saved yourself a lot of money! Some of those dogbeds cost a few hundred dollars and look nicer than human sofas...

@Artic_Wind
I think Rumo would like an old comforter that he could dig/nest in! Sometimes he turns around and digs in the carpet before laying down (he gets reprimanded, but forgets sometimes)

And yep, we have seen Rumo go outside on a gray cold winter day, stretch out on the deck, and have a nice snooze. So much for the need for soft warm dog beds...got to keep it in perspective! :-)
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 7:58 pm

bluemoods wrote:
They want to be in the middle of their people, even if they are sleeping

Yup... all three of them under my office chair.  Laughing

PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma 29106028497_667c89d751_z
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 8:00 pm

Shepsky13 wrote:
Well, Rumo has officially won!

I put his big dogbed in the corner of the living room all weekend, and he used it ZERO times. (It sure made our living room look nice for 48 hours though, very spacious :-)

So, I gave up.
I put it back in the middle of the living room. He is laying there happily now.

I think the bed does help with his stiffness...he limps a bit less after napping on the bed. (He is also taking joint supplements). Yep, he's not a young guy!

Was just thinking... what if you moved the bed from the center of the room to the corner over a week or two? Every day move it 6 inches closer to the corner. Maybe he won't notice that it's being moved. lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 pm

@dvflyer
That's quite a crowd under your office chair! Very Happy I hope you can focus! You are very popular.

Yep, I have heard about the incremental moving of things...crates, dog beds, etc. because dogs are such creatures of habit...I should give it a try! When his bed was in the corner, Rumo kept laying down exactly in the spot where it "used to be". ( But I guess we don't care that much, it's not like we have anybody to impress, since our most frequent visitors are 13 year old kids :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma   PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma Empty

Back to top Go down

PUzzled by Dog Bed Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1