It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello From SC!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
daveanderson
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-07-28

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Hey everyone, just found the boards today out of curiosity. Not a new owner yet but seriously considering adopting. Unfortunately there was a pupply mill found close to us and they are transporting most of the sibe's down here for adoption. One in particular has caught our attention, a 5month old female, which I'm going to meet tonight. Just to give you a little background, our 'pack' is a 15month old toddler, a baby due in December '11, 8 year old chihuahu, and a 2 year old chihuahua. Our 3yr old lab passed away in Jan 11, and we've been toying with the idea of getting a new dog but just haven't had the motivation until now. I'm not in any way familiar with the husky breed but my wife actually grew up with 3 or 4 of them in the house at any given time and she feels pretty comfortable with the idea of getting one. I've been doing a ton of research, which I'm sure can only take me so far, but I'm excited about the possibility of owning. Any suggestions would be helpful if you have something to offer. Anyone ever adopted a Husky from bad conditions like a puppy mill? Can you offer any insight as to what I can expect from a 5 month old husky, who I'm told gets a long great with other dogs but doesn't really have much training? Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Welcome, Dave! Kudos to you for adopting and thank you for doing your research.

Huskies, as you probably know, are extremely high energy. You'll need to be prepared to exercise her for an hour a day with lots of free play in a yard. A puppy is a good place to start since she'll have to be socialized with smaller dogs like chihuahuas.

I know Val has adopted her two chihuahuas from a puppy mill and they definitely have their fair share of health problems, but are otherwise happy and good dogs. She might have more to add.

As for training advice: read around the forum, but the biggest thing is just consistency. Give her clear rules and boundaries. Don't slack on them at all for the first few months and she'll get it.

Hello From SC! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Welcome Dave and congrats on your little one due in December! Kudos to you for considering adopting as well! I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss, rest in peace little one.

Within our family we have 3 puppy mill rescues, my husband and I have 2 and my in laws have one. Each case is totally different as far as the issues we've had to deal with resulting from their past. All of our rescues have been adults but the fact that you'd be starting out with a puppy gives you an advantage as you will be able to "reset" any major issues easier than those that might be hardwired into an older dog. I really think you'll be pretty much getting off to a good start like most non-puppy mill dogs would simply because of the pups young age.

My biggest concern would be health issues taking on a puppy mill dog, but I don't say that to discourage you at all. They need homes and it takes a special person to care for them knowing that they may have a rocky road ahead of them both behaviorally and medically. But at the same time a puppy mill dog may not have any health problems either, it's luck of the draw really. Both of my puppy mill rescues came with their fair share of health problems which, I'll be completely honest, have been very costly in terms of vet bills. My in-laws' puppy mill rescue, while her structure is completely wrong, she is actually pretty healthy considering where she came from...but she is so psychologically damaged that it is taking YEARS to undo all the damage that was done in the mill (she was rescued from the puppy mill at 8 or 9 yrs old), it is extremely sad to see how affected she was and the fact that after 2 yrs of love and affection in a loving home she has hardly made any progress whatsoever. Even my own two mill rescues have to live with their health problems, ongoing support, behavioral and socialization issues. But again, I doubt you will have much to worry about besides possible health issues.

Anyway, welcome again! Whereabouts in SC are you?

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Welcome! We're new to the boards too, but have taken care of/owned huskies for the past couple of years now.

Congrats on the little one and good for you for considering a rescue! Huskies are such wonderful family dogs!

If you and your wife are both up to the challenge of training a high energy, rambunctious husky from scratch during what must be a very busy and exciting time in your life - the affection and companionship of a husky are worth all the hard work, patience and repetitive training. It sounds like your in-laws may also be a great resource to help you teach the new pup house, dog and people manners since they've had so many!

Definitely share pics if the husky does join the family!
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 6:54 pm

I was going to ask where in SC also. It looks like Valerie has the low country and I'm in the CSRA.

My mom had a golden that was a rescue from a mill. She was the perfect case of possible health problems. We called her our special needs pup. It was almost like she had autistic tendencies. She was very loving. We had to teacher how to play. She loved the ocean (took her to Myrtle Beach). She had more love in the last year of her life then she did the first 3.
Back to top Go down
daveanderson
Newborn
Newborn

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 1:09 pm

We're from the lowcountry as well! Thanks everyone who responded, we actually just went and looked at her today. My expectations were very low going into this, knowing she'd spent 5 months in this puppy mill, however she's seems (to the naked eye) to be in good shape, maybe a tad bit underweight but overall looks good. My wife and daughter and I traveled to see her, we didn't bring the other dogs for fear of overwhelming her. She had the absolute sweetest demeanor, she's currently living with 7 other dogs, but she responded to us all in ways that I could not have imagined. She didn't shy away but she wasn't aggresive. She was incredibly curious and absolutely loved our 15 mo. old daughter. I was able to put her on a lead and she was a bit scared of attaching it at first but had no problem walking with me around the yard. I'd definitely leaning towards adoption, I'll post pictures when if we do. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 1:56 pm

