It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tridans
Newborn
Newborn

Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? Empty
PostSubject: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello all, I am new here and still getting the hang of the layout. I have a 3yr old female Husky named Zero (seabrook’s Siberian Sub- Zero) and I am battling flea control as we live in Houston so we have them all year round. Zero has very bad reactions (almost seizures) to oral flea Meds (Capstar mainly) so my vet says topical spot treatments only. But given her thick undercoat, simply parting the hair and applying to the skin isnt that simple. Even parting all the way down, her cotton undercoat instantly wicks it up and it seems to do very little good. Plus due to our summer temps, we have an in ground pool that she swims in every single day. Short of shaving a small patch of her coat for application, any ideas on how we can successfully administer her dose?
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Here is the medical issue section. Hopefully someone can help you out.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/f2-medical-issues

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Hold the applicator so the top touches the skin then squeeze i have a wooly boy who hates messed with and that's how I get it on him... One hand on the collar the other holding the applicator top down and squeeze... The stuff transport through the skin via the d
Skin oil, I believe, so to move, even if it gets on the base of the hair, I think it will still disperse. Best bet fleas is probably fipronil with an insect growth regulator. My preference is pyriproxifen.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 pm

You will have to hurt her feelings and make her stay out of the water for at least 72 hours and that will help as much as anything. They aren't kidding when they say don't bathe for 2-3 days before or 24 hours after application. It does make a difference. Not sure how she might react but I have had good luck with the saresto collar on my cat and it isn't water finicky and lasts long enough to aid in stopping the cycle.

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 pm

If you’re using a topical preventative, you need to let it sit on dry skin for at least 48 hours (preferably 72 hours). If that isn’t an option I would check out Seresto flea and tick collars. They work wel and are Veternarian approved unlike other flea collars. They last for 8 months and are water proof.
Back to top Go down
Jc68
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Yaknow, you could treat your yard, there are some very effective treatments to keep fleas, ticks, etc at bay, then maybe your problem would be minimal as the problem may be other animals that are infested coming into contact with your pup. If your dog has allergies to the medicine, look for ways to stop the fleas from getting on him
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 5:13 pm

What topical have you tried?  I have a wooly husky and, yes, after application there is a patch of dried sticky fur.  But, I place the tip of the applicator all the way down through the fur so the stuff hits the skin.  For my big boy, I put the stuff on in 3 spots - between the shoulder blades, mid back and base of tail.  For my smaller boy, its only between the shoulder blades and base of tail.

Now - choice of treatment:  At least in our area, for spot-on treatments, fipronil works best (permethrin though great for ticks, is only effective against adult fleas for maybe 3 weeks.)  And, an topical with insect growth regulator makes sure any eggs laid by an occasional adult won't develop into an adult flea.  

Since you probably also have a tick problem down there, I'll suggest the regimen I use if you don't want to use ingestibles:

First:  apply Vetguard Plus for permethrin for ticks/fleas and pyriproxyfen (an insect growth regulator targeting eggs/larvae)  Use this every 4 months as the pyripoxyfen is good for up to 4 months.

Second: 3 weeks later, apply Sentry fiproguard for fipronil (NOT the plus, you don't need a 2nd dose of insect growth regulator)  Apply this every 3 months as fipronil kills adult fleas for about 3 months.

Third:  3-4 weeks later, apply Freedom 45 for a dose of permethrin only to protect against ticks.  Apply every 6 weeks as permethrin is good for TICKS ONLY for 6 weeks.

Then:  house and grounds...vacuum vacuum vacuum.  Make sure you get the edges of the walls, under furniture, under edges of any area rugs.  Wash all bedding, human and dog.  Also treat any cats you may have as they are a common carrier of fleas that infect dogs.  There are also sprays that you or a pesticide applicator can apply to your property.  I don't use them as the above regimen has taken care of fleas for me.

Good luck.

And - as mentioned above, you WILL have to keep dog out of water for about 48 hours.  It takes a while for the active compound to distribute through the skin.

Also - if you have cats, keep them away from the dog until the permethrin is dry.
Back to top Go down
Gpavlik12
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Hey everyone! My husky Nyla is 2 years old and has been acting different lately. She is urinating in her cage after being taken out, digging at herself and has lost a lot of weight. She has not lost her appetite and still is very active playing with my other 3 huskies. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Gpavlik12,
Please start a new thread for your dogs issues so they are not confused with the original poster.
side note, if i were you i would take her to a vet ASAP.

PostSubject: Re: Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?   Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have ?? Re: medical issue. Is there a Health forum?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1