It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KatiAnn
Newborn
Newborn

husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence Empty
PostSubject: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 pm

KatiAnn
Hello! My boyfriend and I just rescued a sweet 18 month old female Husky, Bailey. The rescue told us she had been treated for a UTI not too long ago but was over it. We realized shortly after we got her home that she left little wet dribble spots wherever she would sit. When she took a nap she woke up and had left a larger wet spot. It soon came to our realization that everywhere she sat or layed down she was "leaking" urine on herself. She goes outside for potties and isn't actually peeing in the house, she doesn't even realize it's happening. We contacted our vet as we have a great relationship with him and he wants to do a urine test to see if it is still her UTI or if she has an underlying issue for the leaking such as spay incontiennce or an ectopic ueryter. We have put her in doggy diapers for now to manage the issue and layed puppy pads in her sleep area.
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has had this issue and how it was resolved or their overall experience? I know there are medications and sometimes surgery depending on the underlying cause. We just want her to be healthy and are really worried.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyMon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks for your question, that prompted a call to my vet which prompted me to place an order ... <sarcasm> thanks a bunch </sarcasm>

Seriously now, I have a dog, Sky, who leaks.  She came to me with an active UTI so we did antibiotic and Proin.  She has never leaked a lot and leaks considerably less now than a few months ago.  The vet had me put her on Proin which reduced the leakage but didn't eliminate it. (hence my vet suggesting I do another 30 days)

However as your vet mentioned there are several possibilities.  After he does the urine testing, I might ask whether doing a round of Proin (total cost for a 60 day supply was $20) to see if that helps.  The other items he mentioned, I think, are invasive to determine (help folks?) so a cheap pill that might help might be a precursor to an invasive procedure.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 am

Has she been spayed yet? If so, how long ago?

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 9:43 am

She has been spayed but I'm not sure at what age.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Sometimes fairly recent spays can cause trouble for a little while after then will go away on their own, but if it's been more than a couple months since the spay I wouldn't assume that to be the case. Unless it was a bit of a botch job or she has a naturally low estrogen count. There are supplements, such as Vet Classics, that can be taken if that is the cause. Your vet will have to determine the underlying issue. Once the issue is identified then it will be easier to search for potential workarounds.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Thank you! We took a urine sample to the vet and he said it came back positive for a pretty bad UTI. They are concerned because the rescue has treated her twice for one in the last couple weeks already so either her body doesn't like the medication they used or something else is causing the chronic UTIs. It's just been difficult because we weren't given any paperwork on what the previous vet used to treat her UTI or when she was spayed. All we were given on her from the rescue is her rabies vaccine documentation.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am

Time to do culture and sensitivity tests - will let you know what the bug is and what antibiotics the bug is susceptible to. Then - if that doesn't work, I would look for something structural.
Back to top Go down
KatiAnn
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence EmptyWed Apr 03, 2019 11:33 am

They did all of that and settled on a different antibiotic and also an acidity reducer because her urine had a very high acidity levels. Going to test her urine again a few days before the medication runs out, and then go from there. If the incontinece doesn't improve with the UTI, or the UTI doesn't improve on the medication then they will do more tests to see what the underlying cause may be such as spay incontinence or ectopic urethra. Thank you for everything!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence   husky - 18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence Empty

Back to top Go down

18 Month Old Husky Rescue Urinary Inncontinence

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1