A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Ami and Amy!, our September HOTM winners! HOTM - October : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Ami and Amy,
our September HOTM Winners!
Puppuccino Lovers!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Newborn
Newborn

Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help! Empty
PostSubject: Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!   Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help! EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey guys, whats up!
I am frustrated now and wanted to know if anyone else went through this with their husky....I have been training my guy since he was 8 weeks old and he just turned one year a couple months ago, and long story short he is very hard headed, stubborn and strong willed. I have been using positive only training for awhile now and it does not seem to work with him only using corrections.

His only issues are he lunges at other dogs to play and jumps on people when greeting. I've tried almost everything from toys, to the highest value treats, but if he passes another dog he wont even take any treats and will lung. Using a regular collar doesn't faze him at all and he continues to lunge.
Also on a regular collar he will sprint ahead hit the end of leash, lunges, pulls, and is distracted because he knows the corrections on a collar mean nothing.

.....But, if i put a choke chain on him, he walks loose leash, will not lunge and overall not a problem, but most importantly, I barely have to correct him.

Is anyone's husky like this too?

P.S.- I have researched these tools and initially taught him leash pressure etc. before using them on walks.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!   Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help! EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 4:41 pm

I use a prong collar and ecollar on my guys. Pure positive is great for telling a dog what to do. Not so great converting what not to do, especially with a strong willed teenager which is what you have at the moment.

I prefer prong collar (herm sprenger preferred) over Connie because the chrome collar can go infinity smaller. The prong collar has a martingale like design and will only tighten so much.

http://www.leashesbydesign.com/training-collar-info/

Info on doing at bottom of page.

Training info: https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/free-how-to-training-videos/
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Teenager
Teenager
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!   Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help! EmptySat Oct 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Ive had great success with a halter when my shepherd was that age. Now that hes older he only drags me until he has peed on 2 things then he walks nicely. I do the positive reinforcement with mine and i will admit sometimes its frustrating. Ive trained all my dogs and my horses that way. And with spider things get boring so what works today may not work tomorrow with her. Squirt used to lunge at other dogs. We got something she really liked and fed it to her as other dogs were passing and as dog agressive as she is she is very well behaved in public. Spider that wont work on i tried at the va several times. Shes insanely nervous in new places and even elk wont get her focused. Spider wears a nylon martingale collar and squirt has a regular nylon collar. My shepherd has a nylon collar. Im not an ecollar fan or a prong collar fan. I extend the principles of natural horsemanship to my dogs and not in a cesar milan way.

Look at a halter (gentle leader, calf/goat halter) go through training the dog to be used to it before you implement using it and be amazed at the difference of controlling yiur dog by the head instead of a collar. If you think about it a 4 legged animal goes where its head goes the rest of the body follows so by using a collar the dog can pull with its full body weight and a head halter keeps that from happening. I also think it makes the dog more responsive but that is just what i have experienced.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!   Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky to strong willed for positive only training?!....Please help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1