It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Recipe Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Recipe Ideas - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Melissa, go buy a crock pot, can find them super cheap right now!!!! your right you could maybe make it as if your were cooking a stew and do it that way but the the bonus of the crock pot is that you do it and walk away and all the spices and everything blends together over the time to make it super yummy!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Honestly Melissa, if you dump it all in a good stock pot and simmer it maybe a little hotter for 3 or so hours, it should work. I did that with a stew one time before I had a crock pot. Boiling the squash may help some as well. I say go for it and let us know how it works for you. Squash isn't hard, and butternut squash is AWESOME sauteed in a little bit of olive oil with garlic and any herb. Have fun with it.

Jenn, I guess they do some weird calculations with how the foods interact, because I added the squash, 0 points, the amount of beans I added said 7 points, and when I added them it still said 7 in the list, but suddenly the total spiked to 20 for the whole recipe scratch I knew the beans, corn, and cheese would drive it up a little, but I was still surprised... I normally do cut back on the amount of oil I use, and I almost never add salt even if the recipe calls for it. The only thing I really add salt in is my salsa. Anyway, it was a really good meal and I didn't have any of that overpowering squashiness like I did the last time I did spaghetti squash.

ETA: Jenn is right about crock pots, you can get really nice ones at Wal Mart for $20-25 and they're super handy.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Recipe Ideas - Page 5 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Thanks girls! I might not be able to do this tonight if it needs to simmer for 3hrs in a regular pot. I'll buy a crock pot some time this week and make it over the weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Crockpot is the best thing ever!
I had 3 - dunno what happened to the medium size one because I can't find it now. Not sure if I gave it away or not...sheesh!

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Does anyone have any good veggie recipes? I need to up my daily vegetable portions and I need some creative ways to make them taste good! I'm tired of eating vegetables out of a can. I want to start buying fresh and season them to taste good. I just don't know how!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:35 pm

MIndy, do you like asparagus?
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm

MelissaI wrote:
MIndy, do you like asparagus?

I have no idea! LOL! I will try anything though!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 pm

Asparagus is awesome just don't by it canned its horrible.

Fresh is best and frozen is very acceptable.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 pm

I just need to know how to season it. I'm clueless with cooking. I can follow a recipe so if you tell me what to do, I can do it!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Ewwww canned asparagus is NOT GOOD! I wasn't a huge fan, but after making it both of these ways I love it now!!! I buy it fresh. Never seen it frozen actually. I need to look for that!!!

- Cut off the bottom part. You can grab one at each end, snap it and that can be your measurement to cut the rest of them.
- Boil the asparagus for about 2min or until they're almost fully cooked.
- Spray a non stick pan with non stick spray (pam)
- Add aparagus seasoned with salt (to your taste), a bit of black pepper, and garlic powder (little bit).
- Add a few squirts of lemon juice and saute for about 3min.
- Add a bit of Parmesan grated cheese.

OR you can...

- Follow the first two steps above (cut/boil asparagus)
- Cup up an onion. Cook it in olive oil until it's translucent.
- Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and some sugar (to your taste). Simmer for a minute.
- Add asparagus
- Add mushrooms (if you like them)
- Cook until tender

I love asparagus this way!!! Sorry if I'm not explaining right. PM me if you have questions!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks Melissa! I will try both recipes!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 am

26nikita wrote:
Does anyone have any good veggie recipes? I need to up my daily vegetable portions and I need some creative ways to make them taste good! I'm tired of eating vegetables out of a can. I want to start buying fresh and season them to taste good. I just don't know how!
Roasted veggies are alwasy easy and yummy!

Asparagus, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans....any or all.
Prep asparagus as Melissan posted, cut bell peppers and onions into quarters, broccoli and cauliflower cut into florets.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put veggies in a big bowl
Season with salt and pepper (or salt alternative if you're trying to keep your sodium down)
Season with cajun seasoning (if you like a little pop! - but optional)
Drizzle with olive oil until veggies are lightly coated.

Put veggies in a large shallow pan and bake for 20-30 minutes until tender and you start to see some browing.

You can do root veggies and squash too: sweet potatoes, butternut squash, acorn squash, carrots, parsnips.

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:28 am

Thank you Claudia!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:31 am

I love the mrs dash seasoning tomato basil garlic for veggies and chicken and to make salad dressing.

