It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

how many cans to the mile for a huskey?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
lorel
Newborn
Newborn

how many cans to the mile for a huskey? Empty
PostSubject: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum. It sounds like a funny topic as if I am measuring the fuel efficiency of a husky Smile but I am curios what the average husky eats on a daily basis either resting, or running?

Also, how far can a husky run on dry pavement? or do they need booties?

How hot can it be outside where it could be considered unhealthy or dangerous for a husky to pull the weight of a person on a bike?

Do huskeys get restless in small yards? if they went for a run, would they sleep afterwords?

Thanks a bunch!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 12:40 am

Huskies are meant to go long distances on very little. However, you'll need to look at each individually. Some will require more than other depending on size, stamina and physical fitness. I don't like to run them on pavement because it can be hard on their joints, but sometimes that's all you have access to, so you may want to check into join supplements. Depending on how rough the asphalt or concrete is, their paw pads can crack, so you should check their pads every so often if you're going to run them on hard, rough surfaces. My girl does not booties at all, so when we're out snowshoeing or hiking in the snow, we put Musher's Secret on her paws and in between her toes to preven snow from balling up. Musher's Secret can also help when running on pavement or asphalt. If you notice cracks on their paws, you can try Pet Salve to help re-condition their paws and heal the cracks.

After hiking or even running around at the dog park, my girl will take a long nap when we get home. My big boy will pass out as soon as he gets to the car, but he's overweight and came to us having zero exercise - so we're slowly getting him back in shape.

If you're going to be doing any strenuous exercise or physical acitivity make sure you have plenty of water for them and watch their breathing. If you're not sure what their stamina levels are, take it slow and monitor them and get to know how much they can handle without over exerting them.

I'm not sure where you're location, but in Colorado, Summers can get hot. I, myself, don't like it when summer peaks out. But if I can get out in the woods where part of the trail is shaded, we'll go for a hike, but I'll watch them to make sure they aren't panting too hard, and they get plenty of water. You'll know when they start to over heat, or are over exerted. They become disoriented and seem to not know the trail, they want to lay down, and they are panting very hard. Be careful not to reach this point especially if you're far from the trail head - not good for the dog and can be dangerous.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 6:47 am

Claudia covered your questions pretty well, I agree with her so I won't repeat too much.

lorel wrote:
Also, how far can a husky run on dry pavement? or do they need booties?

Like she mentioned, running on pavement is harder on their joints so I would try to avoid pavement if you can. If you do run on pavement it would be a good idea to use either booties, Mushers Secret, or Bag Balm to protect their feet. Huskies are endurance runners and can go long distances when they've been built up and conditioned for it.

lorel wrote:
I am curios what the average husky eats on a daily basis either resting, or running?

As has already been mentioned, calorie intake depends on a number of factors (age, metabolism, size, amount of work, speed, and distance) and there is no one size fits all number. A coach potato may only need 600-800 calories/day while on the other extreme a sibe working 10 hours pulling a sled at a moderate clip in extreme temps may need 10,000 calories/day (or 600-800 calories/hour). Those are both opposite extremes but it shows the wide range you're looking at. You will need to build your dog up for working anyway so just take it slow (as you should) and adjust your husky's intake as needed as you condition him/her for work.

lorel wrote:
How hot can it be outside where it could be considered unhealthy or dangerous for a husky to pull the weight of a person on a bike?

With temp it is also tricky, these dogs are driven and will often push themselves beyond their limits. Some will stop when they've had enough but others will not which is why it is important for you to regulate them and pay close attention to the little signals they give you about how they are handling the work and heat. These dogs are not made for working in the heat, obviously. People will vary on the temps that they feel comfortable working their dogs in. I personally would not work a husky in anything over 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and that's light "work" meaning a run but not actually doing any serious pulling. I know a lot of people who won't work a husky in temps over 50 degrees so you will get varying opinions on that. Be sensible and pay attention to your dog's signals. I think bikejoring with a husky in temps in the 60's is doable with caution, but when you get up into the 70's I think that's really pushing it. Remember, these dogs are putting out a lot of effort while wearing a thick coat, I know I certainly would not be comfortable running and pulling anything in 70 degree weather wearing a thick coat...I'd probably pass out in a very short amount of time.

lorel wrote:
Do huskeys get restless in small yards? if they went for a run, would they sleep afterwords?

Huskies get restless whether you have a small or large yard. These dogs were bred to run and have massive amounts of energy to be able to do so. With that said, you will find that as with all dogs, they are individuals and some individuals require more exercise and stimulation than others. Some sibes are happy as clams living as coach potatoes and not requiring much exercise to keep them content. Others require boatloads of exercise just to keep them manageable and your house/property intact. A good number lie somewhere in the middle. I think Claudia's sibes fall into the category of those that don't require a lot of exercise, give them a good run and they'd likely be content to sleep for a while after. My sibe on the other hand requires a lot of daily exercise and mental stimulation, he can run and run and run, go hiking for hours and still have tons of energy to burn.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:20 am

Huskyluv wrote:
...I think Claudia's sibes fall into the category of those that don't require a lot of exercise, give them a good run and they'd likely be content to sleep for a while after. My sibe on the other hand requires a lot of daily exercise and mental stimulation, he can run and run and run, go hiking for hours and still have tons of energy to burn.

Yes, you're right! When they are at home, they are perfectly content to lay around the house. Every so often, they will play for a few minutes in/out of the house. They will get excited to go on their multiple daily walks, and a few short runs during the week, but as far as my girl goes, we get out hiking, and she suddenly has energy that seem to go on forever. We just adopted the male a couple of days shy of a week, and he's also overweight, so I am slowly figuring out what his energy level is, how much exercise and level of intensity he can handle, etc. Of course, as he loses weight and starts to get into more physical shape, everything will be adjusted.

So they are all individuals, no matter how you look at it: what they eat, how much they eat, energy level, mental stimulation, physical endurance, etc.

There's really no 'one-size fits all'.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 am

Well said you two Smile I have nothing to add of importance, just wanted to reiterate the advice that Claudia and Val have given Smile

how many cans to the mile for a huskey? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Yep, I got nothin' to add, but Claudia and Val are right on. ;-)

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how many cans to the mile for a huskey?   how many cans to the mile for a huskey? Empty

Back to top Go down

how many cans to the mile for a huskey?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1