That's great to hear it went well at the first meeting! What group is she with? Is she close by? I know there's one group that rescues huskies that takes them to the Petco in Mt Pleasant every Saturday, they are all so sweet it kills me to see them and go home empty handed. Of course that makes me come home and snuggle my boy and thank my lucky stars I have him. Smile

Goose Creek? No kidding! We live in Moncks Corner technically, but we're actually closer to Goose Creek than Moncks Corner proper. We're practically neighbors!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Sounds like it went well! I'm sure normal stuff that other dogs are used to at 5 months of age (walking, leashes, car rides, car sounds) would be things you'd have to work on with her. Sometimes food aggression can come with puppy mill dogs just because there is usually so many pups and it's such a chaotic atmosphere to live in.

I hope you decide to adopt her!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
daveanderson
Newborn
Newborn

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
That's great to hear it went well at the first meeting! What group is she with? Is she close by? I know there's one group that rescues huskies that takes them to the Petco in Mt Pleasant every Saturday, they are all so sweet it kills me to see them and go home empty handed. Of course that makes me come home and snuggle my boy and thank my lucky stars I have him. Smile

Goose Creek? No kidding! We live in Moncks Corner technically, but we're actually closer to Goose Creek than Moncks Corner proper. We're practically neighbors!

Its funny you say that! Our mailing address is for Moncks Corner but we might as well be Goose Creek. We live just past Cypress Gardens Rd, you never know, we might actually be neighbors LOL!

These individuals are not associated with any particular group however the woman used to be the pres. or vp of the Orangeburg SPCA. This is the 2nd time she has rescued huskies from this puppy mill. Apparently the offending breeder was able to keep two dogs from the last rescue of her property, and surprise, she wound up doing the same thing. It almost makes me sick.
Back to top Go down
daveanderson
Newborn
Newborn

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Sounds like it went well! I'm sure normal stuff that other dogs are used to at 5 months of age (walking, leashes, car rides, car sounds) would be things you'd have to work on with her. Sometimes food aggression can come with puppy mill dogs just because there is usually so many pups and it's such a chaotic atmosphere to live in.

I hope you decide to adopt her!

I hope so too! I haven't set my expectations too high, I'm mentally prepared to be ready for things like food aggression and walking on a leash. But... it takes patience...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 pm

That is so unfortunate. Hopefully they took away ALL of this persons dogs this time so we don't see another repeat of this incident. I hope you get this young girl but I know that whatever happens it'll be for the best.

daveanderson wrote:
Its funny you say that! Our mailing address is for Moncks Corner but we might as well be Goose Creek. We live just past Cypress Gardens Rd, you never know, we might actually be neighbors LOL!

Wow, how weird! We live right off of Cypress Gardens Rd! How weird would it be if you end up with 2 chihuahuas and a husky when I have 2 chihuahuas and a husky too?! Razz Gosh you guys are really close to us, I'm afraid to ask what community you live in. How far away from Spring Grove are you? Maybe if you adopt that husky girl we could set up a husky play date when the weather cools down...or a chihuahua play date if the husky doesn't go through. Wink

Keep us updated, I'm interested to know more about this husky girl and if she might fit in with your family.

Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:46 pm

I might be coming down that way for a long weekend in September. I'm looking into rentals on Folly Island. Any suggestions and how close are you guys?
Back to top Go down
daveanderson
Newborn
Newborn

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 pm

We've made a decision......were adopting! Going to pick her up tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be spending a bit more time on the boards here! Thanks everyone.

Valerie, that's sounds great! Any positive interaction we can get for our new little one would be great for her. Do you have a recommendation for a vet in the area? We've been goin gto Banfield in Petsmart but are looking to make a change. Stopped by Sangaree Animal Hospital the other day and they seem like they have their stuff together, they even offered a free health check up due to the conditions shes being brought from.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:52 pm

That's wonderful! Congrats! When do you get to bring her home?

So far the only vet I like in the area is Dr Jan Crowe at Creekside Veterinary Clinic off St James Ave in Goose Creek. She's the priciest vet I've ever been to, but so far she's the only halfway decent vet I've found. Great lady, takes her time with you, very knowledgeable, and doesn't believe in overvaccination.

Newborn
Newborn

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Should have her back home early afternoon tomorrow! I have a picture that was taken with a cell phone... Hello From SC! Husky_11
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

She's adorable! A red piebald, very rarely seen! I just googled and saw a bunch of cutes ones just like her! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 6:49 am

Aww, I've never seen a piebald in person before (only in pictures)! It will be a real treat to meet her if we get the chance.

Do you know her name? She's a real pretty girl, congrats again. We'll be wanting lots of pics when you get her home! How about some pics of the rest of your pack as well?

Hello From SC! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From SC!   Hello From SC! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello From SC!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-