It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Itchy paws

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Itchy paws   Itchy paws EmptyFri May 06, 2011 6:54 pm

I think Faith has allergies to something as she's been chewing and biting at her paws for the last few weeks. It gotten to the point where I heard her crying this morning and rushed to her to find out what was wrong. She was biting at her paws and they were bleeding and slightly swollen. Sad Poor baby.

I cleaned her paws with a baby wipe, put some neosporin on them, and wrapped them up in gauze and medical tape and confined her to her crate for a couple hours. She seems to be doing a lot better this afternoon.

She's never chewed her feet before, ever so I definitely took notice when this started a few weeks ago. But there are so many possible factors it's hard to know what the problem could be. It's spring and tons of stuff is blooming, the yard has been treated for bugs and weeds and had fertilizer applied all within the past few weeks as well. I have no idea what could be the culprit but now she really has me more concerned since she's at the point where she's drawing blood. I'm going to give her a bath tomorrow and see if that doesn't help any and keep putting Neosporin on her feet. Oh and nothing about her diet has changed so it's not a food allergy. Seems like it's just one thing after another Faith. No

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Itchy paws   Itchy paws EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:15 pm

were you using dog friendly stuff to treat your yard? it would be odd that she is the only one affected by that though. maybe you need to keep booties on her while she is outside and see if that helps at all? and get some paw wipes? hope you can figure it out!

Jack licked his pad raw last june on my b-day camping trip! turned out he had a tiny thorn stuck in his pad Sad

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Itchy paws   Itchy paws EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Oh no!
When I first started reading your post, I thought, 'It can't possibly be food allergy!' So then one would conclude it's something new introduced to her environment. Although, I have read that once in a blue moon, dogs can develop food allergies to ingredients they used to do fine in the past. It's that remote possibility thing, and it's highly likely that isn't the case here.

Anyway, did you have a landscaper or someone else treat the yard for bugs and weeds or did you do it yourself? I have heard some of these lawn treatments and fertilizers can be irritants to a lot of pets.

I'm wondering if you wiped her down each time she comes in from being outside, would she get better?

I hope it's just as simple as the lawn treatment you recently put down is causing her itchy paws....Get better soon, Faith!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Itchy paws   Itchy paws EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Awww poor Faith Sad I hope she gets better soon! Kody has a thing with biting his paws too, but he hasn't done it in like 2 weeks now. He would drive me crazy!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Itchy paws   Itchy paws EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:50 pm

We do all our yardwork and maintenance ourselves. All the stuff that we treated the lawn with was pet safe EXCEPT for the fertilizer which was watered in 24 hours after application. Unfortunately the dogs did have to go out for a few bathroom breaks in the yard before the fertilizer could be watered in...maybe that could have initially started it but it's been at least a couple weeks since then and she's still biting her feet. My other two are just fine. scratch

I've checked her feet multiple times over the last few weeks since it started and I have not found anything stuck in there. I might try wiping her feet down every time she comes in and see if that doesn't help along with the neosporin until her pads heal up.

I feel so bad for her, just seems like it's always Faith having problems. I really hope this gets resolved soon as I don't want her to keep hurting herself and I certainly don't want her to be uncomfortable like this all the time.

Itchy paws Empty
PostSubject: Re: Itchy paws   Itchy paws Empty

Back to top Go down

Itchy paws

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1