It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shelbs
Newborn
Newborn
shelbs

Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! Empty
PostSubject: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 am

Ok first of all I just wanna say this is the first male dog I have owned. Usually I stray away from them because of the marking, constant "red rockets" and things like that. Well luke just melted our hearts and he doesn't mark or anything like that but he is a year and a month old we are his second owner and I have noticed that unlike most male dogs I have never seen him get "excited" over every little thing. If you know what I mean?! I don't know what to think. He isn't neutered so I find this odd. I mean is this just a sib husky thing. Then someone told me it could be cause he hasn't been around any females in season and thats why he doesn't. But I haven't seen this happen to him once since we got him and where I was happy it wasn't happening before I am now growing concerned. Can anyone shed some light on this? I know its hard to find anything regarding this subject on the web.

Thanks bunches,

shelbs
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 am

I have heard that when a male dog "humps" your leg or a pillow or some other such thing, he is attempting to show dominance over that object. I don't know if that is true or not since I have also seen my boy get so excited while playing that he just throws a little "hump-action" in there! Regardless, most of the time "humping" really has nothing to do with sex at all (unless, of course, there really is a female in heat that he's involved with! Embarassed ). Our boy would "hump" things quite frequently when we first brought him home, but now that his place has been established in our pack, (Holy Cow! He probably thinks he's the BOSS! Shocked ) he does it very rarely.

Are you keeping your guy unaltered with hopes to use him in breeding??

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 8:46 am

He is young yet he'll be entering his "teen stage" soon and with that will come the desire to use his gifts.

Get him neutered you'll do him a big favor and you a lot fewer headaches and embarrassments.
Back to top Go down
shelbs
Newborn
Newborn
shelbs

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 pm

We hope to breed him once we have all the eye tests and hip and joint tests done, as well as him being old enough. But I am asking because he isn't getting those. Its the first dog I have seen that NEVER seems to get excited in that way and I just wondered if that was normal for sibs huskies. Thought maybe they don't get like that as easy. Idk if you understood that or missunderstood what I meant. I mean I guess doesn't get like that but I wasn't sure if I should be concerned. I have found alot of info about alot of things regarding the breed and breeding in general but this whole subject is something I can't seem to find info on and everytime I search it. Its in regards to neutered dogs still getting "red rockets" and such. I am trying to find the total opposite.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:15 pm

"red rockets" lol!

Sorry, but that made me laugh. I think some of it may be the temperment of the dog. My husky is very easily excitable. Just the mention of a word that triggers his excitment rises his rocket, lol. Feeding time, pool time, the mention of going to work...it's there, but it goes away quickly as he can clam himself more quickly and never been a problem. However, my other dog never gets it. He tends to be a more fearful, nervous dog. So even when he is excited, it tends to be nervous excitement. And in 3 years, I've maybe seen him get a rocket 1 or 2x. Whereas Frankie is just a happy go lucky dog and he can't hide it.

Have you mentioned it to your vet? Does the vet think it is a concern?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Hubby refers to Storm's as 'crayon' Smile

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 4:11 pm

Wait, I'm confused, are you asking why your dog doesn't get a boner or am I completely missing the point? Because I think you are all thinking they mean excited as in bouncing off the walls.. and I am getting she means red rockets since that keeps being brought up?

Koda hardly ever gets red rockets, it only happens if he sits a certain way sometimes...? Same thing before he got snipped..
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Kody gets red rockets when he's really excited only. Like when we get home from work for example. It doesn't last too long though. It's funny my hubby is always making fun of him telling him that he has a lil wee wee..LOL
Back to top Go down
shelbs
Newborn
Newborn
shelbs

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Lol don't laugh at me!?!?! I was only concerned because I see all these other male dogs all around that seem to get so excited so easy and I was starting to freak out over it! We just adopted him not that long ago he hasn't been in to see the vets yet so I haven't asked but plan too. I was just curious if anyone else thought it should be a concern!!! I know it sounds silly but idk I thought it was something that was pretty common with male dogs and when it wasn't happening with mine I thought something might be off. And I know I know I should be happy he doesn't embarrass us and do this but seriously I rarely have any male dogs. Every dog my husband and I have owned is females so this is new to us. But I know other family members have males. I hope this wasn't a silly thing I have asked. I just didn't know if I should reschedule the vet for sooner due to this.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I'm not real knowledgeable here, because my only boy boy is now only 7.5 months old... but in addition to exciting things like walks and car rides he will have the occasional boner because he has to pee (at least I think that's why). I've always assumed he's kinds like a human in that way. Again, though, these incidences have little to nothing to do with sex. I think when he's old enough and when sex is offered to him, he'll know what to do!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!   Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd Question...But help asap would be great!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1