It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is Sky too skinny?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
luxor
Newborn
Newborn
luxor

Female Join date : 2018-02-16

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am

Hi folks, yesterday i was talking with some people in my neighbourhood and they told me that word goes around that my husky is too skinny.
me being me, takes this way too personal and havnt been able to drop this as of yet, sky means the world to me and i do anything for her.
anyways ill add some pictures here, and would like your opinions on if she is too skinny or not, she is 1,5 years old now btw, im not too sure on her weight at the moment... but i might visit the vet today to have her weight checked.

thanks!

Is Sky too skinny? 7120b8a4-8e64-401d-b7f1-101ed2f87d55-original
Is Sky too skinny? 421589cc-70e0-498e-972b-aa6c05b0be4f-original
Is Sky too skinny? 21e93007-bcf3-4594-9495-bd714f6c06a1-original
Is Sky too skinny? 7c8450e7-ecc4-4bfa-bc87-a2e4bf9b0e44-original
Is Sky too skinny? 82cbfc73-3efc-4b86-bc2e-dbfddf7dd899-original
Is Sky too skinny? 4f46bbd0-45ad-4844-906e-272dfdb2358c-original
Is Sky too skinny? 18b9ad86-3abc-4079-a32c-08940eaa41ac-original
Is Sky too skinny? D9aaffe3-272f-4d03-b01f-5468dbd031c3-original
Is Sky too skinny? 5034cb71-28d8-4ab3-bced-d9b2b2d6a535-original
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

From what i see your dog looks nice. I get the too skinney thing alot with spider this article from tufts university may make you feel better. Oh and ill embarrassingly admit ive taken spider to the vet for exactly that reason http://www.tuftsyourdog.com/issues/19_9/features/Might-Your-Dog-Be-Too-Thin-218-1.html also i noticed your dog is with a pit and a rottie which are both thick dogs.
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am

She looks fine to me too.  You could always tell the next person who mentions it that she just got done blowing her coat. Wink

From the link above, I thought this quote summed things up nicely.

Quote :
But Dr. Freeman emphasizes that in the vast majority of cases, the young, healthy dogs of people who worry that their pet is too thin are in optimal body condition and optimal muscle condition.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Unless she has sharply visible ribs and back/hip bones that are poking through her fur, I would say she's just right. At 1.5 years of age she is just coming out of teenage years and barely beginning to fill out. A husky is a lean dog, you should be able to see a waist looking down from above, a tuck up in her abdomen looking from the side. As you run your hands along the body, you should feel the ribs. If you make a fist and run your finger over your knuckles and that's how her ribs feel - thats too skinny. If you extend your fingers for a flat hand and rub your fingers over the top of your knuckles, thats "just right" If you turn your hand over with fingers extended and run your hand over the knuckles on the palm side, that's to heavy.

You can try educating your neighbors but I doubt it will change their views. What many people think is a healthy weight is in reality an overweight dog.

BTW - she looks like she's having a grand ol' time there on the beach.
Back to top Go down
luxor
Newborn
Newborn
luxor

Female Join date : 2018-02-16

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank u for your reactions!
And yes i do think that she is fine but when hearing things like that i cant help but start to have doubts and think i might be doing something wrong.
but she is very fit, i take her for long bikerides each day and every other day i set up a date with that pitbull and they play on the beach for 1 hour atleast.
i think i spend about 4 hours on average with her outside each day so i know the exercise part should be oke, i just wasnt sure if she was getting enough nutrition but yeah it makes sense that u would notice that in her stamina if its lacking, wich she isnt showing any signs of, shes super hyper active.
thanks for reasuring me atleast,
i apreciate grounded and well informed opinions (much more then neighbourhood gossip lol)

thank you folks!
Back to top Go down
CloverField
Puppy
Puppy
CloverField

Female Join date : 2017-11-15

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 1:40 am

I get the "too skinny" comments too, even from my own family sometimes. I work in the vet field and can tell you that my dog(and yours) are both a perfect size!
Is Sky too skinny? _dsc4410
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? EmptySat Feb 16, 2019 1:51 am

luxor wrote:
Thank u for your reactions!
And yes i do think that she is fine but when hearing things like that i cant help but start to have doubts and think i might be doing something wrong.
but she is very fit, i take her for long bikerides each day and every other day i set up a date with that pitbull and they play on the beach for 1 hour atleast.
i think i spend about 4 hours on average with her outside each day so i know the exercise part should be oke, i just wasnt sure if she was getting enough nutrition but yeah it makes sense that u would notice that in her stamina if its lacking, wich she isnt showing any signs of, shes super hyper active.
thanks for reasuring me atleast,
i apreciate grounded and well informed opinions (much more then neighbourhood gossip lol)

thank you folks!

Just tell them you're dieting her down because you thought she was getting a little too......................................................... "husky". Very Happy  lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is Sky too skinny? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Sky too skinny?   Is Sky too skinny? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Sky too skinny?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1