It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where to put the crate??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AmR
Newborn
Newborn

crate - Where to put the crate?? Empty
PostSubject: Where to put the crate??   crate - Where to put the crate?? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:15 am

I just got my 8 Week Pup and started crated training yesterday.
He's a cryer lol, he wont stop howling and barking for maybe 40 to 1 hour then he will simmer down.

I am wondering is it better to put the crate in my room near me or does that defeat the purpose of crate training?

Should i keep it downstairs and farther away from me?

Tony
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Where to put the crate??   crate - Where to put the crate?? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:47 am

Take a look at this topic, and it may already have a lot of answers to your questions:

Crate Training

Here's addition tips:

Crate Training

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Where to put the crate??   crate - Where to put the crate?? EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:04 pm

AmR wrote:
I am wondering is it better to put the crate in my room near me or does that defeat the purpose of crate training?

Should i keep it downstairs and farther away from me?

I would recommend keeping the crate in your room/near you rather than further away. Huskies are pack animals and need to be close to their family. An 8 wk old pup is surely going through some big changes having been recently separated from his mom and littermates for the first time. He will definitely benefit from being close to you in a crate versus farther away. But just having the crate in your room/close to you does not mean that will curb the crying and upset, do have a read through the threads that Claudia linked to in the above post and be patient. You'd probably cry too if you were just a baby and were plucked away from your family and sent to live with strangers who suddenly plopped in you a cage and expected you to be happy about it. Wink

Make the crate a warm, inviting place that he can relax and feel good about. Lots of praise for good behavior and spending time in the crate, the crate should be a source of all things good. And don't expect results overnight, these things take time and each individual will take their own amount of time to adjust. Sounds like he's doing okay already since you said he does eventually calm down. With practice the amount of time he takes to settle should lessen and lessen.

PostSubject: Re: Where to put the crate??   crate - Where to put the crate?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where to put the crate??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Training-