It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Lead, collar, harness?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LEV_20
Newborn
Newborn

Lead, collar, harness? Empty
PostSubject: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 pm

My 1 year old husky has trouble with not pulling. I currently use a slip lead. I’m worried that when he pulls he won’t stop even when the lead gets really tight around his neck. I’m worried he’s going to get hurt 

I was thinking about harness but have seen in all the research about it triggering huskies pulling nature. 

What collars, lead or harness would you guys recommended to reduce pulling?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2022 10:43 pm

If pulling is your concern try a halter type lead. I use a kurgo on squirt that has both a back and a front buckle and on spider i use a slip lead that i fashion into a harness.

We tried a gentle leader on squirt and she got it off. I did use one on shadow until he was about 3. I am thinking about going back to it. Not that he is a puller anymore but he has a bad habit of not following my directions and walking into things.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 6:33 pm

I use a prong collar for walking. But it should only be used for walking or treating and never left on our used for tie out. Best of you get trained on it's use either by local trainer or reliable online video ( I recommend the good dog training with Sean O'Shea

https://www.thegooddog.net/
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptySat Jan 29, 2022 6:42 pm

To piggyback what amymeme said prong collars are great if and only if used properly. They can seriously injure your pup if misused.

Also if left on reversed with the prongs out they make your dogs neck bite resistant. Its a trend here to prevent injuries from coyotes and loose dogs.
Back to top Go down
ZenaPupper
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 4:58 pm

Mine is a well known escape artist as the shelter told me. I’m using a martingale collar and it has good control especially since zorro likes to pull back at times. And I have him on also a harness when on long hikes. And I use a combination leash with two hooks that attach to both his collar and his harness just incase. And he will be on a GPS tracker soon….not usually needed but that’s coz of Zorro’s nature.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyTue Feb 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Ooo... That reminds me! If using a prong collar, definitely book up a safety from prong to regular flat collar. Sometimes one of the prongs disconnects if not fully connected (and easy to miss). So i attach a carbineer from the dead ring of the prong to the "D" ring of the flat collar I use for tags.

Also. A prong collar also features a martingale like configuration that they cannot back out of.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 12:36 pm

I use a weiss walkie leash. Similar to a slip lead but wraps under the chest. They still pull some but it has mitigated some of the pulling and they absolutely cannot slip out of it like some harnesses and are less apt to hurt themselves over pulling like some other styles of collars.

https://www.thewalkie.com/

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? EmptyTue Feb 15, 2022 1:06 pm

@Twisterii that looks like it would work well for many of our folks who have "pulling problems" Thanks for both the suggestion and the link.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lead, collar, harness?   Lead, collar, harness? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lead, collar, harness?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1