It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Getting a puppy a 6 weeks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
huntrthehusky
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2018-08-19

Getting a puppy a 6 weeks Empty
PostSubject: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 am

So I've been looking to get a husky since I was 17 but its like every breeder in Miami that I come across is trying to get give them away earlier than they are supposed to the breeder I'm getting Huntr from is giving him to me at 6 weeks I informed her that it is illegal in FL to separate the puppies from their mom earlier than 8 weeks and she insisted that it was okay including the vet she takes the mom to but I'm still kind of scared to go pick him up so early ( yes I've done my research on owning a husky ) I've been shopping for him since he was born lol I have tons of toys, beds, a big cage for indoors and a big kennel for days he goes outside one thing I am worried about is.. I am interested in feeding raw but what age should I start feeding him? I will take him to the vet myself to see if he is allergic to anything
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 3:11 pm

I would insist she keep pup with mom until 8 weeks or turn her in if it's illegal. There's a reason why it's illegal in so many states and should b in all of them. Puppies taken early can be a real hand full. They miss out on so many learning moments. These are bad breeders that should be put out of business.

As for raw, puppies need balance in their diet from the start and raw can be difficult to get right when you're learning. With puppies it's often recommended to feed a quality puppy food or freeze dried raw that is prebalanced until they are older and then go full raw a little closer to a year in age. The food allergy tests that vets give don't have very high accuracy rating. I would just slowly transition proteins through an elimination diet if you think there's a possible allergy but not that many dogs have true allergies to things so would feed normal unless you saw allergy signs like excessive itching, dandruff or soft poop. I've fed several different freeze dried products as well as prey model raw (80-10-5-5). Diy is a lot of work but much cheaper than premade. That said though until he's closer to year I would stick with quality kibble with meat toppers (don't feed over 20% total food as just meat), or feed a premade like primal or grandma lucys. Be aware of your vet when choosing one. Not many are raw friendly and will try to put you onto some of their junk food.

Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks EmptySun Aug 19, 2018 4:37 pm

You can start raw at 8 weeks old, begin with chopped or ground chicken meat only. Just a few bites a day at first, begin at 1 Tbs, add a tsp each day until you get to 1/4 cup raw. Now begin adding skin and fat until it's 5% of the raw, a Tsp and a time and, keep adding 1 Tbs per day to the raw. once the fat is there, go with organs to make them 10% bit by bit. A little at a time mix in other animals until you get to a balanced raw diet. Use carrots, pumpkin, apples, pears and sweet potatoes especially for treats, gets the fiber they need into them and, they think it's a special thing to get anything but meat.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 2:40 pm

I agree with Jen, 6 weeks is very young, and a lot of behavioral issues can come up when taking a pup home pre 8 weeks of age, preferably 8-12 weeks. As far as raw feeding, it is best to keep pup on a high quality already balanced food. Puppies must have a balanced diet from day one! meaning they must have 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organs. There is no need for anything else, unless you want to provide a healthy treat, if using vegies or fruit it must be pulverize or lightly steamed or the dog will not get anything nutritionally out of them. I started both of my girls at around 10 weeks old with raw meat, as Jen also mentioned it needs to be 20% or less of total food for the day, or you will have to balance it.Some other products to look at are Stella and Chewy and Only Natural Pet offers a variety of dehydrated raw. I personally give ONP's Air dried food as a topper, but can also be fed exclusively. Lastly, most puppies do not have allergies. My gsd is an exception, noticed her allergy issues at 6 months of age, but clearly had issues since I brought her home at 10 weeks old to chicken.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 5:25 pm

I would notify someone if she is letting them go that early, sounds like a back yard breeder. Have the parents been health tested, hips and eyes?
if all the other puppies are taken at 6w and you insist she keep yours till 8w not sure he will learn much with no other puppies around.
We adopted Finn at 7 months (we think, i think he was younger) his behavior screams left the litter to soon. My arms are still a mess with him chewing on me trying to play, its like he never learned that it hurts and is not a thing to do. i have been working on correcting it since day one and some days its good others not. Jack has been schooling him some but even some days he hides from him because he is over his puppy shit.
Just know you will have a lot of extra work a head of you if you do get this puppy that early. do not expect it to learn very much from you that young either, there will be lots of accidents, lots of waking up at night to let him out and will need food and potty breaks through out the day, you can not leave him for long during those first few weeks.
just things to think about

PostSubject: Re: Getting a puppy a 6 weeks   Getting a puppy a 6 weeks Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting a puppy a 6 weeks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1