It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sled dog training without pulling aspect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Sled dog training without pulling aspect Empty
PostSubject: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptySun Dec 15, 2019 10:01 pm

So winter in Colorado lots of snow. Because of lots of snow my blind gsd got lost in the yard 3 times today. I was thinking some modified version of sled dog training might help him get around the yard and the house but i have 0 clue where to start. I dont ever plan to add pulling to the equation.

He does use his front foot the way a blind person uses a cane but its useless if he is way off target.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 2:49 pm

I'm not sure what you'd expect if you were to use anything like sled dog training ... the correlation completely eludes me.

I'm also really surprised that your gsd can get lost in your own yard - not ignoring its size. If he's "stone blind" I'd think that he would be able to get around as well with snow on the ground as when there isn't (okay, admitted that he's probably lost the olfactory clues he's used to). I would really expect that he'd adapt quickly which you say isn't happening.

If he's any sight at all, shades of shadows type thing, and he's depended on that to get around, then the loss of the normal "colors" - essentially being blinded by an absolute white - might cause what you're seeing. He's using his "cane" since all he sees is a white blur with none of the contrast that he's used to.

When he's "gotten lost" how far out is he? Will he come when you call or is he still unsure of where to go - which would suggest to me that he does have some very limited vision.

If you're thinking in terms of giving directions to get him to you then I'd suggest just working on that. One of my labs would lose her balls (that does not sound right) and I could give her voice directions to get to it. "Near" come toward me, "Away" go further away from me, "Left" (or pointing) and "Right" to get her to change direction. I was surprised when she was able to relate my pointing left and "Left" so I was eventually just able to tell her to go left - it'd probably be more difficult with a dog who can't see and one whom you're trying to guide around things.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Hes not completely blind all the time he can see in certain very bright situations and a little in the peripheral. He has central progressive retinal atrophy and in the last year has gotten way worse. We have tactile directions in the yard like carpet and also the bushes and gravel and concrete. When everything is under 3 feet of snow his landmarks disappear. One of his bigger issues is the steps. Its only 2 of them but its not fun watching him fall off the deck and lose the stairs.

I was thinking on direction because yes i can call him and he can locate me and the door and stuff that way but i have no way to say go left before you step on a cactus.

His training had to go almost back to as if he wasnt trained, because i never bothered with voice commands and he cant see my signals most of the time. We have been workong on guidance by tapping left shoulder to go right and right shoulder to go left. Im not sure though where i would go from there as far as for me to be able to kinda give him directions.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 4:29 pm

How about a zip line from the steps to the boundary of the yard using peanut butter splotches as a scent line? And putting a ramp for steps?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 5:30 pm

I'd build on what you're already doing. As you tap the left shoulder, say "right" and vice versa, eventually, hopefully, you'll get the th point that you don't have to be right there. Working on "back(up)" and "come" could be tougher, but if his sight is already bad (a given) and going to get worse, it'll be worth it in the long ru to really work on the voice commands.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 6:23 pm

@amymeme i have him trained not to take food unless its in his bowl or my hand. Also i had a really bad experience with a chain on 1 dog and 5 loose dogs. It wasnt an attack but 1 dog lost a leg getting tangled while playing.

@aljones now you hit the nail on the head. Right now no matter what i do he comes to me first then does what i want. So with the left and right he knows what the command is but wont do it or any command until he is right in front of me which defeats the purpose.

So how do you i guess train a dog from a distance to where they respond without being on top of you
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect EmptyMon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

My fence is about 40 ft wide by 210 long in an L shape they have the side of the house and part of the backyard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sled dog training without pulling aspect   Sled dog training without pulling aspect Empty

Back to top Go down

Sled dog training without pulling aspect

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1