It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Learning to speak husky.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Husky - Learning to speak husky. Empty
PostSubject: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyTue May 09, 2023 11:47 pm

So my husky is decent at communication, but I find she uses like one noise to communicate a wide range of things.

It's like a loud breathe out, huffy puffy sound and then a quiet muffled short 'ruff' bark.

It sounds kind of like she's annoyed and does it when she's on guard at someone or wants to wake me up in the morning to go pee. But she also does it when she's about to go on a walk and seems excited? Or when I am about to give her a good treat. It just seems to be like her generic sound for anything...

So I'm sitting here and she's been doing it for like 20 minutes after giving her a good dinner after evening walk and I just don't know what exactly she's up to. I gave her lots of attention, but actually she seemed annoyed at that. Then she paced around kind of making her huffy puffy sound, looked out the window few times. I'm just like tf you want dog?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyWed May 10, 2023 2:08 am

Lol
Back to top Go down
wooley4pk
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2023-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyWed May 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Our one boy is very vocal about everything.... he will stand and bark for water or ice cubes by the sink. But I find they are so used their routine, that is i did something yesterday at 10:00 , that means it should have everyday at 10. lol
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyThu May 11, 2023 11:54 pm

She also never seems happy to see me when I come back, just pissed off that I left? I thought dogs were supposed to be happy to see you.

Also its the weirdest thing, when I say "Walk" she also seems pissed off and starts barking until I put the leash on her. I thought dogs were supposed to get excited about "Walk"?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyFri May 12, 2023 12:23 am

Just to put in my opinion. I leave spider she causes thousands of dollars in damage. I ask her if ahe wants to go somewhere and grab the leash and she jumps on the couch runs to the bedroom and does the screamy howl in protest. Damn animal wants it both ways. And walk.. doesnt exist for about the first 30ish mins. And gawd forbid we stop for more then a few seconds its like she has a i stopped moving panic attack. Anyway thats more a husky issue then a wolfy issue but be glad you have a real dog.

Squirt has full conversations in a howl yodel. I speak Squirt very well but ive had her since 8 weeks and she will be 11 in September
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptyMon May 15, 2023 9:54 am

You have a female and they are just different than males. Your female is like mine. She is bored and unimpressed. they like their routine but they basically come equipped with the attitude of a cat. You are her slave and your are disobedient the majority of the time. You will be hard pressed to get a general "happy" out of them. The males tend to be a little more affectionate but they aren't Labs. They don't express themselves like typical human worshiper breeds do. Huskies aren't for the needy. They won't love you in the way most people think dogs should and they will leave you forever the first time the door is left cracked open a little too far.

Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySat May 20, 2023 1:11 am

I've discovered, for some reason my walking around on all fours and acting like a dog really freaks her out... she like hides in the corner and runs away
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySat May 20, 2023 7:39 pm

stray wrote:
I've discovered, for some reason my walking around on all fours and acting like a dog really freaks her out... she like hides in the corner and runs away

Be careful with that - I tried to get my big guy to howl by sitting next to him and howling myself. After the third howl, he raked my face with his big ol' paw, leaving me rather bloody and suitably chastised - though I'm don't know what I said in howl language😜
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySun May 21, 2023 1:33 am

Be careful abput doing that. When the 8 yr old that was over did that it set off spiders prey drive.

As to what the howls actually mean im not sure what i do know is the high pitched screamy howl is im happy or excited the low loud wolf howl is i am upset and if spider barks something is really wrong.

And then there are the different levels of growl. There is the rumbling im happy grunt, the loud back off growl amd the really quiet scary growl. Ive really only seen it a few times and its almost always been a mountain lion, lynx, or bobcat. Once it was a wolverine. I think that growl is the attack warning.

And spider is extremely demanding, when she wants attention, otherwise just being in the same house is ok. And she growled at the kids when they went to her, but was 100% fine with them as long as it was her terms. What did backfire was the 8 yr old found out that if spider wants to be pet, you are going to pet her. He tried to stop and she wacked him with her paw and kept doing it until he started petting her again.

And yes i know spider is a mix but last time i checked wolves are similar in the cat personality and spider mostly expresses her doggy side at home.

@stray sometimes i wonder if your pup was abused at some point. Some of the things remind me of a tibetan mastiff we had. She wasnt abused but she was crated for extremely long periods of time and not socialized. She was one of the best dogs we ever had but it took alot of time. Over a year before she really came around.
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySun May 21, 2023 1:47 am

Lostmaniac wrote:
Be careful abput doing that. When the 8 yr old that was over did that it set off spiders prey drive.

