It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Debate on breed ????‍♀️

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MamaCasco
Newborn
Newborn

Debate on breed ????‍♀️ Empty
PostSubject: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 8:22 am

Wondering what type of husky

This is our boy Raiden. We have not done a DNA test yet, however there has been a debate on Raidens breed. He was born in SC (drove to get him) his vets there said Alaskan husky (pic of all his brothers) mom and dad are gorgeous, mom is white  and dad and black and white. The debate is due to his long snout,  when he was a pup it wasn't long and as he grew it got bigger. Most people thing there is only 1 type of husky. Many say he's a Shepard.  We have asked our vets in NJ and they also said Alaska husky even before we gave them his info. When you look up photos of Alaskan husky they have long snouts but not as long as his. What do you thing?[Debate on breed ????‍♀️ 20220611
Debate on breed ????‍♀️ 20210711
Debate on breed ????‍♀️ Resize11
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 12:03 pm

I get myself in trouble every time I do this so let's see if I can be diplomatic this time.

Of course you've looked up the Alaskan Husky as a breed and found out there isn't one.  See Wiki Alaskan Husky just so we're on the same page.  I have both an Alaskan Husky and a Siberian and often have to explain why one is a breed and one, by definition, is a mutt.

When mushers try to get the best bred dog they can, either to win a race or keep them alive in the northern winters, they just start putting likely dogs together.  Using Sibe or Malamute as the base for their endurance, then over the years add in some GSD for their strength, a bit of Lab for the personality and then some Greyhound for their speed - why, you got yourself a verifiable Alaskan Husky! Just by looks, your boy will probably be a good part Siberian Husky, some GSD and I have no idea ... whatever the case, you have a very handsome young pup there.  

In summ ... by definition the length of his muzzle can be just about anything.  The longer the better, up to a point of course, since that allows the muzzle to warm up the potentially very cold air.  It's not something I'd be concerned with, it just makes him uniquely your dog.

I've wanted to get a simple DNA done on my Avalanche ... out of curiosity not any concern.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyMon Jan 16, 2023 12:01 pm

That obviously wasn't the answer they wanted. I've checked and they've logged in at least a couple of times ... oh well.

Back to top Go down
MamaCasco
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyMon Jan 16, 2023 5:30 pm

Please know I was able to read the reply, just didn't have a chance to answer back. As I am a busy mom as well. Unique he definitely is, I am open to what people think. Thank you on it, our vet and many others say he's an Alaskan Husky and many says he's a white German Sheppard. But his mom and dad are definitely husky. I want to try the DNA just to see what it would say. Our handsome boy is a sweetie and the kids are happy, just drives me nuts when you always have to defend what your dogs breed is. It's funny cause the young kidd at the school always say omg look it's a wolf...lol The Admin knows he not but it cute.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyMon Jan 16, 2023 11:42 pm

@MamaCasco I'm sorry, I tend to be impatient when I reply to someone who's asked a question. I check back to see if I did really answer to their satisfaction or if they might have a follow-up.
Please excuse my impatience ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 1:23 am

I would not rule out pure Siberian in that dog. Probably wouldn't win many conformation points but he is a handsome dog. Any chance the mom got lost while she was receptive? It is possible for dogs to have a litter with more than one sire so I wouldn't rule out some GSD in there.

And, as Al described, an Alaskan Husky is a breeder concocted mix of breeds looking to capture specific traits desirable for a specific purpose.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 3:27 am

Way cute. Probably some gsd in there. @aljones thanks for the Alaskan info, now i know what to call spider.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyTue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 pm

I have a backyard breeder special husky of low quality that looks like he is a large white shepherd but he dna tested as pure. I have a younger pup that looks very pure of medium quality that I suspect will test as a low mix. With the way people breed dogs willy nilly you just never know what you will get unless you go through a reputable breeder who does proper lineage research and breeds with standard and use in mind. Always worth a dna test to feed curiosity but as long as you are happy with him and how he looks and, most importantly, acts then there's really nothing to defend. Though I use my low quality male as a teaching moment for every person who comes up and asks if he is a white shepherd to inform them about the importance of supporting reputable breeders when getting puppies and support rescues/shelters when not.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ EmptyWed Jan 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Those dna test can be a little weird as ive been reading lately. Mostly with specific breeds with special adaptations. A purebred tibetan mastiff will always show as a mix with trace unknown that is now known to be tibetan wolf heritage from several thousand years ago. We ran a genetic profile on shadow, who has akc and chech papers, and it showed he was 98%gsd and 2% wolf. As they get more specific i do wonder with northern breeds what they will find.

And then i sometimes wonder about the throwback thing. You see it more talked about when you end up with a 40lb purebred pomeranian, but historically there was more then 1 type of sibe. Squirt does not look like a sibe whatsoever until you look at actual pictures of balto. Same build same tail. And considering that the breed was more suited to a purpose then a specific look or standard until a 100 years ago, performance based breeding can create a wide standard, and 100 years isnt enough time to homogenize the gene pool 100%.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate on breed ????‍♀️   Debate on breed ????‍♀️ Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate on breed ????‍♀️

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1