It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Harness / Pack sizing question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

harness - Harness / Pack sizing question Empty
PostSubject: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:09 am

I'm looking to get Appa a palisades pack, but I wasn't sure about sizing. Ruffwear lists their medium as 26"-36" girth. Appa is now right at 27", being only 5.5 months old, do expect him to outgrow it (adding 10" of girth) before he's full grown or am I safe to get a medium and use that for years to come?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 am

I think you'll be fine with a medium, unless you end up with a 100 lb husky like my Storm.
Ginger is 58 lbs and she has a medium with room if she ever got fat.

Backcountry K9 will be having a 4th of July sale with Ruff Wear products on sale at 25% off starting Monday. I'm not 100% sure they will have the Palisades Pack on sale, but you might want to wait.

http://www.backcountryk9.com/Backpacks.aspx

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:57 am

Larges at Ruffwear are HUGE- you have to keep in mind all their products aren't meant for small dogs. My dog is about 53lbs, 23.5 inches tall and has a big chest- a medium is still lose on him, in all reality he should wear a small probably at the loosest setting. If your dog is going to be average size, I'd do medium.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 12:45 pm

I thought we kinda settled on Appa being Malamute. I would go large and just deal with the slack until he fits. You won't be seriously loading him anyway until it does fit right. A large fits both of my Mals fine, just fine.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 2:22 pm

I just just thinking the other day if we had all decided if appa was a mal or not....

a Med on Jack is pulled tight on the chest area and still lose, now a Med might work just fine for him but if he gets as big as eddys Mals, then a Lg might be the way to go.... you could get the med and resell it if he does out grow it.

other then the issues i have been having with the palisades pack i think it is a great pack and backcountry K-9 has been amazing with working with me to fix everything!

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Well I just can't decide what he is. He's an Appa.

I was talking with my bro in law about getting this pack and he informed me he can get all RuffWear gear at 55% off through work! I'll do the med. and switch if he outgrows it.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Well I just can't decide what he is. He's an Appa.

I was talking with my bro in law about getting this pack and he informed me he can get all RuffWear gear at 55% off through work! I'll do the med. and switch if he outgrows it.

Score!!

Ginger has a medium, and the belts are cinched almost all the way. She probably could fit the small if the belts were let out all the way. Ginger measures 28-29 in girth.

Storm has a large, and his girth measures 35-36 inches at the widest point, and he's 99 lbs. The packs on the large is bigger than the medium.

If you want, I could see if Storm can actually fit the medium if that'll help you decide what size to order?

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I think with such a discount I'll just get the med and when/if he outgrows it I'll sell it and buy a large.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:17 pm

You'll have lots of use out of the medium! He may not even grow out of it until you need a new pack!

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:03 am

His pack should be here on Friday, just in time for the long weekend. I'm excited! Hopefully these stomach-woes will pass so we can go play outside with his new pack.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 1:47 am

So, his pack got here, it fits great, and he does great with it. I do have one question though: getting his right front leg into the harness seems to be a bit of a chore. I put the harness over his head first, then I have to manually feed his leg through the loop. Is there an easier way? At first he didn't mind this process, but now it's getting to be a bit annoying to him...

harness - Harness / Pack sizing question Img_2011
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 am

Looks great on him! I don't have that pack but most harnesses require a leg or two be fed through, at least all of mine do.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

That's how I get jacks on but I bend the right leg at the wrist and it slips on eaiser. It will take time for him to get used to it. I also find it better to put on the harness then snap on the pack when its full.

Puppy
Puppy
jrkujak

Female Join date : 2012-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Nike is about 4.5 months and she's around 25 lbs. We're expecting her to end up around 45-50 lbs. What would you recommend for a size of harness?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm

till she is close to fully grown you might be better off with adjustable ones, im not much help in that area other then to say ruff wear does have one. but if your talking a X-back pulling one i would wait.
http://www.backcountryk9.com/Harnesses.aspx
i love the web master one, we have it cause it comes with the one back pack

The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Most harnesses come in the

-small
-medium
-large

Range.

Some have extra small and extra large options too.

Most have adjustable straps allowing you make it snug and comfortable on your pup.

You will more then likely need a Medium for a Husky, though to be 100% sure without trying one on in store you simply measure the girth of your pup.

You can measure the girth by finding the circumference of WIDEST part of your pup's Ribcage (generally right behind the front legs).

Most online retailers, like ruff wear, will give you an example of what size you should be using based on the girth.

~Chris~

ETA - LOVE LOVE LOVE our harness + pack too. Best money ever spent.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm

Check the webmaster harness by Ruff Wear. I have the small for Ginger and she's 51 lbs and she fits it with room to expand a little. It'll adjust down to a 22" girth so measure her girth now and if she fits the small now, she could fit the small for a while.

PostSubject: Re: Harness / Pack sizing question   harness - Harness / Pack sizing question Empty

Back to top Go down

Harness / Pack sizing question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1