It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Apollo won’t stop growing!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Apollo won’t stop growing!! Empty
PostSubject: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyWed Sep 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Okay measured Apollo today he’s 25 INCHES!!! And he’s only 10 month old! I wasn’t expecting him to get this big! Storm has been 22/23 for a while now and she’s had a season so I don’t think she’ll grow much more just fill out. But Apollo is 25 inches to the shoulder and doesn’t seem like he’s stopping soon😐
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 3:07 pm

He may slow down. Are his parents oversized? How are his growth plates looking? My big white boy is 27" at the shoulder.

Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyThu Sep 17, 2020 4:42 pm

Skye was 22 and a half, dad was 24 inches, Ive had a feel of he’s front legs and they are still quite bumpy around he’s ankle area where Storms seem to feel smooth. He’s 1 in November and I wanted to start he’s training in mushing but can’t seem him being able to at the rate he’s going! I’ve never had a boy husky so do they mature later than girls? Another things is he wasn’t interested in Storm when she was in season or my neighbours girl when she was in season so that also makes me think he’s not quite reached maturity yet
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 11:35 am

Not all males will be interested in females even at full maturity. My female was in full heat when I got my oversized male and he was unfixed 4 year old. He could not have cared less. While some males that are fixed will still act like idiots around females in heat. If the parents were slow to mature then the pups tend to lean that way as well and visa versa. Both parents are on the far top end of standard, even a hair over depending on the standard being reviewed, which could play into him being over, or he may just have hormones that aren't functioning quite right if he continues to get extensively larger.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyFri Sep 18, 2020 6:52 pm

Some boys just dont like girls. Not just people but Seattle slew was probably gay and American Pharoah is definitely gay. Shadow wasnt interested in females until right after he turned 4
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Kye wasn't interested in anyone. He still isn't. We are pretty sure that Kye is autistic. Still a new and mostly ignored concept in canines, but he checks more than enough boxes in an autism questionnaire to get him diagnosed if human.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm

People thought my mom was nuts for treating the spaniel for depression in the early 2000s. I have a theory about autism relating to preservatives. I have no sound data just observed that the autism rates are high in countries that use alot of preservatives and lower in places that have banned them. Seems like the same theory could apply to dogs. If its the preservatives themselves or the preservatives degrading the food on a chemical level i have no idea. I just remember college bio and how meat that has been frozen is molecularly different then meat that has not been frozen, even if it came from the same cow.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 3:45 pm

The folks that have been looking into autism and dogs are leaning toward over vaccination as puppies or young dogs as one possible issue. Vaccines have some interesting preservatives now days so it wouldn't surprise me if preservatives and the overload in both vaccines and food could play a role for some. Kye had several homes before we got him so it's likely he was way over vaccinated if every time he got a new home the vet said lets get him vaccinated just to make sure he's up to date and on their records. That would put him getting a 3 year rabies vaccine and a 3 year distemper vaccine every year for 4 consecutive years potentially. This whole mindset of giving a vaccine "just to be covered" when there's no paperwork for a dog is just awful for the animals that go in and out of the shelter system often.

An interesting read about the nutrient makeup of meat and food in general was called The Empty Egg. At least I think that's what it was called, because coincidentally it seems to have been scrubbed from the face of the planet (even the poultry workshop video where I heard about the book is mysteriously gone). Found it. Corrected name is the Empty Harvest. It was a look at the nutrient makeup of our current conventionally grown food sources and how they actually give next to no nutritional value since mass production food farms raise animals on monoculture feeds that sometimes aren't actually food at all so we are eating beef and chicken from CAFOs that are completely empty of any usable vitamins or minerals and in that same regard so are our animals because dog food will be made from those same empty cows and chickens. This goes for growing food on land that has been stripped of usable nutrition that has been replaced with synthetics.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Most vaccines are preserved in mercury and that has all sorts of implications to everything, and over vaccination can lead to murcury poisoning.

And now i know why i buy organic grass fed beef. Ive seen some weird things like growing a steak in a petri dish using only a few cells. When beef no longer requires a cow, just a petri dish, is it still beef. Molecular biology has gone very scary places because as long as it doesn't use a few things its basically unregulated and unlike most science, there is no ethics committee.

So im in potato country and something ive noticed is the potatoes we eat here (i buy local) are different varieties then what is commercially available at the grocery store. And none of the potato farmers eat the commercial varieties, they call them junk food. It also involves buying direct from the farmer so no sitting in a shipping container for a year, no paying a middleman, and you see where its grown. We get our pork that way from a free range heritage pig farm. They have the best bacon.

Way back when i was in 4h i saw problems with the commercial food production. I think we were looking at the ingredients in chicken feed, or it may have been that purdue turkey farm we went too. Either way i dont eat chicken anymore unless i have 1) seen the chicken alive and 2) have seen the living conditions of said poultry.

Food substitutes really scare me. The idea that we are so unhealthy that Starbucks has vitamin and probiotic coffee is scary. Milk is a prime example. After filtering and the pasteurization process they have to add back vitamins. Makes me think of the swill milk scandal where people can literally be sold anything (puss,flour,egg,dirt,mixed with milk from sick cows) and then be convinced it is healthy.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 12:27 pm

We raise most of our own food and I hunt. It used to be too far to go get it from a store so we had to. I pick up road kill a lot for the dogs. I do have to wonder at what level the preservatives and the growth hormones used on some types of feed animals could be playing a part in the growth of our animals that consume the products made from such animals. There's so much in the daily lives of humans that are hormone disrupters. A look at the depth of that for our pets could be interesting and may provide some insight into some dogs that outgrow what you would expect them to be.

Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 3:52 pm

That’s a very interesting way of looking at it, it is crazy what they feed animals and when they inject the meat with water etc
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I stopped picking up deer because of wasting disease. The "real" grocery store is about 50 miles away so we have learned where to buy direct from the ranch.

@liv_skye if i see water or solution injected i wont buy it.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! EmptyWed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am

i don’t either, it stupid and crazy what people do to meat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apollo won’t stop growing!!   Apollo won’t stop growing!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Apollo won’t stop growing!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1