It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Apollo Scrap book

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 10:09 am

I think Apollo 100% would, when it comes to me he’s so protective. It’s only been because I’ve had him by the harness or collar he hasn’t. But I do always feel safe when I’m out walking with him because he’s independent and confident, I don’t think Storm will because she howls out of nervousness and she will always back away from strangers and can be coaxed round where with Apollo it’s completely opposite.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 10:19 am

Spider has growled at men working in the house. It was a very territorial thing. Outside the house or yard she is a nervous wreck. She also lately has been doing dominance behavior lately but only to new people or if im not home. She views herself above jerry in status. Im thinking silent heat but she is a dominant dog. Just not to me. But i still think if it came down to it, she would run before she actually bit someone. And if she did bite someone, it would be because she is cornered.

Interesting that huskies are #6 on the dangerous dog list. Trailer parks are now banning them here.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 2:09 pm

While Avalanche is a good watch dog - he lets me know when anything "odd" is happening outside (like a bunny rabbit or a truck pulling in) but I wouldn't depend on him to defend me, he's one of those dogs who has never met anything but a friend.
Sasha would defend her food bowl - to the point of biting, just ask me - I don't think that would extent to protecting me.
Sky, who knows .... she's not overly friendly but not to the point of being standoffish ... I've never even heard her growl unless she and Sasha ore having a "discussion."

@liv_skye That's quite a collection you have there. And I've found most Chow's to be friendly (and possibly protective when called for)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm

All my dogs are good with food, Apollo will be confident enough to take the hung up game birds from the out side fridge when I turn my back but my husband can just walk over and he doesn’t run of with it or growl just back of I would trust him with a child with food he’s so soft, Storm will only ever listen to me and Bolt is just a pup at the moment but he’s being good so far..
a few occasions have arose when I have been intimidated by men while I’m out walking and Apollo has always stood he’s ground for me.
Another time I was out with my 2 young nieces and 2 collies that where aggressive with no owner in sight and Apollo and Storm got between me and my nieces and the other two dogs until a owner came and put them on leads.
And another time I was out running and 3 boys on bikes started following me and shouting and Apollo turned and done a howl back and put himself between us,
I won’t go on a walk with out him🙄
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 am

None of mine would bite me or growl at me over food. But they will growl at each other if someone goes to the wrong bowl. If i wanted protection from another animal, squirt is amazing but if someone broke in she would wag her tail and lick them.

People confuse guard dogs and watch dogs. When shadow is on alert he is silent still and stiff. Usually he does the anubis pose with a very sinister smile and stare. If he does bark or growl, it actually means he ISNT going to bite you. People confuse the stiff tail and the smile for him being friendly. He has bit 6 people, and every bite was appropriate. Im still shocked he bit a BLM law ranger and got away with it. Before the vision issues he was trained as my personal protection dog. We got him because the air force base was safe but outside the gate was a bad part of Albuquerque and mostly in terms of human trafficking. I know i can 100% count on him and ive never met a husky or husky owner that claims to have 100% from thier dog every single time.

Now are your sure it isnt a dominant/possessive issue? Spider has one with the house more of a territorial type behavior but it almost seems like your describing the beginning of a possessive issue with you being the guarded possession. If it is, you need to be careful because it can put other people in danger. And if you want to nurture and encourage it, i would suggest pp training so when it happens you have some control of the situation.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 am

I don’t think it’s possessive because he’s only ever been protective when I’ve been on edge, I think he can sense when I’m scared. Like with the to aggressive collies and when I was followed by the teenagers on bikes. He is pretty friendly with other dogs unless they start showing aggression, and with strangers hes more friendly than Storm, it’s just curtain people he doesn’t like and doesn’t like near me.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySun Apr 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Squirt has gone after exactly 2 people. One was sentenced to 40 years in prison for raping all 3 of his daughters and getting one of them pregnant. And the other was some enlisted kid on the base that was later arrested for pulling a gun on his wife while in base. Maybe its like that. Because otherwise squirt is the most people friendliest dog ive ever met, unless your a veterinarian.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 12:25 pm

Took my 3 to the pond, let just let the photos do the talking!!
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 3a44c610
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 2ba9cf10
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 C4d268106 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 22123b10
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 B8fb8910
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 F665d210
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 1:07 pm

Im glad im not the one giving apollo a bath.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm

It’s not a fun experience!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Spider is in heat. If you weren't all the way in the uk i think apollo would be a really nice lc wolfdog sire.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat May 01, 2021 5:25 pm

It is a shame, Apollo and Spider would have some gorgeous pups and I would have to keep another one!! And does “wolf dog sire” Mean you think Apollo could have a little wolf in him? Because a lot of people do ask me that but then I look at Storm and well .. she’s just husky through and through😂
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat May 01, 2021 5:33 pm

No i ment wolfdog sire because of spider being a sibe/arctic/grey mix. But i think they wpuld have stunning puppies.