I made a yummy dinner tonight on a whim.
Grilled chicken breast with the seasoning cut up
Cut up red bell pepper raw
Cooked green beans fresh and boiled
Broccoli fresh and boiled
Half a sweet potato cooked
Light salt and some MCT oil
Some I can't believe its not butter spray mixed it all up and it was good
Recipe Ideas - Page 5 IMG_20120227_194918

Last edited by jbealer on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:03 am

I LOVE cooking!!! My favorite website by far is : http://annies-eats.com/category/healthy/
I seriously make everything she does and EVERYTHING I've made is so delicious!
Another good one is Laura in the kitchen off youtube Smile She has some awesome stuff too!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Here are a couple links to the recipes I did yesterday. They turned out great, and are super healthy.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/892

I did the grab n' go breakfast cookies, which is the 2nd recipe down on this link. Very good and very filling for my morning:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1076

I have a tilapia recipe I need to post, but I'll have to do it from home.

Enjoy!

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies- Posted it on FB too Very Happy

1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup natural white sugar
1/2 Veggie oil
1 large egg
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Vanilla extract
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease pans.

In a Large bowl mix together: Pumpkin, veggie oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla. In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Then add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Next add in the chips.

Drop onto cookie sheet and bake for 10 min until firm.

(Personal Favorite) Solstice Tea

1 jar of Tang (or 566 g sweetened orange drink mix)
2/3 cup Instant tea (unsweetened) {I use Lipton}
1 package Lemonaid mix (unsweetened) {Kool-Aid}
1/2 cup Sugar {preferable organic}
1 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Cloves

Mix and store in a glass jar.

Use 2 teapoons of mixture in a mug with hot water.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 8:20 pm

Thanks, Brooke!

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:30 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
Thanks, Brooke!

You're welcome Razz
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:33 pm

omg Brooke those cookies sound amazing Im seriously going to buy the stuff n try to make them!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm

MetalMama wrote:
omg Brooke those cookies sound amazing Im seriously going to buy the stuff n try to make them!

They're really good!
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 9:43 pm

it sounds delicious, when my keyboard works again I've got a few I'd like to share Idea
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 11:43 am

Here's a recipe for some awesome breakfast cookies that I found in a Hungry Girl cookbook. These things are now a staple in our house, and the best part is I can have a decent, filling breakfast for 4 weight watchers points. Even their little frozen meals aren't that good.

Grab n' Go Breakfast Cookies
1/2 cup regular oats (not instant)
6 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original), ground to a breadcrumb like consistency in a blender or processor
1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
1/3 cup Gerber peaches (or other pureed peaches in the baby food aisle *I've found that one regular sized jar is right about 1/3 cup
1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1 tbsp golden raisins
1 tbsp Craisins
2 tbsp brown sugar (not packed)
2 tsp Coffee Mate sugar free french vanilla powdered creamer
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt *I omit this

Preheat oven to 375F

Chop Craisins and raisins into small pieces. Set aside. *I don't bother chopping them up, it's a bit time consuming and I really don't care that much

In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, Fiber One, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.

In a separate bowl dissolve the creamer into into 2 tbsp hot water. Add the remaining wet ingredients (peaches, pumpkin, egg), and mix well.

Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir until completely blended. Slowly sprinkle raisins and Craisins into the mixture, making sure they don't all stick together.

Spray a large baking pan with nonstick spray, and spoon batter into 4 evenly spaced circles. Spread batter out a bit with the back of a spoon. Place pan in the oven for 12-14 minutes (until the tops of treats are just slightly crispy). Remove pan from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then grab n' go!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

I usually make these up at night and toss them in the fridge once they're mostly cool. That way I have 4 days worth of breakfasts and I can eat in the car if I'm running late. These cookies are seriously awesome.

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Meredith, you cook like me minimal salt if any at all. Also baked goods can be plenty tasty with half the sugar it calls for in the recipe. Most peeps are sugar and salt junkies and don't even realize it.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Meredith, you cook like me minimal salt if any at all. Also baked goods can be plenty tasty with half the sugar it calls for in the recipe. Most peeps are sugar and salt junkies and don't even realize it.

I rarely if ever add additional salt if the recipe calls for it. I do cut back a lot on the sugar as well, I need to start toying with this recipe and see how it works on reduced sugar. You're absolutely right too, we've become so accustomed to food manufacturers dumping so much sugar (or high fructose corn syrup) and salt into our food, we are almost dependent on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recipe Ideas   Recipe Ideas - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recipe Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next