It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Update on Dakota

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Update on Dakota - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Oh no Mindy, I'm so sorry to hear that. Poor Dakota Sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Since he is doing so good on Deramaxx, the shot and pills the vet started him on last week, we will continute that. He will stay on the joint suppliments. I need to make sure he walks everyday but not let him overdue it. I will have to keep his weight down which is harder since the seizure medicine has really upped his appetite. He wants to eat all the time! I have already bought him an orthopedic bed to help keep pressure off of his joints but I need to buy another one so he has one in my room and one in the living room. I'm gonna have my brother build a ramp to go over the steps at my back door so he won't have to worry about going up steps anymore. I would also like to look into water therapy, but I have no idea if there is a service like this for dogs where I am at. I will have to do some research. I have to take him back to the vet next month so they can test to make sure the Deramaxx is not messing up his liver. I will ask him about the acupunture then as well. I was pretty much devestated when he was talking to me today about his xrays so I didn't think to ask. I don't know if acupunture will work for this type of problem. I really thought I was going to get good news today.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 1:38 am

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Dakota's diagnosis. Once you feel up to it, this blog that I follow has a husky with the same issue - who's seen great results with the hydrotherapy and various other exercises like jogging with her on the bike. Good luck and fingers crossed! Wild Dingo Hip Dysplasia posts
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 3:12 pm

I think the hydrotherapy will do wonders for getting him exercise while keeping the excess pressure off his joints. I'd definitely look into that if you can. Our chi, Glory, has luxating patella in both her knees so it would be really beneficial to her to keep her lean (weight off those joints) and for her to get hydrotherapy. I'd be interested to know if acupuncture would help him too. Keep us updated!

But I'm thinking it's good news if it's simply a bad hips that's the biggest problem as that's not going to really affect his life span, right?

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 am

So sorry to hear about Dakota. Glad the deramaxx is helping. My friends dog did well on deramaxx for a few years even after a similar diagnosis. Metacam is another pain med that you could look into if you ever feel the deramaxx isn't working anymore. You and Dakota will be in my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 3:08 pm

We may have another option. I'm not going to get my hopes up becuase there are alot of obstacles if we go this route.... if he is even a candidate, money is an issue, aftercare and so on. There is a possibility that they can do surgery and go in and cut the femur ball. Some dogs do well, some don't. It's riskier with a larger dog, which Dakota is. I have alot to look into for this. All I have been told so far is that it's exensive so I need to know how expensive. After care can take up to three months. Not sure how I can juggle Willow with a bed ridden dog and work full time on top of that. I don't want to do it if he still has to stay on these pain meds that mess with his liver and kidneys. I'm not sure what the point would be if so. And many other questions I need answered. Anyway...lots of research to do and I hate research.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 3:37 pm

My sister's Lab had that surgery done 3 or 4 years ago on both hips and has done great. If you'd like, I can put you in contact with her so she can fill you in on their experience. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Update on Dakota - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks! If I am able to proceed with this, I would love to talk to her. I will keep you all updated on what I find out and decide to do.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Vet appt went really well this morning. Vet was happy with Dakota's progress and wants to cut back on the pain meds. He wants me to cut back to every other day and if he does well on that then we will cut back again to every two days. I'm very happy to hear this. I hope Dakota will do well with the decrease.

I asked him for more info about the surgery and I wasn't very encouraged. If Dakota was in his younger years, I would go for it but with him turning 11 in 3 months, I just don't think surgery is a good option. It's riskier with the advanced age and recovery/aftercare will be harder on him. There's not even a guarantee that he will be able to go off pain meds becuase of the nerves in that area could still cause him pain. If he was younger, I think it would be worth it to try. I just don't want to put him through all this especially when he is responding so well to the Deramaxx. So that's where we are at for now....

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Glad to hear of the progress so far. I agree, at Dakota's age any surgery is risky business. I'd keep doing what you're doing since it seems to be helping.

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you Valerie! He got tons of attention at the vet office today. One of the ladies was shocked when she heard he was turning 11. She thought he was much younger. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Its not so much the surgery they go through but the being under anesthesia that worries the vets most of the time. The older they get the more risk involved. (just like people)
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm so glad that your baby is doing better!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Its not so much the surgery they go through but the being under anesthesia that worries the vets most of the time. The older they get the more risk involved. (just like people)

Not just the anesthesia but also recovery too, older dogs just don't recover as quickly or as well as younger dogs do even after surgery.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 am

I hope the dog will be fine. I hate it when dogs get sick. Sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 pm

I've reduced Dakota's pain meds to every three days now, going on three weeks, and he is still doing wonderfully! I am so happy! I hate that he is taking all this medicine. I have also reduced his seizure meds to one a day to see if it still keeps his seizures at bay...been doing that for 3 weeks as well and so far so good. I just don't want all these meds messing with his liver so I really hope we can stay on reduced meds. He's been fiesty since the cold weather. My son even commented how the tables have turned and now Dakota is winning against Willow. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 pm

That's great to hear Mindy! I'm so glad he's doing well and I hope he continues to do so well.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Update on Dakota - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Yay Dakota! That's great news Mindy!!!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 11:24 pm

That's awesome news! Glad to hear that he is still doing so well.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 am

Very Happy !! YAY for Dakota!! Moms always instinctively know what's best Wink
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks everyone! I am so happy he is going in the right direction! I want him around for many more years!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:46 pm

great to hear the reduced meds is working Smile it does suck to have to take all that stuff, even more when its not good for him. keep us posted and lets see some new pics Smile

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:11 pm

jbealer wrote:
great to hear the reduced meds is working Smile it does suck to have to take all that stuff, even more when its not good for him. keep us posted and lets see some new pics Smile

YES! WE WANT PICS NOWWWWWW!!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 2:29 pm

These are the kinds of updates we love! Very Happy This thread always makes me nervous to read when I get an email notification. We all worry so much about each others dogs!

I hope you get continued great results on the reduced meds, I feel the same way as you do about the possible damage that they can cause. Here's hoping for continued success!

Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 5:27 pm

That's great news!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update on Dakota   Update on Dakota - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Update on Dakota

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next