It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Strange curiosity...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

Female Join date : 2011-08-06

Strange curiosity... Empty
PostSubject: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:31 pm

Out of sheer curiosity, how big are your huskies? Killian is a trim 80lbs
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Mya, my 5yr old female, weighs 57lbs now. She used to be 55lbs and when she got spayed gained almost 20lbs! affraid After putting her on a "diet" she's dropped the weight. Thank goodness! Took about 1 year though!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:36 pm

My Dakota is a 6 yr old male, 22" tall at the withers and 52 lbs. Well, he'll be 6 next month so I'm counting him as 6 yrs old.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Koda: 3.5 years old male, 58.5 lbs, 23.5" at the withers
Hailey: ~3.5 yr old female, 45 lbs, 21" at the withers

Strange curiosity... Hailey10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Koda is 23.5" and 60lbs- he is 3 years, 4 months.
Rogue is 12 weeks and is 10.8lbs.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 pm

Dakota is about 40 lbs and is 2.5 years old. Not sure of her height.
Demon is about 60 lbs and is 2.5 years old. Not sure of his height.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:00 pm

last vet check
Sierra is 8yr and 50-52lbs
Jack is 3ish and is 56lbs.

80lbs sounds high unless she is a tall long girl

Last edited by jbealer on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:05 pm

She is 25 inches at the shoulder and very long! You can feel her ribs.
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm

She is 48 inches bum to nose!
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Oh! Correction she is 78.6 hehe
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Ambrose wrote:
She is 25 inches at the shoulder and very long! You can feel her ribs.
25" at the shoulder is VERY high for a female, so she is definitely above breed standard for a female sibe.

80 lbs (even 78.6 lbs) could be right, but still sounds big even at the height difference. Do you have pictures of her from the side (standing) and looking down on her hips?

Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I do not currently I shall work on it. Upon further bodily probing, I feel she could stand to loose 5-10.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Ambrose wrote:
I do not currently I shall work on it. Upon further bodily probing, I feel she could stand to loose 5-10.
We've all been there Smile Don't worry! Hailey fluctuates in weight like crazy since her spay. She gained like 10 lbs and we go back and forth on her a lot. Some dogs are just harder to maintain is all Smile

Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Sounds about right for a tall/large Husky. Chili is a bit taller and about the same length - he was at 79 lbs 2 month ago and now lost weight and is at 74 lbs. He's turning 5 next week. Chili was a stray so I don't know what type of breeder he came from, but he's definitely waaay over standard.

Frosti is smaller - 23"-ish at the withers - 49 lbs - but looks like she'll start filling out after she turns 2 (she's 1 1/2). Her waist is super tiny!
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes I think that once she gets used to exercising she will be ok. Let us hope anyways -also good food should help but if she goes much lower than 70 I think she would be too thin. I'm wondering if she's mixed with mal or just big...how did you figure out your dogs age? There seems to be some debate about her age. I think most likely she is 6, but who really knows!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

can't really figure out age... some vets go by build up on teeth but that's still a guess. its easier to figure out with puppies then adults.
sierra came with papers when adopted, jack was a guess with in a 6month span since no paper work was left when adopted.
just love them every day like it was the last because you just never know

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Nikolai is ~2-3 and around 48 pounds. He's a little guy and still on the lean side.
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 pm

Aw it makes me sad to think she's going somewhere. I wish dogs were like parrots and lived 45+ years!
Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:14 pm

There is a new ocular method in determining dog age; however, you must go see a canine opthamologist. It is supposed to be very accurate Smile Comparing this to a dog aged using teeth wear down would be interesting!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Ambrose wrote:
There is a new ocular method in determining dog age; however, you must go see a canine opthamologist. It is supposed to be very accurate Smile Comparing this to a dog aged using teeth wear down would be interesting!

Oooh! I'd love to do that! Chili already needs to go to the opthamologist since the day care saw some reason to believe that his eyesight on his left side is worse... We have no idea how old he really is, just the guess from the rescue. He acts much older than 5, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange curiosity...   Strange curiosity... Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange curiosity...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1