It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My Dogs Are Coughing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

My Dogs Are Coughing Empty
PostSubject: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 9:57 am

Well, only two so far. Coco started when we got home from hiking. I let her in the door and in the frenzy she started hacking a nasty dry cough that lasted about two minutes. She had bouts for the next 18 hours after that and then it was gone, hasn't happened since. Then a little after lunch time yesterday Limbaugh started dry hacking, his ears felt warmer than normal and his eyes were bloodshot. I got about 112 minutes of sleep last night waking up every time he had a fit. The coughing fits are making him burp and he's so confused about it. Ridik had a cough once at about 3:30am but he seems normal and his was typical of his morning sneeze attack. Sioux and Tambi seem immune so far.

No run. No visitors.

So in an hour I get to call and find out when we're going in.

Do I have to clean everything of theirs now??? Wish they would clean their room.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 am

I don't think you do, but then again, because I take mine to daycare, mine are always vaccinated against kennel cough. Hailey had it when we first got her. She got a bout of antibiotics and was fine. Koda never showed a symptom, but again, he had his vaccine.

If it were me.. and I weren't getting vaccines (because I wouldn't want to pay for the others to get shots), I would just take the lysol disinfectant spray and spray everything down and then put it away until the dogs are on meds for 24-48 hours. Then bring it back (after that time, they should no longer be contagious). Just my $.02... sorry to hear it though, Eddy Sad

My Dogs Are Coughing Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:31 am

Limbaugh is fresh on all vaccines being a pup. But the others I've only been vaccinating every other year because I thought it was excessive. Hopefully it's not something super expensive. Tambi has teeth cleaning/extraction next week and that is mighty expensive.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:36 am

We've never done any special cleaning when our dogs have had kennel cough. My mother in law doesn't either and it's never spread from dog to dog. Our dogs are not vaccinated for it and even when they've been exposed to other dogs who do have it they haven't picked it up. Dakota had KC when we adopted him and he got over it in about a week with no medication or special care or special cleaning of the house. He's never had it since.

My mother in law's dog got KC when they stopped at a rest area while traveling. All 6 of our dogs stayed in a house together, no special cleaning or separation of the dogs, and none of the other 5 dogs were affected.

I don't bother with bordetella vaccines because the vaccine you get will protect against only one strain yet there are many strains out there that the dogs can be exposed to. Getting the vaccine doesn't guarantee your dogs won't get KC.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am

I think maybe they are suffering from lack of hiking the last 2 weeks Wink

Well if it is KC could they have picked it up from brother iin law or the other dogs u walk? Wondering if maybe they got into something while we were hiking sat? Or from the heat...

Keep us posted, hope it was just a one day thing

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:40 am

I say go for the vaccine. I had cats who kept going back and forth with KC and then we got Delilah and she got it too! and might i add that she was a very healthy pup. We gave them all a round of antibiotics (Zithromax, I wasn't screwing around. I wanted this stuff gone). And within 3 days they were back to normal. After that all three got the bordatella vaccine.

They were all rescues and it is so common in shelters. I like to take Delilah everywhere so I got her vaccinated. You never know what is lurking in Petco or the dog park.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 am

I consider the vaccine to be like a flu shot. If I feel I'm at risk of being exposed, I'll get a flu shot, knowing full-well that it doesn't make a difference if it's not the right strand. It's just a nice precaution.

I don't mind vaccines so long as I don't do them ALL at once.

My Dogs Are Coughing Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

Agreed Tori. I don't prefer to do them all at once. I don't get the lyme vaccine. I don't feel it necessary. I live in an apartment.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
harrise
The Gentleman

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:29 am

I feel better now. Vet was out the end of last week so tomorrow at 8:00am is our time. She didn't seem too worried since Coco kicked it so fast and Supper is the only other one coughing. I always go to level 8 freak out when any of them have any sort of anomaly. Still sucks for the other three that walk with us. They're going to be a handful without their walk. Especially the Kosmonaut.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 pm

harrise wrote:
I always go to level 8 freak out when any of them have any sort of anomaly.
\

That makes 2 of us!!!!
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Seems more like a throat irritation rather then lung bug of some sort if its clearing up already. Tell the dogs to quit smoking joints, use a water pipe it greatly reduces the harshness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Dogs Are Coughing   My Dogs Are Coughing Empty

Back to top Go down

My Dogs Are Coughing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1