It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Shiloh's scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gclark1990
Newborn
Newborn

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 am

Shiloh's scrapbook TdNUoth

Hi guys.

I've had Shiloh since 1st July, we got her at about 10 weeks so she's about 4.5 months.

I've made one other thread before in General Discussion because she's a very small girl (only about 14lb at 4 months or so). Maybe she'll be a tiny girl or maybe she'll have a growth spurt to bring her up to 'normal' range. Either way she's lovely.

She has some curious physical features which could be because she's still small and growing, could just be genetics. Quite big ears, mostly pink nose, I think a long muzzle? Looks as though she'll be short haired.

She's a great little girl - full of energy of course. She can already sit on command, stay on command (currently if I place a treat on the floor she will stay for about 5 seconds before rushing over to it, working on improving this Razz ), and plays fetch if she wants to. When she wants to she'll play fetch no problem, but if she doesn't feel like it only a treat will persuade her to bother.

She sleeps in her crate at night no problem now.

The only behavioural problems we still have to work on her the toilet training (since we've only just started taking her outside after her injections), and jumping at people (in a HELLO!!!! way rather than anything aggressive).

She also still bothers us when we eat our dinner. If anyone has tips on how to stop this that would be great. We have tried feeding her at the same time when we can but she'll finish her food and then come running over to us. We've tried treat rewarding to sit and stay instead of sniffing around us but to do this for a full meal would require a lot of treats...and right now we're crating her while we eat but of course she whines.

Here are some photos of her since we got her, just a selection from my phone!

Shiloh's scrapbook Us1ZLGB

Shiloh's scrapbook IrNVESZ

Shiloh's scrapbook TdhcBEd

Shiloh's scrapbook VUSQtXF

Shiloh's scrapbook PZuNj6E

Shiloh's scrapbook F8Rx8Is

Shiloh's scrapbook BH8wvkb

Shiloh's scrapbook MBC8sXn
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 11:04 am

Cute pup. Lots of personality in those pics.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyMon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Super cute. She looks Siberian Husky to me, she is a "red" so that accounts for her light colored (liver) nose/pigmentation. The ears, most do grow into them and you won't see that for a little while yet. She is adorable, congrats and have fun! They grow so fast!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyTue Aug 21, 2018 2:01 am

Cute pup, and that's an interesting "snow nose" (the darkish nose with the pink stripe)
As Jimmy said, she's a red so her 'points' (her nose and the area around her eyes and I think the pads on her paws) are going to be "skin coloured."

I *do* love your wallpaper - bet it's rough to keep clean (or it will be with a puppy!)

You're working on one way to teach her not to beg by crating her. The other way - if you have the patience for it - is to set a limit on how close she can come during meal time. As I was growing up, that was the doorway to the dining room. If a dog crossed the threshold, they were promptly set back beyond it. It takes time - and I presume you're finding out that Huskies are stubborn little beasts - but in the long run it's well worth it to be able to eat in peace.

Jumping dog: the best solution I've found to that is to simply step on his leash and gently pull. Leash goes up, dog goes down. Again, this isn't for someone who has no patience, but it's better to have a dog who looks at you and asks if they can say "Hi!" than one who jumps on everyone.

One of my favourite quotes: "Train your puppy *now* to be the dog you want it to become." Meaning, for example, if you don't want your DOG on your bed, you don't let the puppy be on the bed.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
gclark1990
Newborn
Newborn

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptySat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 am

Thanks for the comments all Smile

The wallpaper is certainly a bit 'unique' Razz but I like it.

This week, we were finally able to take her outside! Now it's the interesting period of trying to toilet train her successfully. It's only been since Wednesday we could take her out so it's early days, but so far she seems to be going number two outside just fine, and peeing is about 50/50. She has done it a few times but also come back inside and peed in the crate (which I think is just a little bit too large at the moment, where she has a bit more room than the ol' turn around and lie down and no more measurement. But as she grows into it it'll be a good crate. For now perhaps I'll buy a smaller one).

