It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? Empty
PostSubject: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyWed Dec 20, 2023 11:10 pm

I was thinking it'd be nice if I could take my doge off leash... but she can't be off leash because she's a fur demon bitch to too many other animals. To which electronic training devices with a remote seem like a nice thing BUT I am not putting a shock collar on her.

Made me wonder is there some other device that restrains the dog via remote? Like a harness, or maybe something that goes on the legs, that would do something to prevent them from continuing to run. Like maybe inflate up like a life jacket to restrict movement?

I've been searching around for this but seems only training tools with remote are all shock based.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 1:39 am

My opinion is, if your dog has issues around ANY dog, they have no business being off leash. There is also a likelihood of getting hit by a car.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 4:38 am

@Stray  I've looked at a few collars for that very reason, I live in the middle of nowhere and would like to let my dogs off led when they're out but they, typically husky, love to run.  As this area has grown - let's say that the population has tripled since I moved here 12 years back - the traffic becomes more of a problem.  

You don't want a shock collar but almost any training collar you're going to find will have vibrate, tone and shock.  You don't have to use shock, it's just an option.  

Let me echo @Lostmaniac, if your dog isn't generally well behaved letting her off leash around another dog is just asking for trouble.  Don't even consider it!  If you know she has problems, let her off lead and she makes a rag doll out of a shitsu you're going to enjoy a stay in court and a hefty fine - at least.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 5:07 am

Agreed with the previous two opinions. A training collar definitely has it's place, a good one, at least. As Al has said, a high quality training collar like the ecollar technologies models, have "stim," tone and vibrate. But you need to extinguish the "fur demon bitch behavior" first AND train the dog how to respond to the collar before you ever attempt of leash. I suggest you look into The Good Dog training and rehabilitation with Sean O'Shea.

And the shock is really not a shock. It's a sort of zingy like feeling similar to a TENS unit used for nerve pain control in people.

Last edited by aljones on Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add the link to TGD)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 1:22 pm

I'll disagree with @Amymeme a bit.

I have reviewed three different training collars and as a part of my test I touch the contacts with my hand (I'm not fool enough to put it on my throat and turn it in!) One of them has a nice tingle, enough to get my (or my dogs) attention but not what I'd consider a major jolt. The other two ... one sent my dog under my house and he wasn't coming back out (this is when I decided I'd try it on me first) the other was sorta between the first two, it had a range of 'shock' so it could be set low enough that it was 'just a tingle' or high enough that I wouldn't use it at all.

If you're going to get a training (shock) collar look closely at what you're getting. You don't want something that's going to make your dog jump out into traffic to get away from the collar on his neck and there have been cases of just that.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptyThu Dec 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Al - that is previously why i state "high quality" ecollar. One that has about 100 levels. The training level for Ami is somewhere around 8 - a level that o cannot perceive on my inner wrist. A "here's in prey mode" and "off to the races" level of corrections for him is 16-18, on my ecollar technologies mini, that is a strong tingly buzz on my inner wrist. But, truth be told, Ami is much more averse to the "tap" which is like a cell phone vibrate setting. That startles him big time. The whole point of the ecollar is to get the dogs attention, sort of like a tap on the shoulder. As in Back to the Future "McFly...McFly." Which is why the dog MUST be trained to commands, not just punished. Though punishment does have it's place for behaviors that must be extinguished. But - punishment does not mean pain!

For example, when we first had Z'ev and he was highly dog reactive, i had a Dickens of a time with doorways - neither Ami nor Archer could come through a doorway without us needing to restrain Z'ev and even then usually resulted in a fight as the others two responded to Z'ev's attack (fortunately Z'ev was the smallest and weakest of the there and Ami and Archer only delivered loud, form corrections with no blood spilled - except maybe my own ass i broke up tussles 🙄). I finally had it with this behavior and set up a training situation. Z'ev had already been conditioned to the ecollar, his working level being slightly above that of the other two. I stayed in the front hall with Z'ev on leash, remote in one hand and treats in the other. Hubby was outside with Ami on leash - he would open the door and come through. When Z'ev started to launch into Ami, I issued a correction and a sit command. When he stopped and in sit, he got a treat. The first time he launched in full attack mode, the key to correction being timing - at the first tensing of his body, correction is issued. By the third round, I needed no correction, just a sit command and a treat. And after that, doorways became a non issue. And I had less bleeding 😜 I firmly believe that Z'ev would have been euthanized in the first 3 months if i hasn't used ecollar with him, it saved his life. That and the muzzle. Sigh. Could not stop the inevitable of aging. I miss that little guy terribly😢
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 12:21 am

If you absolutely insist on letting her run, i have a 50 ft lead and 2 25 ft cables that give squirt 100 ft. If im in a dog/cattle/sheep free area i will let her off leash. I would never attempt off leash that with spider farther then my front yard.  

@amymeme i would have tried that with squirt except with 4 its more difficult. Ive noticed the boys, mostly splinter, amp the situation up. But i also dont exactly understand what squirt about. Like she is sizing the other animal up and getting them to relax then attacks catching them off guard. She also goes for the abdomen and rear legs. Its odd.  And spider only seems to have an issue with squirt aside from when we are having the resource guarding issues with her and her daddy. 

@stray also keep in mind that fights between male dogs seldom result in injuries but fights between female dogs can be extremely violent and sometimes deadly. So particularly a dog aggressive female should not be off leash around other dogs. It could hurt you financially and if she bit someone other then you trying to break up a fight it could end with her being euthanized, depending on you local laws.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:31 am

@lostmaniac I was comfortable setting up the training situation only because Ami is a gem (unless you're a chicken, duck, rabbit, raccoon, etc 🙄) He was the perfect dog for Z'ev to learn how to be a dog. Wouldn't take Z'ev's shenanigans, was very firm in behavior that would not be tolerated. But never hurt him. Same thing every time - grab him by the active, flatten him and shake the bejesus out of him, never leaving a mark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?   Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there any non-shocking electronic training devices?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1