It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firecallie
Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I've seen her around other dogs and she's never had any trouble. I'm nervous though and don't know what to expect with her. Any advice? She does great in Pet Smart and walking around the neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:51 pm

my only concern is she UTD on all her puppy shots and other vaccinations? would not take her to a park if she is not. how old is she?

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:58 pm

For her first time I would go at a low traffic time to be safe. I think middle of the day and middle of the week tend to be less crowded times at most parks. I'd keep her on a lead at first as well just to monitor her reaction in the beginning before letting her off. Definitely make sure she's up to date on vaccinations as a precaution. Observe the other dogs in the park before going in and don't hesitate to leave if you don't feel comfortable. There are plenty of people who do bring aggressive dogs so it's up to you to pay attention and be prepared for anything.

Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Great advice keep it coming!

She is 6 mo. Is UTD on all vacinations including kennel cough.

Her previous owner said she used to go with him often. However, she sometimes ignores me when I call her but she has yet to run away from me.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about her not listening. Even the best listeners will completely ignore you at the dog park...my own sibe included.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 pm

oh she is plenty old enough for the dog park, i really hope you mean she has yet to run away from you in an inclosed place... huskies are NOT off leash dogs and she is very close to the entering into the "teenage" rebellion stage of a husky, if she runs you might not get her back. it would be great training to get a super long lead like 50' to hook her took in the dog park and work on recall training. she will think she can run but she cant cause the leash is so long. then let her play and run in the fenced in area and then work a little more on the recall training.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 6:42 pm

You can find a 50' lead on Amazon.com for $22.

Newborn
Newborn
firecallie

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Great to know. True, she has never been off the leash intentionally. Her harness fell of the first time I put it on. I have no idea how long we had been walking around the neighbrohood without a leash attached. Other than that it's always been in enclosed "safe" spaces.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Just a story to keep in mind at the dog park. The only time I've seen a problem here is on entry, when the dogs gang up together at the gate and when someone keeps there dog on lead too long. Dogs on leads when everyone else is running free causes territorial issues, so much so one of the rules posted outside most all our dog parks here is to remove the lead after entry. Usually happens with adult dogs but just thought I would mention it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Defintely start out during a low traffic time, makes it less stressful for you. Don't hesitate to let people know that you're a dog park newbie. I found that most were more than happy to teach me about dog park etiquette and also gave me a heads up about who to look out for.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
Just a story to keep in mind at the dog park. The only time I've seen a problem here is on entry, when the dogs gang up together at the gate and when someone keeps there dog on lead too long. Dogs on leads when everyone else is running free causes territorial issues, so much so one of the rules posted outside most all our dog parks here is to remove the lead after entry. Usually happens with adult dogs but just thought I would mention it.

I was also told something similar to that when we first took Ginger to the dog park. I was afraid to let her off leash in the beginning thinking I wouldn't be able to catch her, so I kept her on leash for a few minutes until someone came up to me saying that other dogs in the park could see Ginger as an easy target being on leash and for her safety, to take her off leash when you enter the first gate, or as soon as you enter the second gate that gets you in the park.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Lordbroll wrote:

Ditto. I don't recommend keeping dogs on leads in the dog park for very long after entry. It only makes a couple minutes to gauge her reaction then let her off.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Many dog parks require immediate removal of leashes or leads upon entry, last thing you want to worry about is your Husky getting clothes lined because the leash was attached.

I started taking Adobo & Biko to the paw park this year it still amazes me with all the dogs there they mingle so well together. Adobo isn't a worry at all. In fact she had the time of her life last Saturday playing chase with a Greyhound. Biko, I still watch closely because he is still at that punky just under 2 yrs of age stage and will make trouble if he thinks he can get away with it.
Back to top Go down
KareBear
Teenager
Teenager
KareBear

Female Join date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 am

For Aevyn, his first few trips to the dog park were actually just around the border - he could still meet the dogs through the fence, but it wasn't any actual contact. Once he got used to that - and after all his shots - he was comfortable enough to just run right in and enjoy.

I think especially since you're taking her young, you should be fine. Most older dogs will tolerate her behavior pretty well because of her age, and they'll let her know when shes out of line. And you want them to (without getting too rough, of course) because this is when she'll learn her manners.

Smile Have fun, dont stress too much - experiences with my dog park have been very nice ones, even when Aevyn or someone elses dog goes out of line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?    park - Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about taking our first trip to a dog park...any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1