It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ice cream and dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyTue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 pm

Typically, as a treat after a long "hike"(I'm in Florida, so they aren't real hikes. It's so flat it's just a very long walk, lol), I like to give Tetra a little extra treat. That treat is typically ice cream because it's her favorite. I was wondering how you guys felt about giving dogs ice cream and how much is too much? Do you feed your pup(s) ice cream ever? Tetra's never has a negative reaction to the dairy, but I know dairy isn't overly great for dogs. I also just really wanted to share this photo of Tetra and her half brother, Merlin, sharing ice cream. It was his first time trying ice cream, and I think it's safe to say he loved it. lol!
Ice cream and dogs _dsc9510
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 am

Hm.. where to begin.  A lot of soft "ice cream" isn't ice cream at all.  My favourite is actually a yogurt ... however McDonalds is actually made mostly from milk products (Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.)

But to seriously answer your question - since most dogs lose their tolerance for lactose shortly after they're weaned, I'd bet that you'll know real quickly if you give them more than they can handle. The primary "evidence" is gas, followed by diarrhea followed by throwing up. If you let them have some ice cream and their stools are looser than normal, you might not want to let them have more than they just had.

On the other hand, some dogs can drink milk, eat cheese and ice cream with no perceptible effect - take your chances.

That I have found, there is no cumulative bad effect from letting them have milk products.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 am

From what I've seen(and I've checked just to make sure she didn't have any issues with digesting it), every time I've given her ice cream, she's never had any diarrhea or loose stools. That's good to know that you haven't found that there's any negative long term effects from giving milk products. We mainly go to Twistee Treat or Dairy queen, but I never knew most weren't made out of milk Shocked I guess maybe I should look into that a little more before I give her too much more Embarassed
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyWed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 am

Dairy Queen is a 5% low fat ice cream (ICE CREAM: MILKFAT AND NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, WHEY, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, GUAR GUM, POLYSORBATE 80, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, CAKE CONES, SMALL GENERAL INGREDIENT DECLARATION.)

and Twisty Treat won't even list their ingredients ... but a couple of quick reads suggest that isn't "Real" (or Ice cream for that matter.)

If she enjoys it - and I'd look for real(ish) ice cream, it's probably because it reduces her overall body temperature which is going to make them feel better (as well as the natural sweeteners) *I* would look at ingredients closely.  I don't know if it's used in "ice cream" at all but remember the artificial sweetener xylitol is poisonous to dogs, I'd be careful.
ETA: Xylitol is used in a couple of store brand low fat / diet ice creams, but not that I found in DQ, et al.

Interesting side note - carrageenan, found in both the sites that list their ingredients is said to be a carcinogen.  But falling where it does on the ingredient list it's probably not a problem in the quantities you or your dogs are ingesting.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 12:12 am

@bluemoods explained the milk thing in my food sensitivities thread. If I understood it correctly, a dog that is given milk/milk products consistently after they are a puppy, don't experience the lactose intolerance issues.

My two get ice cream sometimes, but they will experience the diareah. So it's gotten rarer and rarer that they get any. Sometimes I can't resist those faces though.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyThu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 am

We make a trip to the I've cream shop with the boys. We get a small vanilla, Wayne feeds to them with a spoon to prolong the joy. They are crazy about ice cream. Z'ev starts whining if we drive by and don't stop (yup, hubby changes his route now if we're not stopping so not too disappoint them)

Never noticed an issue with my guys and dairy.
Back to top Go down
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

Male Join date : 2016-12-10

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs EmptyFri May 17, 2019 9:52 pm

I hear 0% yogurt is safe, but ice cream I wouldn't go there because of the sugars. Try Frosty Paws its ice cream for dogs and you can pick it up at mots pet stores or even the supermarket.

Heres their link

https://www.frostypawstreats.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20-%20Brand%20-%20SKAG%20-%20Frosty%20Paws%20%20-%20Exact%20-%202019&utm_term=frosty%20paws&utm_content=Frosty%20Paws&gclid=CM36z_ruo-ICFQaxswodpaUKFg&gclsrc=ds

Also something my husky likes is Primal Goats Milk. It's good for her and also all organic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ice cream and dogs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice cream and dogs   Ice cream and dogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Ice cream and dogs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1