Luckily I have 10 days off work so I'm really basing my days around toilet training her, taking her out several times a day at scheduled times especially after meals etc.

Last Wednesday at the vet she was weighed at just 14lb, light even for a 4-month-old girl. I decided to keep a weekly weight check going to monitor her growth.

Weds 15th Aug: 14.1lb
Weds 22nd Aug: 16.8lb

So 2.7lb growth in a week, that seems a good rate. I'll keep this updated in this thread along with the pictures as much for myself as a little diary as for anybody else!

Here are a few pictures from her first couple of days of walks! She loves the river we walk down next to, and of course she's been in sniff heaven with the flowers and grassy park.

Shiloh's scrapbook 4pzQvJ8

Shiloh's scrapbook AdRMiKC

Shiloh's scrapbook UCtN5Aq
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm

she is so cute, love her snow nose Leo has that pink strip too. beautiful last pic.
Back to top Go down
gclark1990
Newborn
Newborn

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 am

Hi guys! Been a couple of months since I posted anything more on here, thought I'd do so and have a look around the forums.

Last time I posted I was concerned about her weight, since at 4 months she was only 14 pounds. Well, we've been doing consistent bi-weekly measurements and they are below:

15th Aug: 14.1lb
22nd Aug: 16.8lb
6th Sep: 19.8lb
19th Sep: 23.2lb
3rd Oct: 26.7lb
18th Oct: 29.1lb
2nd Nov (today): 32.4lb

So she's shot up to 32.4 pounds at 6 months of age (well, 6 and a half I guess!). Her growth has been quite consistent, so I wonder at what point she will stop.

I know that female huskies breed standard weight is 35-50lb, so if she's 32.4lb now at just over 6 months then I think she will probably fall into that range right? I'm not sure when I can expect her growth to slow down, haha.

And another batch of pictures!

First, a couple from a recent day out at the park. Undoubtedly her favourite place that we take her. She gets to go off leash and run around since it's all grass, bushes, trees and other dogs as far as the eye can see. She's never allowed off-leash anywhere else, so here is her 'special' place.  Razz

Shiloh's scrapbook 2

Shiloh's scrapbook 1

A few pictures in the bedroom, just to see her clearly. She's quite a delicate looking girl.

Shiloh's scrapbook 6

Shiloh's scrapbook 4

Shiloh's scrapbook 5

And lastly, happily taking up her new role as my partner's pillow.

Shiloh's scrapbook 3
Back to top Go down
gclark1990
Newborn
Newborn

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 5:11 am

I do have a couple of questions though. She does seem to have a couple of appearance "faults":

1. Her face is quite narrow compared to other huskies I see, and her tail seems quite long

Using photos above/general experience, are the above things that can sometimes just happen with huskies depending on genetics? Or perhaps because she's still only about 6 months?

2. Most importantly, I'm not feeling much of an undercoat with her. With other huskies I've seen and played with, you can distinctly feel that fuzzy undercoat. With Shiloh, it almost seems like an undercoat isn't there. Is there any chance this is something that would come later and is just yet to develop? Or could I be looking at a genetic 'fault' here?

It doesn't matter as I love her to bits either way of course but just curious if anyone here can shed any light! I'm unsure what to expect at 6 months.

Thanks guys Smile
Back to top Go down
Sasha_in_FL
Puppy
Puppy
Sasha_in_FL

Female Join date : 2019-03-15

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am

She is so beautiful!! I'm new to owning a husky so unfortunately I can't really help you in your asked questions. Just wanted to say it doesn't seem as if my husky has an undercoat either! She just doesn't look as furry as other huskies I see. I've also been told that her snout is very narrow too. But the lovely people of this forum have told me that she looks perfectly normal so I'm going to guess your girl does too. Again, beautiful girl! I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shiloh's scrapbook Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shiloh's scrapbook   Shiloh's scrapbook Empty

Back to top Go down

Shiloh's scrapbook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1