It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Make up skipped meals?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

Make up skipped meals? Empty
PostSubject: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:37 pm

So Appa has started turning his nose at food in the morning, should I give him his breakfast with his lunch or if he skips just feed him less that day?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi! How much does he eat per day?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm not the one to answer this. I have always done a modified type of free feeding where I don't put all the daily food out at once but keep adding the next cup to the last cup if it's still sitting there. So that at the end of the day ALL the daily allowance of food might be in the bowl if the dog has ignored it all day.

If you feed and remove the bowl, I might do the same thing I do now.... I don't know....

Hopefully you will get some better advice!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:46 pm

i do not double it. he gets what he did not eat in the morning. since its still in the bowl. don't want to over feed and it teaches him if he skips then he is hungry the next day and eats boths meals they will learn. its also a way for them to regulate their own food so i would just feed the normal portion or what is left in the bowl + some to = a normal meal.

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 pm

I feed him TOTW 1 cup 3x a day. He's 7 months and 59 lbs. (Mal).
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
I feed him TOTW 1 cup 3x a day. He's 7 months and 59 lbs. (Mal).

3 cups total? Any additional treats?

Looks like TOTW has an average of 350 calories/cup - versus our 2 1/2 cups (plus about 50-100 extra calories in treats/day) we feed our huskies at around 420 calories/cup (Nature's Variety Prairie) - so sounds about right...

Is he less active in this heat? Ours are less hungry when it's hot out.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:49 pm

Riley, if he is just putting his nose up at breakfast but eating dinner he will be fine with the skipped meal. Jack will do this all summer long, a day or 2 missing breakfast then he is right back to eating both meals for a week or so. like i said earlier huskies/ Mals Wink are very good about adjusting their food based on actively and will eat when hungry, or you get girls like sierra and mya that will eat all day long if you let them then they have to go on a diet! if your worried then maybe feed him some of his fav. treat in the morning before you need to go to work, you don't want him thinking that if he skips a meal he gets a treat so you need to space it out and make the treat about something other then missing a meal. this is normal summer time issues Smile

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Sounds good. Thanks! It confirms what I was thinking anyway.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't do meal "make ups". If any of my dogs don't eat what they are given at a specific feeding time within 20 minutes I pick it up and put it away. When the next feeding time rolls around they get their normal portions for that next feeding time.

Warmer summer weather does affect their appetites as has been mentioned. Before he had competition for food (i.e. before we adopted our chihuahuas) our sibe used to regularly skip meals, moreso in the warmer summer months than other times of the year. He used to be very good at self regulating. Once we added competition that went right out the window, these dogs are like siblings I tell you. Always gotta make sure one doesn't get more than the other. Rolling Eyes

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:35 pm

jbealer wrote:
i do not double it. he gets what he did not eat in the morning. since its still in the bowl. don't want to over feed and it teaches him if he skips then he is hungry the next day and eats boths meals they will learn. its also a way for them to regulate their own food so i would just feed the normal portion or what is left in the bowl + some to = a normal meal.

This is what I do as well. Willow has really cut back on her meals since the heat came on. She skips a meal atleast once a day but it's not always the morning. I'm sure Dakota would be the same but his meds have upped his appetite so I really have to watch his portion control.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Same dish of food until it is eaten. Adobo with the summer heat is barely eating 1 1/2 cups of TOTW per day. If Appa skips a meal or two no big deal.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Once we added competition that went right out the window, these dogs are like siblings I tell you. Always gotta make sure one doesn't get more than the other. Rolling Eyes

You're so right Val! Mya used to sit and guard her food before we got Kody. Wouldn't eat it, but wouldn't let me pick it up either. Now, she circles in the kitchen with Kody when it's feeding time and licks her plate like she's never eaten before...LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make up skipped meals?   Make up skipped meals? Empty

Back to top Go down

Make up skipped meals?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1