It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

A Husky's Own Backyard?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

Male Join date : 2011-08-09

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Empty
PostSubject: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm brand new to this forum. I ran across it while looking for info on huskies because I plan on getting one in the near future. One thing I've learned from you guys is preparation. One of the first things I'm trying to do is put up a fence. I have about an acre of land to work with. I want this to be a place for her to run around and play (while supervised Very Happy ). Based on your experience, what are your ideas from the type of fence so she doesn't get out to some things I can do to the backyard to make it hers so to speak?

Also, you'll probably be seeing more of me in the future because I have a lot of questions. Wink
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:04 pm

6ft + wood fence! or those nice new composite fences. NO chain link or bars. needs to be solid.

congrats on your future husky and thanks for learning B4 buying or adopting.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:29 pm

If you do a wood fence, try to have the middle support board on the outside so your future husky can't use it as a step to launch itself over the fence. Or you can also check on hotwiring the top and bottom...

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 5:52 pm

If we could do it all over again i'd do the same 6ft. wood shadowbox fencing that we have now:

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Shadowbox-06

but i'd put chicken wire underneath to prevent a dig out because it often does leave an opening on the bottom and i've had a foster dog tunnel out of our yard.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:42 pm

This has been helpful. Thanks everyone. The tunneling and climbing is what I'm trying to prevent. Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Are you fencing the whole 1 acre? It gets pretty pricey...

We have a 6 ft+ fence, but we also have an escape artist. Dog #1 never even tried to escape. Dog #2 attempted to escape within 15 min of getting home. Sad Jumped 5 1/2 ft, dog #1 and hubby pulled her back down. Added homemade coyote rollers placed high on the fence a day later. She jumped 6 ft and escaped (hubby had to run a few blocks at top speed until she got distracted by a cat).

We now have hotwire on top of the fence for the entire perimeter, and along the middle/bottom where there isn't cinder block on the bottom. It worked so far, but also haven't left her there unattended for more than 15 min. Coworker's dad as hotwire and it's contained his dog for 2 years so far...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm

I have a combo of 6 ft wood privacy fencing and also 6 ft black aluminum fencing. If it were not for price and HOA restrictions I would prefer to have my whole yard fenced with the 6 ft aluminum. It looks fantastic and there isn't really anything for them to get footing on so they can't really "climb" out.

Here's a couple pics of what I have...

You can see where the 6' wood privacy runs into the 6' black aluminum:
A Husky's Own Backyard?  IMG_1520

This one shows the 6' black aluminum a little better.
A Husky's Own Backyard?  IMG_1531

I would also highly recommend putting in a sandbox (or dirt box...doesn't matter) in the yard well away from the fence. Huskies love to dig, so giving your future sibe a designated place to unleash his/her digging angst on a daily basis will help tremendously with saving your yard and it can help curb digging at the fence line. Although I would always keep a husky supervised in the yard just to be sure they don't dig out. One of the best things I ever did for my sibe was put a sandbox in the yard for him! He digs in it every day and it's an additional exercise for him to help tire him out too. Wink

A Husky's Own Backyard?  IMG_0179

Oh and by the way, welcome and kudos to you for doing your research well in advance! What part of Jax are located? I'm originally from Jax, spent most of my years just outside of the Orange Park city limits but for all intents and purposes I would tell people I lived in OP just to make it easier.

Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 pm

We fenced our previous house with 6 ft. shadowbox fencing, and had chicken wire buried about a foot and a half down. We were very happy with it, and never had a escape the entire time we lived there.
Back to top Go down
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

Oh and by the way, welcome and kudos to you for doing your research well in advance! What part of Jax are located? I'm originally from Jax, spent most of my years just outside of the Orange Park city limits but for all intents and purposes I would tell people I lived in OP just to make it easier.

Thank you. I almost got a husky from a rescue center but someone beat me to her. Hopefully they were more prepared than I was at the time. I just fell in love with those beautiful eyes and that was it. I melted. It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized it would have been a disaster. Sad Now I'm trying to read up as much as possible and learn whatever I can. I've lived on the westside most of my life near once was Cecil field.
Back to top Go down
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Are you fencing the whole 1 acre? It gets pretty pricey...

We have a 6 ft+ fence, but we also have an escape artist. Dog #1 never even tried to escape. Dog #2 attempted to escape within 15 min of getting home. Sad Jumped 5 1/2 ft, dog #1 and hubby pulled her back down.

I do indeed. Price isn't really an issue. I just want the best possible setup for her safety and so she can enjoy herself. And from everything I have read so far I'll be out in the backyard with her watching as close as possible. Razz
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 9:42 pm

This is where I got my fencing from with the anti digging bars.

http://www.k9kennelstore.com/

Its 6ft high and with the bars Adobo & Biko haven't escaped once since I put it up I think last Oct. 2010. I've been VERY satisfied and compared to installed 6' chain link fencing its a wee bit lower in cost.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 1:09 am

Here4thePics wrote:

Its 6ft high and with the bars Adobo & Biko haven't escaped once since I put it up I think last Oct. 2010. I've been VERY satisfied and compared to installed 6' chain link fencing its a wee bit lower in cost.