I could see something wolfy maybe several generations back. Genetics are a funny thing. At birth it was obvious spider was a low content with 1 blue eye and some distinct white markings at 3 weeks. Her siblings looked pure wolf.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat May 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Ohh I got you! My neighbour has the Brother to Storm and Apollo and she is fully convinced there is Wolf some where in the line from Skyes side as Apollo’s dad was KC, but sometimes I can see a hint of something like the second photo then other times I don’t. But was also throws me wayyy off is he’s height! Compared to Storm and the other Litter mates in the first photo, and I have read you can get throw backs so maybe he was one of those.6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 142bbb10
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 E4d66b10
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptySat May 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Its most obvious that there is something in the black and white pic. Look at how narrow his chest is.

Not sure if it has happened with huskies, but in the 30s wolf blood was introduced in some breeds in an attempt to either improve health or intelligence. The german shepherd is what comes to mind but europe has all the different "wolfdogs" that really aren't wolfdogs anymore because they are so many generations between the actual wolf and the established breed.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 11:38 am

If your neighbor is so convinced tell her to have an embark done and feed her curiosity.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Most of the time suspected wolfdogs turn out to not have wolf but malmute blood. And then there are breeds like the tamaskan that have no wolf but look wolfier then alot of actual wolfdogs.

@liv_skye are wolf dogs even legal in the uk? If not then ignorance and not doing a dna test are in your best interest.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 1:48 pm

No you need a license to own one unless it is under a 2/3% percentage. I always wanted to get Skye tested but after reading that I never bothered as I didn’t know her breeding and I knew she wasn’t a pure husky and when I picked Skye up as a puppy there was a male husky there that looked like a wolf dog but They said it was another pet but I never saw her “dad” only photos and her mum was a KC husky and my husband always said the wolf dog was Skyes dad.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm

I thought they were banned or required permits. Most people can pass wolfdogs off as huskies, i do it.. i dont exactly consider it a lie when i call spider a husky mix because she is a husky mix. Some cities have breed specific legislation which also discriminates against huskies. Colorado considers anything with atleast 1% domestic dog legal, but alot of states will instantly put wolfdogs down.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeah you need a licence to keep one, unless they are less than 3% wolf then you don’t. I think I’ll leave the DNA test! Because I think they put them down here to if they can find a licensed home for them.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyMon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Sometimes its better not to know. My first wolfdog we thought was a husky mix. He looked like storm but only had 4 toes in front and floppy ears. We intentionally did not dna test him until he went to a wolfdog legal state turned out he was arabian wolf and rottie
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyTue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

I had my big white male tested because he shows a lot of structural traits similar to wolves. We can have them here without permit as long as under 10% but the real necessity for testing him was to make sure the vet didn't use any medication that could be problematic for some dogs with wolf dna. When I first got him he was having medical issues. He's allergic to all kinds of things. While no wolf there he did have some odd haplotyping that is more indicative of Rotts, but he also has EBP (lung disease) that is more regularly seen in Rotts as well which makes me wonder if the EBP isn't genetically passed through that haplogroup.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyTue May 04, 2021 10:47 am

Sedatives and anaesthesia in particular effect wolfdogs different then regular dogs. Its one of a few reasons spider isnt spayed. Also i noticed spider can eat alot of things that i thought bothered her and discovered the issue was ultra proccessed versions of things. Like she can eat rice but rice flour is a problem. Even ultra processed dog food has caused issues even when its grain and gluten free. That no one has been able to explain.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 am

6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 94008710
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 0f13a910
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 9649b310
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 2:13 pm

6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 1ad4e910
6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 A5130f10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apollo Scrap book   6 - Apollo Scrap book - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Apollo Scrap book

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next