It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Agouti owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kenajade
Newborn
Newborn

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 am

Hey everyone.
I’m obsessed with agoutis and I would love to see yours and how their color changes/ phases have gone! Mine is 5 months now and she’s getting so blonde! When did your get dark again?

8 weeks
Agouti owners?  26555810

10weeks
Agouti owners?  34496b10

12 weeks
Agouti owners?  Fd1a3810

15 weeks
Agouti owners?  07774a10

18 weeks
Agouti owners?  7890e710

20 weeks
Agouti owners?  53231f10

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Well squirt is a mix but she went the opposite of your pup. She had a black face and was otherwise solid tan at 8 weeks. Her color took about a year to completely come in but even now she gets lighter or darker seasonally. Oh and now she is getting grey on the muzzle but she is almost 8.

I took a guess and i think you mean the black/tan agouti as opposed to a genetic agouti which also includes other colors as long as the hair is banded.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Apollo isn’t agouti but he gone through every colour😂 he was born brown then went sable then a Isabella white and now a wolf grey,
Agouti owners?  2788ff10
Agouti owners?  7e4d9b10
Agouti owners?  F1153e10
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Cute!

I have two agouti huskies. Kavik turned completely white except for his face at 4 months and darkened back up by 5 months. Basically when he shed off his puppy coat. Tulok's change has been more subtle. He looks like a really dark sable GSD. Right now he's shedding off charcoal colored clumps from the remainder of his puppy coat. He looks exactly like his mom so I expect he'll turn out looking the same.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyWed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 pm

@liv_skye technically wolf grey is an expression of the agouti gene. Its like a dilute version of the agouti color if i read it right.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 am

That's a super cute dog! She's look so pretty as an adult!

Mine is an agouti aswell and like his father his coat got lighter as he grew and his mark will get a tad bit more lighter.

12 Weeks
Agouti owners?  THAWzlO

1 Year
Agouti owners?  J6yaRWN

1.5 Years
Agouti owners?  W735DpE
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Agouti owners?  119676369_2154005748072866_7798857416557103196_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=uhBiTSb6Q_IAX_Nt7qT&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1 HI!!! I just paid for my sweet girl today. I'm also obessed with the color. Her name is Bunny. I get her in a week and im sooooooo not patient. LOL All of your babies are beautiful. <3
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 am

Wow how adorable. Congrats
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Thank you so much @Lostmaniac Very Happy I'm counting every minute and second.
Back to top Go down
Coast2CoastHusky
Newborn
Newborn

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 2:20 am

Hi I'm new to the Forum and a new husky owner for the first time. My agouti Husky is 8 months old I got her in April she was born in February 2020 and she is starting to shed like crazy. I love her personality and I'm noticing that she is starting to become more red in areas. Do you guys also find it that people question if your dog is a true husky or a mixed breed?Agouti owners?  20200410
Agouti owners?  20200510
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20267897/3][
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am

Hi coat2coast ... It's interesting to me that people - all people - seem to know more about our dogs than we do.  Most seem to expect Snow Dogs while you have Togo.
I think that you'll find that most Huskies shed all the time, sometimes more than at others (like when they blow coat) but most seem to have an abundance of loose hair no matter what you do.  Sorry, but that's just the way they are ... Smile
The color change you're seeing is pretty normal.  Most adults seem to end up a different color than then they were puppies - oh, it's not drastic, not like an agouti becomes a silver but having different shades as they grow seems to be pretty common. (( I do rescues so I've never personally seen this as my dogs come to me as adults but it's been mentioned several times. ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 10:54 am

All the time. LOL. Everyone thinks my dogs are mixed with something. When Kavik was a puppy everyone thought he was an Akita or Akita mix. Right now every stranger looks at Tulok and simply asks, "What is that?" Most people are used to the the more popular black/white white/red markings.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 11:00 am

Yes every one seems to know our dog better and there personality better than us! And huskies come in all shapes and sizes! Take my two for instance they are brother and sister, Apollo is 26 inches to the shoulder wolly coated and wolf grey/sable, Storm on the other hand and 22 inches short coated and is black and white, both completely different to each other.
Back to top Go down
Coast2CoastHusky
Newborn
Newborn

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 12:47 pm

Thank you all so much I've heard so many things from other people. It seems like people think that they know what my dog is or what her personality should be like and they are so far off. People always ask me am I sure she's not a wolf hybrid or maybe a a husky mix🤣🤣🤣🤣. It gets me every time because I got my husky from a breeder who has a AKC bloodline. What is strange is that most people don't know about agouti coats but seem to know everything there is about huskies 🤦🏾‍�. I'm doing some research on the difference of normal shedding and blowing her coat
I don't even know what to look for and currently right now I'm using a soft bristle brush instead of something like the Furminator. I was told to wait until she's over a year to start using a tool like that. So maybe you all seasoned owners could help me what is the difference between just a normal shed that we see everyday and an actual instance of a coat being blown?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Yeah i dont see any wolf in that pup... ears are way too pointy, feet too small, prominent stop, chest too wide.

