It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tl6
Newborn
Newborn
Tl6

Male Join date : 2018-10-23

Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job Empty
PostSubject: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Looking for advice

Q: I'm looking to adopt a husky that's 3 year old if not older. I work a 8 - 4 job and was wondering if it would be possible to still own a husky. I have read a previous post about a gentleman getting a husky puppy with a 9 - 5 job. However, my situation is a hair different. Anyways, looking for some advice.

Note: Things about me/things I understand:
- No other pets
- Okay with shedding, barking, farting, drooling
- Can groom dog myself and get occasionally get dog professional groomed
- I can provide morning and night walks/runs. If not, will get a walker
- 2 of 5 working days I plan to have dog at daycare
- I live in apartment, and landlord is okay with breed/size
- Dog will be in crate, and then slowly transition to let out in certain room
- No fence
- No kids
- I live in an area where I get all 4 seasons
- I’ve budget for a dog and understand the expense they will bring/have
- Getting dog for a running/hiking dog. I run half-marathons, I’m working on running full marathons. I'm active.
- I work 7 mins away from home. Can come home during lunch.
- Breed is active/social, i know
- I can provide morning and night walk/run. Weekends can go on long bike rides
- The dog I plan to adopt walks well on leash, create and house trained. Will still take dog to train if needed be
- I’ve always wanted a dog, and fell in love with the breed as a child
- If you recommend another breed of dog, what breed would you suggest
- I don’t like cats or any other animal. Don’t bother recommending. No need to add the comment “pet rock” either.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyTue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 pm

To me you sound like the perfect 'parent' and starting off with ab older dog means you don't have all the new puppy issues to deal with, on the other hand you may find yourself in a position of having to help the dog unlearn behaviours that are unacceptable to you.

Since you're already into running then Husky makes a great companion - but you have to bear in mind that while you're probably used to running on concrete the pups whole being is built around running on snow or 'stuff that has some give' to it - a gravel trail, maybe or grass.

You're young with no kids - have you given any thought to what's going to happen if you 'acquire' a running partner who becomes more of a permanent fixture?? (whew, got that out without putting my foot in my mouth, I think)

And what's wrong with a pet rock, they're much lower maintenance that any four legged friend you might get and they don't die on you ...??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Go for it. My three, ages 9, 7 and 5, are in for 11 hours a day right now. Not ideal but they do fine. Lots of our dogs here are in for 8 hours a day and do fine with it. Older dog is ideal to dive into a schedule like that and as long as you are getting it proper exercise the apartment shouldn't be an issue unless dog is a barker. Separation anxiety is normal at first so let your neighbors know that it could happen and you will work through it. Just make sure before you push the dog into super long running and biking that you get it checked out to make sure it will physically hold up to all that and then ease into it.

Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm

While we have a yard (and I happen to work from home right now), our dogs sleep most of the day. So, don't feel bad about leaving them.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

You sound like you are ready for this.

the dog you are looking at, just remember that because you are active and they are an active breed does not mean that husky will be ready to just jump right in with your running.
if it is not being walked right now you will have to build the pup up to your level over time, so maybe take it out for a warm up, go home and finish you run to start. As stated, please stick to dirt, gravel if you can to run them on for the joints.

our pups get 2-30min walks a day and then fun on the weekends. locked up for 6-9hrs a day. one is crated the other has the house to sleep on the sofa.

Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 12:45 pm

dvflyer wrote:
While we have a yard (and I happen to work from home right now), our dogs sleep most of the day.  So, don't feel bad about leaving them.

Yep, I also have a yard & work in my home office. My dog also spends most of his day dozing (but he whines to notify me when it's time for lunch, time for his afternoon walk, and when it's quitting time - not allowed to work past 5, or he complains)

He doesn't really use our yard for exercise...he just sniffs around, lies in it, and rolls in the grass. He would be fine without a fenced yard actually - as long he got his daily exercise (for him, it's two hourlong walk/jogs +15 min. train/play).

My favorite thing about getting an older dog was that he came potty-trained (zero accidents yet, knock on wood) and he was past the chewing stage.

I think your plan/lifestyle sounds fine for an adult dog! If you can make it home to give him a potty break at lunch, and can give him daily exercise, it should work out fine!

- Since you live in apartment, check to see that he doesn't have a howling/vocal personality...?

- Since you will leave to work daily, check to see that he does not have a history of separation anxiety...?

Back to top Go down
arexniba
Newborn
Newborn
arexniba

Male Join date : 2017-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job EmptyMon Nov 12, 2018 3:39 pm

My husky is almost 2 years old (in a couple of days). My wife and I work more than 8hrs a day, and that's not including our 3-4hr commute to and from work. The area we live in has pretty big lots, so our husky gets to enjoy a pretty big yard. Keep in mind that most of the articles about their personalities are true, they're destructive when bored. We got several holes in our back yard & our water drip systems have been torn to pieces. We have a shed in the back yard too that's technically his dog house lol. But for the most part, he's good. We leave him toys, food, and he runs around and plays with a squirrel that hangs back there. When we're home, he comes and plays with us. And when we can, we take him to the dog park and/or for walks. Our life is pretty tough, we are a young couple with a 1 year old son, and our jobs are demanding. Let alone, Northern California is a very expensive place to live, so we have no choice if we want to own a home.

I think you're on the right track to adopt an older husky. All I warn you is to make sure you train that dog with a balance--of having you and being alone. If you don't teach the dog that balance, you will have a lot of problems caused by boredom and anxiety.

And one last piece of advice, if you can leave a door in your apartment open through out the day, I'd highly suggest that. Otherwise, you will find a lot of feces and urine in your home. We lived in a 3 story house, and my wife had given birth. I asked my cousin to check on my dog, and I kid you not, he defecated on every, single, floor. It was a nightmare! But it's a reason that, in our smaller home, we usually keep the doors open so he can go outside and do his business. This breed is big, so you'll have big poops to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job   Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice: leave 3 y.o. alone during 8 hour job

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1