It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firecallie
Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  Empty
PostSubject: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:18 am

For instance, I went to the bathroom today. The dog followed me in, and I kicked her out. Then, when I got out of the bathroom I noticed she had peed on the floor.

Later that day, some friends are leaving the house. Two seconds later the dog goes and pees on the carpet again.

I am giving the dog plenty of opportunities to go outside. I take him out 2 times every hour. She goes just about each time I take her out. I'm so confused...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 10:27 am

I don't think dogs will pee in spite of you. Have you taken her to the vet to rule out a possible health issue such as a urinary infection or something like that? How much water is she drinking, that sounds like an awful lot of urination...a little too much. I would get her looked at a vet first and foremost to rule out medical reasons.

Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2011-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:59 pm

That's so funny because I was thinking the exact same thing today. My puppy cannot stand to be outside for more than 30 seconds so when I make him go outside to pee he kind of gets irritated. First thing he does when we get back inside is almost drink up his entire bowl. I swear he flashed me a look as if to say "just wait until you're not looking cus I'm gonna pay you back."
Back to top Go down
KitsuneKage13
Newborn
Newborn
KitsuneKage13

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 am

I disagree; my 8 month puppy, Zephyr, is fully house-trained and lets me know when he wants/needs to go outside to use the restroom (and he takes care of that every time he's outside). However, if he does something bad, like biting or something else that he KNOWS he isn't supposed to do, and gets scolded, then he will walk a few steps away, face me (making eye contact and everything), and urinate on the carpet. If that isn't being spiteful, then I don't know what is, haha. Anyway, he isn't doing it nearly as much as he was, because he's realized that that isn't acceptable behavior, but I'm still working on breaking that habit of his. Good luck with training your dog!

~Jenelle
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

It's so funny how people react to dogs bodily functions. Dogs do not think pee and poo are anything gross, that's strictly a human thing. Actually dogs use pee and poo as communication sources. Since they don't get the gross factor they can't be doing it for spite but rather communication. They maybe frustrated, bored, trying to get attention, or trying to show ownership but they have no concept of spite.

They can however be conditioned to knowing a particular action gets them attention, positive or negative. Whenever one of mine had an accident (before my dog door), I just took them outside with a calm demeanor and cleaned the mess up without them being present.

Last edited by Lordbroll on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 am

I have to agree with Brian here. Spite is a human emotion, not a canine one. It's our own fault for attributing human emotions to dogs when they don't particularly have them, at least not on their own. They can feed off of our emotions and they know happy and sad, but they don't understand much beyond that.

Your pup wasn't doing anything out of spite. He was continuing trying to get your attention. Next time something like that happens, I challenge you to take a step back and look at the situation. Why was he biting or doing the initial act that he "knows he's not supposed to?" What is he trying to tell you? Because in all likelihood, he got scolded and shut down, so he just turned around to do something else he KNOWS will elicit a reaction out of you.

My guess? Your pup had energy that was not being expended so he was looking for you to play with him and help him get that energy out. I bet if he was getting exercised more, it wouldn't have happened, or if you had scolded him, then turned around and engaged in an acceptable playful activity, the peeing wouldn't have happened.

Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Koda wrote:
I have to agree with Brian here. Spite is a human emotion, not a canine one. It's our own fault for attributing human emotions to dogs when they don't particularly have them, at least not on their own. They can feed off of our emotions and they know happy and sad, but they don't understand much beyond that.

I agree,spite is definitely a human emotion. I know a lot of times it seems Luke they are being spiteful, but they really are not. Think about wolves or other wild canine. Do you think a wolf would go do something spiteful to his pack mate because he wouldn't play with him or share food?

Dogs focus on which actions will get your attention, and unfortunately for us humans, peeing is one of them. Dogs learn quickly that peeing in the house gets them attention. They don't care that the attention is negative.

As was stated before, remaining calm and cleaning up the mess without the dog present is really your best option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?    Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Will a dog pee when it's "upset" at you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1