It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Types of natural chew toys?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scidia
Newborn
Newborn
Scidia

Female Join date : 2018-09-16

Types of natural chew toys? Empty
PostSubject: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm

While out on the town, I discovered this really neat local pet supply store with a metric TON of different chew toys and treats!
I scooped up an Elk antler for Kazu, because our Pit, Bonnie loves the things, and he went to town on it! He's had it sparingly for about 2 weeks and he's already worn it down. Of course, he's spat out the large bone shards he's broken off, but he loves eating the spongy insides.

I plan on bringing him with me next time I go in, but I haven't even heard of half of their natural dog chew selection! I guess I want to know, if there are any chews I should avoid getting him, or if there are any really, really good chew toys out there that big pups tend to love, but not destroy right away!

Some of the things they have are the typical rawhides, smoked beef bones, ribs, and duck/chicken jerky. But they also have things like Elk antlers, deer antlers, cow hooves, goat hooves, pig ears, lamb ears, water buffalo horns, duck feet, chicken feet... Honestly I can't remember them all.

Are there any here to avoid? Or maybe a rule of thumb about certain types of chews?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Any type of smoked or cooked bone is bad akc has an article here https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/exercise-caution-when-giving-your-dog-a-bone/
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 pm

I avoid rawhides due to a bad experience. We've purchased ears, antlers, filled bones and himalayan chews. Antlers and filled bones have lasted the longest. They seemed to like the filled bones the most (makes sense). Cheese was the most popular with them.

Not a chew, but we've also purchased chicken feet. They love them and you can pick them up at asian markets for relatively cheap.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyMon Jan 21, 2019 5:39 pm

My shepsky enjoys:
- ears (they're affordable!)
- beef trachea tubes (supposed to contain nutrients good for joints?)
- bully sticks (high in protein. the thicker they are, the longer they occupy him. the thin ones are gone in a minute!)

I tried one of those smoked bones and it splintered into small sharp pieces when he chewed on it! Shocked So I don't buy those.

PS I usually bring my dog, but the last time I shopped, I was alone in the chewy aisle. I kept getting approached by the passing dogs!! Apparently a human holding a chewy, is like a dog magnet... Razz
Back to top Go down
Huskyfollower
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfollower

Female Join date : 2019-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 am

Personally, I love cod fish skins, and any sort of dried fish as my natural chews! My pups love'em, but they do stink. I give them out when the dogs are on their runs Smile
Back to top Go down
Scidia
Newborn
Newborn
Scidia

Female Join date : 2018-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Thanks lostmaniac and Shepsky13 for the warning about smoked bones! I'll avoid those, as I'd rather not have to worry about splinters in Kazu's mouth.

After reading this, I think I'll look around the store for some filled bones or bully sticks. If I don't see any in the store, at last I know they have ears in stock for sure!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am

Mine love the water buffalo horns best as a longer chew. They find bully sticks, freeze dried / dehydrated tripe, necks, esophagus/trachea and fish skins are an awesome treat. Keep in mind some of these treats or chews are high fat or high calorie in addition to the high protein. We have a store near by that has a Vital Essentials Raw bar which is awesome. (Raw Dehydrated or Freeze dried single items!)
Check out chains like Pet Wants, Pet People (in NC), Bentley's which I have locally but are in other states.  Or look for natural and holistic pet stores. Or you can see if you have a more rural farm store as they usually have pig ears, hooves, antlers, and bully selections at least. (stores I know of Farm n Fleet, Tractor Supply, Rural King). If you find items you like you can also usually find them online sometimes even at chewy.com

Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? EmptyThu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am

Another good place to get dog chews like antlers and raw bones is where i am is the game processing places during hunting season or the combo processing plant/ butcher shop we also have the elk ranch and they do ship in the us. They also do raw frozen dog food and just about any game meat and bison for people. My dogs really like whole bison legs but the website is https://www.elkusa.com i have never done shipping with them because they are local for me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Types of natural chew toys?   Types of natural chew toys? Empty

Back to top Go down

Types of natural chew toys?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1