Its funny people rarely ask if spider is a mix.... except husky people and then depending on the location i just let them believe she is a badly bred husky. Squirt ive been told looks like a typical alaskan.

As for people knowing more about your dog then you, ive met lots. 6 off the top of my head that insisted on getting bit by my German shepherd. Certain places i wont take squirt because of people like that. Squirt has issues and ive come across alot of people that think she wants to play with thier dogs, that this is different because somehow they are the dog whisper and it ends in a dog fight. I almost rehomed her until when i asked what they were going to do about her issues at the vet and they said "my dogs never have issues" and 2 years later i still have her.

I have a few types of brushes that are just regular human brushes from walgreens and then i use a plastic mane comb on a handle for the undercoat. Its very similar to an undercoat rake just a little less expensive.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 pm

I use a slicker for Storm and rake for Apollo
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 4:06 pm

My vote's on a slicker I have three dogs, one with long guard hair so the slicker let's me get the coat she's blowing out without too much trouble - course the brush gets full fast.  My other two have shorter hair and the slicker works well for them, it's easy to clean them up quickly.

Brushes like the furminator are frowned upon by most people who own huskies, I've never even considered one but my impression is that they tend to damage the guard hair by clipping it and damaged guard hair never seems to grow back properly.

When she blows her coat for the first time you'll do two things:
1)  You'll stand there and wonder where all this hair came from.  The description is "there's enough hair here to make another dog."
2)  You'll immediately know what we mean when we mention "blowing her coat"  << wicked grin >>

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 4:08 pm

I use "Well & Good Prostyle Dual-Sided Shedding Rake for Dogs" to get the shedding clumps out.

A slicker brush is good for touching up the coat and for puppy fur.

I've only had someone point out Kavik was a husky once, and that was from a kid who watched the recent Togo movie. Kavik does look a lot like the dog that played adult Togo.

Agouti owners?  X06pbBo

Agouti owners?  F5xMRGy
Back to top Go down
Coast2CoastHusky
Newborn
Newborn

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Here's an updated picture of my baby girl Shiloh she will be 8 months old in two days. She is a character and very affectionate. Loved watching TV and talking back typical husky attitude.. thank you all for your assistance becoming a husky owner is very new I've had other dogs but they don't compare to honestly the intelligence and personality of a husky.

As all of you I've also heard that the FURminator brush isn't really good but then again I have a friend who has three huskies and he swears by it
Didn't really know what to look for with a blown coat but I'm now finding fur everywhere even after I wash my clothes I still find traces of her all around.
Agouti owners?  20201010
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Oct 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Coast2CoastHusky wrote:
Here's an updated picture of my baby girl Shiloh she will be 8 months old in two days. She is a character and very affectionate. Loved watching TV and talking back typical husky attitude.. thank you all for your assistance becoming a husky owner is very new I've had other dogs but they don't compare to honestly the intelligence and personality of a husky.

As all of you I've also heard that the FURminator brush isn't really good but then again I have a friend who has three huskies and he swears by it
Didn't really know what to look for with a blown coat but I'm now finding fur everywhere even after I wash my clothes I still find traces of  her all around.

Furminator will get the undercoat shedding out, but it will damage the upper coat. Every dog i've had hates it because it pulls at their skin unlike a shedding rake which does the same thing but isn't painful or strips the upper coat. At 8 months Shiloh won't need much more than a slicker. After a year you will start to see the full coat blowing where Shiloh will have big tufts of fur sticking out that you can pluck out like picking cotton balls.
Back to top Go down
Kenajade
Newborn
Newborn

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyThu Nov 05, 2020 2:53 pm

ahh congrats on your new baby, so exited for you to get her!! I just brought home my boy!
and yes I get wold dog all the time. the fact is agouti coloring isn't that known, its becoming more popular but a lot of people still arent educated on all the different colors huskies can be.
Ahhh my girl is also feb 2020!!  

Here are some pictures of our new boy!

Agouti owners?  8a8e9410

Agouti owners?  Img_4713
Agouti owners?  Img_4712
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  EmptyMon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Oh goodness, he's just so cute!

Agouti owners?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Agouti owners?    Agouti owners?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Agouti owners?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1