It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VickiDogMom4
Newborn
Newborn

Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) Empty
PostSubject: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 am

Hi! My name is Vicki and I am a mom to three humans and 4 fur kids. 2 mini schnauzers aged 15 and 2 cocker spaniel aged 10.
Long story short I sent my beloved schnauzer Trinny to peace, recently. Well maybe not but it feels like yesterday.
I'm heartbroken and devastated. After a bit I felt ready to open my heart again. My other doggos are all about the same age and I'm terrified that they will all leave around the same time. The thought of another schnauzer was not an option as I can't look at another without sobbing. ( except her sister who is still with me).
I wanted to rescue, but my husband refuses to have any pitbull or pit mix in the house, our youngest is 14 and he doesn't want to chance anything. Which is why we had purebred so we knew the pedigree, parents etc. With her being 14 we can branch out a bit. Most rescues I looked at had lots of pits and pit mix which were a no, since I'm respecting my husband wishes as he respects mine to add to our pack.
So I look at tons of rescues and find a few pups that clearly have zero pitbull in them.
I apply and get approved for a pup. We picked him up, brought him home.
He was surrendered/taken by the county from a lady that had to many dogs for her ordinance.
He is white and fuzzy, I didnt/don't care about his pedigree, but now I'm curious.
He is looking rather husky to me.
He is smart as a whip. He's been a breeze so far. He s crate trained already, knows sit down and shake. He goes in his crate when I tell him. He plays and plays and plays. He is tireless. He gets bored with toys, so we have a zillion to keep him entertained. He loves to dig. He walks great on a leash. He loves my other dogs and plays endlessly. He loves all people.
So my question is ......
Does he look like a husky? Could he be one?
Any input is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Vicki
Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) 20180910
Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) 20180911
Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) 20180912
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

There could be some in there but probably a little ways down the line. How big and what age is he? If you want to know for sure I would get a Wisdom or Embark test done. Wisdom is pretty cheap and both are easy. Just swab their cheek, send in, wait a few weeks and they email you the results of your dna test.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 11:37 am

He's about 15 pounds at 8 weeks. I love him to pieces. Are those tests accurate?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 11:46 am

I hate to say it but I have to agree with @TwisterII (( I'm going to get myself in trouble with some bad ... )) Siberians are an Asian dog and as such have the almond shaped eye of most asians. Your pup has the typical "round eye" of European / American dogs.

The ears threw me a bit, but some (most?) Huskies have very oversized ears for a bit as they grow up and into the ears (and typically their paws) ... and on that note, for an 8 week old pup, his paws are much too petite for a larger dog.

The results that have been posted here have been surprisingly good. With a mixed breed who "looks like a Husky" they tend to show the Husky as the larger percentage with some oddly surprising breeds in the mix.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 pm

The DNA tests are fairly accurate and getting more so all the time. As the database gets larger should a change be made to the determination of your dog's breed mix they will also update you. They are very good at spotting the breeds. Usually the only thing that might change is the percentage makeup. They also offer health testing with their DNA swab. Both have MDR1 gene mutation testing included. MDR1 is always useful to know as certain medications can cause adverse reactions in dogs with the mutation. Embark offers testing on nearly 200 different genetic markers but you definitely pay for it with them. Wisdom at the cheaper price includes MDR1 and a collapse disorder more prevalent in collie mix dogs. I have done both tests. Embark is more useful for people looking to breed their dogs and deep research into genetics (you get a lot of scientific information). Wisdom is great for general knowledge and you get your results much faster usually.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyMon Sep 24, 2018 5:32 pm

If I were to guess on looks alone, mostly on ears, snout and eyes, I would bet German Shepherd/Husky mix. Maybe some Malamute?
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 am

he is cute, i would say a German shepherd/husky mix.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 pm

15 pounds at 8 weeks, hmmm my pure gsd was 11 pounds at 9 weeks. I am going to say you may have a gsd x husky, the round eyes are off to me, sammy's are the only breed that is a northern type to have a more rounded eye, even gsds do not have rounded eyes. Lovely pup Smile
Back to top Go down
glorth2
Newborn
Newborn
glorth2

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Shepard/something. Shepards can be all white.
Back to top Go down
Jc68
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 pm

That's going to be one beautiful boy. Looks Alaskan Husky, but those ears! Definitely has German Shepherd in him, you'll have to wait until he gets a little older to see what breed is his personality and there could always be more than 2 breeds in him. Still, beautiful dog.
Back to top Go down
huskysizeguy99
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Congratulations on your new pack mate!   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Vicki-
First, my deepest condolences on your loss. I understand completely. My beloved malamute Teaka (means heart companion) passed three years ago and I will never stop missing her. I'm actually very grateful she had very unique look, because I'd loose it if I saw a dog that looked a lot like her.
As to your new pack mate, I'm going to concur and say def not pure Siberian husky. Eyes and ears are not right, more shephard-like, but still certainly could have some husky ancestry. I ran a northern breeds rescue for five years, so I've seen dozens of Siberians and Siberian mixes. The good news is, hey, who cares? One of my pack is a wolf mix. His paternal grandsire was a full blooded grey/timber wolf. I didn't even know this until he was ten years old, a friend of mine is a wildlife biologist and offered to do both buccal swab and blood based DNA tests. Finding out recently wasn't a big deal at all, I love him with all my heart and nothing could change that. The thing that got to me was this: If I'd known my big guy was a wolf mix when we met him at the resuce, I probably wouldn't have taken him! We had a one year old at that time and I was nervous about wolf mixes/hybrids. Thank GOD I adopted him, he's the sweetest, gentlest living creature I've ever known. I can't imagine my life without him! Hopefully my point got through! Take care
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)   Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi! I just got a new Siberian husky puppy (I think?)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1