It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! Empty
PostSubject: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:23 am

I've noticed something about Koda round about 4months old or so. He has this habit of trying to destroy anything soft and plushee like, no matter what it is. The worst case was when I had gone out to purchase a dog bed for him to alternate between the one he had since he was a pup. More than likely that VERY same night, he ripped a hole in one of the sides of the bed, and pulled out the stuffing (I guess cotton inside a pretty durable sac). I've recently purchased this HUGE fluffy dog bed for him in the living room and he CONSTANTLY goes after the edges. When I try to correct him, he redirects that energy to my hand after being told off (sassy chump -___-) or starts jumping. When he jumps, I say "off!" and may back up but he thinks it's a game. Any suggestions? We also have suede couches in the apartment and I am NOT going to be paying for damages, so he & I have got to come up with a system. When he starts with his little attitude, I grab him by the collar and put him in the bathroom for a few minutes till he settles down. Are there any other methods or changes I need to make to mine for better results?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:18 am

Isolating him to the bathroom is a great idea. I would keep up with that.

And welcome to owning a husky Smile Soft toys don't last more than a few minutes in this house. You just need to keep him busy with things he is allowed to chew and destroy and keep him exercised so that he doesn't have the time or energy to think about it Smile

Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

Plush toys = 3min to destruction! Ours knows the diff. To a toy and the sofa and dog beds, not so much for blankets... we got them older so not sure how they were trained out of it. Maybe stop with the plush toys and try rope or kongs. Maybe that will stop him thinking everyting stuffed is a toy? Keep up the training as well

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

I think a good portion of huskies find stuffed, fluffy beds unnecessary and like to destuff them. Koda had one dog bed when he was a pup, destroyed it, and I never got him one again until he was about 2 years old- and he never used it due to getting hot on it. I have a kuranda bed for him now and he loves that and so does Rogue. Smile He use to tear most plush toys to smithereens up until about 2 years old too so for the longest time I tried to refrain from wasting money on cheap plush toys(thankfully now he usually just throws them around and then puts them all in the pile, he will sometimes squeak a toy to death and then get mad it stopped squeaking and pull the squeaker out, but it's a "clean" death, lol). I wouldn't waste money on dog beds and would get durable rubber toys (and they also have those super tough "plush" toys that are made of really good material).

And I agree with Tori, keep him busy and get him tired and you shouldn't have to worry about the couch being torn up. A destructive husky is almost always the result of a understimulated dog, so if he isn't given the opportunity to think about the couch, then you should be gold! Koda never cared for couches, thank god, but he also had 4929429359 different things that were HIS that he would go in the backyard and traumatize Razz
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 am

I have 100% given up on plush toys! All they get are really though toys (Kongs, kong wubbas, anything like that). The only time they get a plush toy is for a special occasion (Christmas or birthdays) because I know that they truly enjoy ripping them apart to get the squeaker. Takes them a whole 5min..lol.

As far as the beds go. Yep, gave up on those also! Well, sorta. There's one in my room that has somehow survived and there's another one in the living room that Kody just recently starting de-stuffing. When i say that I've bought more than 10 beds since Mya was a puppy I'm not even kidding. I'm done with buying beds! LOL
Back to top Go down
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:43 am

Alrighty thanks for the advice! I don't know exactly how large this complex is but I do try to exercise him twice a day, and walk midday (too hot to run; i don't consider simply walking an exercise for a husky his age). I'd say we walk, run (around all 12+ buildings nonstop), and walk again-but is that enough? We clear that in about 30-40 minutes depending on his difficulty when walking. Some days he walks flawlessly, others we have problems & I'm yanking every which direction Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 am

When Koda was 7 months I probably walked Koda a total of 2 hours a day and we also played fetch, chase around the yard, and had a big exercise ball we would play around with him with for like 30 mins each day because it was amusing. I think it all depends on the dog though what tires them out so you can't really compare 'what is enough." I don't think couch destruction normally takes place when the owners are home though- from what I've seen with others, it's usually from leaving them out alone while gone.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Frosti did the same thing when we got her (she's 1 1/2 and still has that puppy stuff goin' on). We would catch her in the act and put a chewy bone in her mouth (nylabone type) to redirect her chewing. No reprimanding, no yelling no time out. Within a week, she got the point and hasn't chewed on anything since. It was recommended somewhere before we got the first dog, can't remember where.

When do husky pups teeth? Is that part of it? We got ours at 1 1/2 and 4 years old, so no idea. If teething, the local pet store said the Chilly Bone is good (wet it and then freeze it).

Some toys that work for us: rope toys from Target (only $1!!), the black heavy duty kongs, and the higher quality toys that go on sale at Home Goods (the ones from West Paw design, etc), Honestly, they don't need a ton - we have one rope chew, one green bone chew and one stuffie with squeaker and rope for Miss Frosti. Chili only has one stuffie, he doesn't chew on anything not edible. Very Happy

The bone we have is something like thishttp://www.wag.com/dog/p/Planet-Dog-Orbee-Tuff-Orbee-Bone-111585
Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! Pnt-020_1

BTW - wag.com has a sale - 20% off for your first order! code WAG20. I bought all the dog food for the next month, free shipping! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Eurith wrote:
(too hot to run; i don't consider simply walking an exercise for a husky his age). I'd say we walk, run (around all 12+ buildings nonstop), and walk again-but is that enough? We clear that in about 30-40 minutes depending on his difficulty when walking. Some days he walks flawlessly, others we have problems & I'm yanking every which direction Neutral

how old is he now? are you just taking him out once a day for 30-40 min? if so you might be good doing some shorter walks between the longer one. just getting out and sniffing and leash training will wear him out just as much as a long walk/run will. and if he is still under 1yr you want to maybe make sure you are not running to hard as he is still young and you don't want to mess with the still growing joints and bones.

Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:46 pm

He's 7 months & 2 days old (for exactness) & no I'm taking him out twice a day for extended walking purposes about 30+min each time for a total of 1hr exercise a day. He gets out midday or at odd intervals when i know he hasn't eliminated any wastes after drinking huge amounts of water or eating 1 3/4 cup of food each feeding (that's twice a day also, should I increase?). Should I change his regiment to walk 3x instead of walk 2x run 1x? and he gets to play in my room with the tennis ball & pink kong toy (no treaty goodness inside yet). He had this plushie squirrel squeak toy but it died yesterday Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Oh! Real tennis ball or fake dog one? The real ones are abrasive on their teeth! There were some posts about that a while ago on here...

Oh! Another good toy - they have empty stuffies that you put empty water bottles in. The doggies love the krinkly noise!
Back to top Go down
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Wooh! Thanks for that tip! Could you possibly point me to the direction of some good doggy ones? I know I had purchased some dog ones and he destroyed it day 1 and was about to start eating the rubber. Empty stuffies?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Ours used to destroy all soft toys within a few minutes or less. He also used to destroy soft dog beds when he was younger. We always corrected him for the dog bed destroying and he learned pretty quickly that his teeth were absolutely not to touch the dog bed. Soft toys we never gave up on, we just always stocked up on soft toys when they were on sale or on clearance. It wasn't until he got older, probably around 4 yrs of age I'd say, that he calmed down with the soft toys and no longer felt the need to destroy them immediately anymore. I think it was just an age thing and him growing out of it, when he was younger soft toys were lucky to survive 10 minutes. Now he's got soft toys that are still perfectly intact WITH functional squeakers that he's been playing with for 1-2 YEARS! In fact, I have a big pile of brand new soft squeaky toys that I haven't given to him because he has soooo many soft toys out already that are still in excellent condition after 2 yrs of use. I don't think I ever need to buy another soft toy for him again at the rate he's going! Smile

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Val, I wish!!! Mya is 5 1/2 years old and has not grown out of it!!! Give her a soft toy and she'll tear that thing up within 5min Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Does Mya always have soft toys available to her? I always had several soft toys out at all times for him so after a while (and by a while, I mean YEARS) he wasn't so hell bent on total annihilation immediately. When I made my age and growing out of it comment, I meant for my boy in particular btw, I didn't mean that would be the case for others. Wink Dakota's almost 6 yrs old and he does still destroy certain soft toys...I really don't know what determines which he will destroy and which he will keep intact.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Sabaka can rip a stuffed toy to shreads in record time, I'm sure. Nylabone makes a fabric-covered tennis ball made in the shape of an animal (we got a fish). Not only did he have the cover removed and the ball out in about 10 minutes, he proceeded to tear the ball to pieces! Within 30 minutes, nothing was left.

The dog bed is in the attic...

He loves my son's bean bag and, with correction and Bitter Apple spray, he now leaves it alone. He used to use it for a bed until the hot weather makes him too hot in it.

He has ripped a hole in my couch, but when I caught him (I was pouring morning coffee in the kitchen, he was 20 steps away in the living room) and removed the "fluff" from his mouth, I could see loose and falling out baby teeth. I think he was just nibbling to make his teeth feel better. That happened when he was about 4 months old.

He's now 9 months old and would only mess with furniture if we were not home (I hope...).
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Eurith wrote:
Wooh! Thanks for that tip! Could you possibly point me to the direction of some good doggy ones? I know I had purchased some dog ones and he destroyed it day 1 and was about to start eating the rubber. Empty stuffies?

Here's a "tennis ball" for dogs:
http://www.wag.com/dog/p/Planet-Dog-Orbee-Tuff-Sports-Ball-111651

I found our ball at Home Goods - it was a hard rubber ball, like Kong material. Make sure it's big enough that puppins can't swallow it.

Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! Pnt-044_med2a[img][/img][img][/img]

Here's a "stuffie" for water bottles:
http://www.wag.com/dog/p/Kyjen-Plush-Puppies-Water-Bottle-Buddies-102212

Also got our at Home Goods (TJ Maxx). Stuffies are stuffed animals - but since huskies love to "unstuff" them, this isa great alternative!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 pm

We have always used a regular tennis ball with our dogs. But ours are used for playing, chasing, etc outside and never for chewing on.

Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 12:38 am

Wooh! Pretty expensive lol. When my funds increase after books and such I'll try to invest in that. I'll have to see where the nearest TJ Maxx is, and try to find a Home Goods as well. Thanks for the tips you guys! I never really had a problem with him attacking furniture since he grew up in a relatively cool garage. I'm a pretty stern owner and prefer to set boundaries & limitations before giving freedoms or rewards outside of training. Basically just to see if I can trust him. He knows not to enter my roommates rooms when their doors are ajar, the fridge, or my closet. I'm working on the bed thing as well.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Does Mya always have soft toys available to her? I always had several soft toys out at all times for him so after a while (and by a while, I mean YEARS) he wasn't so hell bent on total annihilation immediately. When I made my age and growing out of it comment, I meant for my boy in particular btw, I didn't mean that would be the case for others. Wink Dakota's almost 6 yrs old and he does still destroy certain soft toys...I really don't know what determines which he will destroy and which he will keep intact.

Nope, Mya doesn't always have soft toys available anymore. First because she would just destroy them all even if she had 10 out (lol). Plus, now with Kody around they'll fight over them. Well, I should say that Mya will attack Kody over them. They only get tough toys in the yard now.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

These are the tennis balls that I get for them:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3201180

They love them because they have a squeaker and they're not too easy to destroy. I usually get a bag of 3 for like $7
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!   Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator! Empty

Back to top Go down

Soft ANYTHING-Annihilator!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1