As to what the howls actually mean im not sure what i do know is the high pitched screamy howl is im happy or excited the low loud wolf howl is i am upset and if spider barks something is really wrong.

And then there are the different levels of growl.  There is the rumbling im happy grunt, the loud back off growl amd the really quiet scary growl. Ive really only seen it a few times and its almost always been a mountain lion, lynx, or bobcat. Once it was a wolverine. I think that growl is the attack warning.

And spider is extremely demanding, when she wants attention, otherwise just being in the same house is ok. And she growled at the kids when they went to her, but was 100% fine with them as long as it was her terms. What did backfire was the 8 yr old found out that if spider wants to be pet, you are going to pet her.  He tried to stop and she wacked him with her paw and kept doing it until he started petting her again.

And yes i know spider is a mix but last time i checked wolves are similar in the cat personality and spider mostly expresses her doggy side at home.

@stray sometimes i wonder if your pup was abused at some point.  Some of the things remind me of a tibetan mastiff we had. She wasnt abused but she was crated for extremely long periods of time and not socialized. She was one of the best dogs we ever had but it took alot of time. Over a year before she really came around.

I don't think the prior owners were abusive but I could see potentially some lack of care or time given to her. They said she wasn't spayed simply because they just didn't get around to it... seems kind of like a big thing to just not have time for if you get a dog. Also the collar she had on initially seemed quite frail and cheap, and the plastic clip was cracked. Keeping a husky on such a collar that's partially broken seems too like they just didn't have much time or weren't paying her much attention. I've also learned that the food they said she ate she actually hates. Like she would keep pushing it out of her bowl, I mentioned this back to them when I got her, and they said she just did that. But then I got a few different varieties of food and she eats another dry brand readily, none pushed out of the bowl and gets excited for it. So I guess they only fed her this food she didn't like and just made her eat it. I also guess they had like 5 dogs. Took in a few too many from a litter I think and figured the kids would take care of them, I think they said they had her brother too? Honestly I don't know the full back story. It was a family with kids, and a few too many dogs, that seemed like normal decent people, there weren't any red flags, but they were in seemingly a tough spot of having to sell their house to move to smaller apartment, re-home all of these dogs because they couldn't take them, and they were rehoming for free, not trying to sell them. I think the whole family (humans included) were in what may have been pretty stressful and hectic times for past few years, so she may have been not treated as well as she could be.

Last edited by stray on Sun May 21, 2023 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySun May 21, 2023 1:56 am

Also she has a very weird response to being picked up. You have to really really announce and let her know your going to pick her up, she has to see it is my hand, then I have to do it very slowly in very specific way and she maybe only lets me pick her up partially for a few seconds. Without this very specific and clear announcement of its me picking her up, she really flips out, and not in just a "I don't like that way" like getting wet or something, but serious stress response, almost aggressive body language and low tone noise, it's uniquely more negative than any of her other negative responses. Made me think whoever would pick her up in the past must have been not nice about it and been picking her up to force her somewhere she didn't like to go.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. EmptySun May 21, 2023 3:05 am

My dogs have crap tractor supply collars but doesnt mean mine arnt extremely well taken care of.

Kids can ne mean to dogs and the parents might not even know. Stress long term can be detrimental to both dogs and humans. And under socializing might be an issue or it might be her.personality.

The border collie that was over was weird in a very unsocialized way. I didnt want to send him home. She got him for the kids but wont fence the yard. The 8 yr old loves him but cant walk him and the 12 yr old only cares about his snapchat girlfriend. The dog spends 20 hours a day either in a crate or on a 20 foot cable. He doesnt respond like a normal dog. And was already borderline neurotic from lack of physical and mental stimulation. And they think giving him a rawhide chew "tires him out" but they are first time dog owners that trust google more then me. He had diarrhea and i told her i was giving him pumpkin and she flipped. Then looked on google and all the sudden dr google said it was ok, so it was ok. When he was over he ran the fence line until he fell over from exhaustion or was in the bathroom whining and destroying things. At almost a year they think him still trying to eat the house is normal, not being housetrained yet is normal and taking things off the counters is cute. But the dog isnt abused but the 12 yr old more then once i had to tell not to be so ruff with his dog and not to pick him up and thow him into the couch and not to jerk him around by his collar. Some call it abuse but really its just the kid not knowing better and the parents also not realizing what is happening. Doesnt mean it doesnt screw up the dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning to speak husky.   Husky - Learning to speak husky. Empty

Back to top Go down

Learning to speak husky.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1