You're very lucky! That would be a jungle gym for our tiny husky! Laughing

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Photo%2525202%25252811%252529
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

maheo30 wrote:
Thank you. I almost got a husky from a rescue center but someone beat me to her. Hopefully they were more prepared than I was at the time. I just fell in love with those beautiful eyes and that was it. I melted. It wasn't until I found this forum that I realized it would have been a disaster. Sad Now I'm trying to read up as much as possible and learn whatever I can. I've lived on the westside most of my life near once was Cecil field.

Sounds like it was for the best, the right husky will come along at the right time.

I lived on the Westside for a 12 yrs before moving out to Orange Park so I'm very familiar with the area. We lived off of Timuquana Rd. My dad still lives not too far from the newer Cecil Field location (by/off Brennan Field?) I think. Since my Dad and sister still live in Jax we do visit there frequently.

Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

Female Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:43 am

I comiserate with you! I was always the second choice for adopting so many dogs even though I had a house and privacy fence and much experience Sad but if I had gotten those other dogs I wouldn't have Killie who is quite the catch - came housebroken and equipped with intermediate obedience!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Don't worry, you'll find a good husky when the time is right. There are a bunch of good husky rescues in FL. I'm in central FL (used to attend UNF), so I'll keep a look out at the shelters for you. Oh and as for the rescues there's Siberian Husky rescue of Florida, Siberian husky rescue of South FL, and Husky Haven of FL (very new rescue). I'm sure there are others more north of where I'm at though.

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:52 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Here4thePics wrote:

You're very lucky! That would be a jungle gym for our tiny husky! Laughing

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Photo%2525202%25252811%252529

That is exactly what I'm trying to prevent. LOLOL. What a pic. Shocked I guess there is only so much one can do.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 am

Yeah, it really depends on the husky you get. A lot of them are escape artists, but some aren't. I doubt you could bait my Elara into jumping a fence. She's just too lazy. lol. But I do worry about Siku. We only have a 4ft chain link and I know she could go over it easily if she wanted to.

A Husky's Own Backyard?  Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 am

One of my favorite escapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd3D7JEDqmo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 am

I was looking for that video!
Glad you posted it! It's one of my fave escapes too!

Newborn
Newborn
Loves2Share

Female Join date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am

Please let us know what you end up doing!! Very Happy Also, I LOVE the idea of the sand box, especially keeping it AWAY from the fence so they don't make the connection. Smile We currently live in an apartment, and I was trying to convince my husband that we should get a tarp and a sandbox for out on the balcony. Wink The problem would be getting the sand (or water) OUT of the box... Wink

Anyway, best of luck!! We found Niko using Petfinder.com, but I'm guessing you are using http://www.siberrescue.com/ or http://www.sibrescue.com/ too?
(I really liked the last lines on http://www.sibrescue.com/youwant.html : "If you have read this far, honestly feel that you qualify on all counts, and are still determined to own a Siberian, then we take great pleasure in welcoming you to the fold. Join the rest of us in the smug complacency of knowing that we own the most beautiful, the smartest, the most nearly ideal dog in the world . . . the SIBERIAN HUSKY!") http://www.siberianrescue.com/southeast.htm looks pretty good too ;)http://www.siberianrescue.com/southeast.htmpetfinder.com
Back to top Go down
maheo30
Newborn
Newborn
maheo30

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 4:16 pm

That video is priceless. Scary at the same time.

@Loves2Share: Thanks for the links. I'll check into it. I am seriously considering adopting from a rescue. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loves2Share
Newborn
Newborn
Loves2Share

Female Join date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:06 pm

How far are you from Gaffney, SC? Niko's old foster parents texted me last night saying they got another husky yesterday! ~2 years old, well trained, super friendly, just wants love & loves to play- he was given up by his last owner for "being too friendly"!!!! 2 brown eyes. He hasn't even posted him on petfinder yet... Wink I have the pictures he texted me if you want to see him. Smile
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:37 pm

Husky's are great! I can not under any circumstance leave mine unattended in the backyard AT ALL. We justhave a 5 foot chain link, and he is always looking for new places to push under the fence. Always keep your eyes open!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:47 pm

i<3neo wrote:
Husky's are great! I can not under any circumstance leave mine unattended in the backyard AT ALL. We justhave a 5 foot chain link, and he is always looking for new places to push under the fence. Always keep your eyes open!

Same here! Not even for 10 seconds!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I'm use to concrete walls (we had a house in Scottsdale, AZ and it was about 7.5ft tall and concrete) so when we get a new kind of fencing when we get a house in CO, it's going to be odd.. I would NEVER use chain link though, I'm OK with wood as long as it's in the ground. But Koda is not a jumper or a digger so I think I will be OK, and hopefully Rogue is an angel too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Husky's Own Backyard?    A Husky's Own Backyard?  Empty

Back to top Go down

A Husky's Own Backyard?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next