It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Energy!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Is it me or don’t they ever stop!! Just lately I’ve noticed no matter how much I walk or run Storm and Apollo they just dont run out of energy😩 I’ve recently been jogging with them now they have reached over the year mark last year, and after a 2 mile run I get home and they are instantly bouncing of the walls!! Well today I walked them 6 miles!! I really wanted some peony plants and I don’t drive and husbands at work so I decided to walk to the garden centre! 3miles there and 3 miles back and again home and bouncing of the walls as if I haven’t walked them at all😐!!! Husky Energy!! Bf7d1310
Husky Energy!! D5d64610
Husky Energy!! 7b568b10
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Year old pups? Nah. No way you're gonna exercise then enough😝 Enjoy. They'll be old and settled before you know and you'll be wondering where the years went.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 pm

Squirt is still the Energizer bunny and spider is still a nut. Im still waiting for them to calm down.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Great and here’s me thinking I wasn’t giving them enough exercise🙄 stupid me ayy!!!! I am glad I have got them both! My friend today was saying how she couldn’t walk the miles we walk with her dog, I guess that’s why I got husky in the beginning the endless energy🙄I love you
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm

The ridgeback i had as a kid could outdo most huskies. I did marathon biking as a kid for several organizations and nala went with me. She could keep up with the bike for a 20 mile stretch without stopping or a break. Rhodesian ridgebacks are known for endurance.
Back to top Go down
Kaliska
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2015-05-04

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 9:24 am

2 miles.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes I used to alternate jogging and walking 10-20 miles a day with my akita and that wouldn't touch our younger husky's energy level.

Our smaller husky,Nijiro, was never really that energetic. She'll hike as long as you want and chase a ball for hours but she was never hyper or in need of that much exercise. A half mile or so and she's satisfied she went outside and did something. At around 7 years she's content to sleep most of the day under my husband's desk.

Then a few years ago we got Aiko, who gets more frequently referred to as "hyperactive wrecking ball" and "spastic brained moron". I tried to tell her she's not supposed to actually answer to "moron" but she reacts so much faster than she thinks that she's always doing something dumb. Many squeaky toys must die every week or the window frame gets eaten. We have a bark box subscription and 3 bimonthly deliveries of toys off amazon. She could run for half a day, sleep for 10mins, and be ready to run the rest of the day. She has a tendency to collapse in spasms on the floor or bed when the humans are not willing to give themselves frostbite to wear her out and all the toys have been destroyed for the month. It's usually accompanied by the squeaky death noises that sound like it's entirely possible to die of boredom. We also have sheets on subscription order for how often she rips them despite the fact she actually attempts to keep her toenails from sinking in when flailing around.

When we stop for breaks while hiking it doesn't matter if we've gone 5 miles. She throws a fit that makes a 2 year old child seem easy to deal with and eventually settles on digging giant holes. I try to keep her from digging holes near paths or actually maintained parts of any parks. Her brain just sort of short circuits when there is no movement or anything to destroy.

Agility class was interesting..... The fact she can leap half the length of the training area we were using impressed the helpers. The trainer kept telling me to give her more leash. Then he realized even he couldn't predict and react faster than her when her attention would stray for the briefest second. She actually is really smart and can be obedient but she bounces from one thing to the next so fast it feels like trying to stop 5 dogs at once from bolting away and she hits the end of a 6' leash before she seems to realize she even moved. No matter how many hours for how many weeks she spent on a 6' leash in obedience or agility classes it was just too dang short for her to react and not slam in to the end. It came down to either keep her on such a short leash she can't even attempt to go any other direction or leave her off leash and let her occasionally bounce off the walls or surrounding obstacles between doing what I asked. We hike with a skijoring setup so she's on a 15' line with a harness attached to a waist belt.

My sister made some comment about her growing up and settling down some when she was 1 year old. Her husband that spent time in Alaska sometimes even using sled dog teams to travel gave her much the same look we did. Maybe by 3 years old Aiko would calm slightly. She's passed 3 and apparently is going to be an endless ball of energy her entire life.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Amazon sells 100 foot leads and i just ordered a floating one for squirt.

Spider has spurts where she bounces off the walls andbthe furniture and im so glad her destructive tendencies have mostly stopped. Well she like pulling the moulding off the walls and all the door frames have scratches. One huge difference between a husky and a husky mixed with wolf is the exercise thing. Spider its more mental then physical so putting her in the car is just as effective as a long walk. Squirt on the other hand does not view going somewhere as actually doing something unless i let her out.

I have puppy fever right now. Trying to not impulsively go get a new dog. 99% of why not is shadow. He didnt like puppies when he could still see and ive never introduced a puppy to a blind dog before. The big reason i started looking is jerry wants to get a rescue and the dog has very specific criteria to meet and that could take awhile. Unfortunately a husky doesnt check any of the boxes, energy level being 1 problem and size being the other.
Back to top Go down
Kaliska
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2015-05-04

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 1:35 pm

We have a few 100' horse lunge lines and 300' boating lines but we end up with every tree, person, other dog, picnic table, large rock, etc.... in the line. We only use the long lines in a few places with very empty fields. Especially after the incident with the giant bull thistle that stood taller than my husband. Then we generally spend 30-40mins untangling them from each other.

Aiko vomited up some door frame at around 8 months old and luckily decided to stop eating most of the 1800s hardwood house after that. The window ledge just grinds down to sawdust if she scrapes it so it's tempting when looking out the window to start chomping on it. Turns out vinyl flooring tastes bad so minus the existing hole in front of the doorway gate that quickly stopped being a target.

It is useful that Aiko loves car rides and it generally wears her out mentally for a short time. Very short but you have the driving time without the humans having to expend energy plus the brief recovery from all the stuff and people she saw to take up part of the day. Prior to the pandemic the coffee shop came to recognize my husband's suv and always had treats for Aiko. Half the time she managed to convince them to give her a second one. Little Niji crammed in next to her making much softer "wooo" noises doesn't hurt their chances of extra treats either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Husky Energy!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Energy!!   Husky Energy!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Energy!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1