It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How do you discipline your dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 1:47 pm

SabakaMom wrote:
Agreed. We even chase inside house. My youngest child named our chase game "Monster", since we make scary faces and monster noises and walk heavy (like Frankenstein) to get the fun going. If he's in the mood for it, it's great fun! If not, well, you know huskies, he'll look at us like we're crazy and go back to whatever annoying thing he was previously doing... How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 1625187496

haha!I wish we could play like that inside, but we have hardwood floors and he's already scratching off the finish lol He just gets so excited he can't contain himself and he peels out haha Razz "Monsters" is cute! If I did that Kale would either freak out and run like mad and start barking, or like you said, look at me like I'm crazy weird lol We play soccer too haha he's getting pretty good! except now the basketball were using has a rip and he can pick it up and play keep away. How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 1625187496 lol brat.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 am

MelissaI wrote:
I must be your "mom" in this household Dee..LOL!!! They semi listen to my husband, but me...nope....not so much. Well, Mya listens to him more than me. Kody listens to me more than Mya does...if that makes any sense. I'm seriously stepping it up with Kody as of a few days ago. He's absolutely INSANE! As I type he's in timeout in the bathroom for the 6th time in the past 3hrs Rolling Eyes I tell him "you're going in timeout" and he starts running away from me. I literally had to pick him up just and carry him to the bathroom.

How long would you guys say I should leave him in there? I've been leaving him for 5min because I'm afraid that he'll do some damage!

Melissa I really don´t think the time out thing will help on that no matter how long it will be. Kody is playing games with you. You gave him the chance to step up the ladder No from his perspective he is the Boss. He is terrorising you with biting and other stuff, that is really serious, you have to put him bakc in line and teach him respect.
If you like it or not I don´t think you cann solve this problems without some type of negative reinforcement
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:01 am

I disagree. Timeout most certainly works. Huskies love humans and the attention we give either positive or negative infprtunatley. Perhaps instaed of telling him he's going in timeout simply just grab him and put him in there. Don't give into the chase
You have to be sneaky if he likes to run like that!

I leave them in timeout for 5-10 minutes or if they're throwing a fit they sit in there until they calm down. While it may take another breed just a few timeouts a Husky will take more usually because they're so stubborn.

Sorry for any weird spelling. My android sucks!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 am

No matter what technique you ar eusing, it will never work when you feel bad about it, either you are serious about it or leave it. Huskies are very intelligent, they sense it when you ar enot serious about it.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I just saw this thread now you guys. The time out thing is most definitely working with Kody. He really only harasses me when I'm sitting at the table on the laptop. He already knows that when I stand up and stare at him that he's going in so he'll lay down or go harass Mya. Better her than me..LOL!

A few days into it he would leave me alone and go do it to my husband, but he cut that out quick he just locked him out of the room....
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:37 pm

My son has been getting Frankie to play with him in the house and sometimes Frankie gets a little rough and starts treating him like another dog. Rather than put Frankie in time out, my son ends the game, goes into his room, and shuts the door keeping the dogs out. Frankie lays down in front of his door waiting for him to come out and licks him when he does. So far this has been working for the two of them. I can't always be there to intervene and I want my son to be able to handle it. So far so good Wink
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 12:42 pm

MelissaI wrote:
I just saw this thread now you guys. The time out thing is most definitely working with Kody. He really only harasses me when I'm sitting at the table on the laptop. He already knows that when I stand up and stare at him that he's going in so he'll lay down or go harass Mya. Better her than me..LOL!

A few days into it he would leave me alone and go do it to my husband, but he cut that out quick he just locked him out of the room....

Ok that sounds good. IHow old is Kody now? Puberty and testing out limits phase can last a while with a Husky. With Anuibs I thought it will never end. He truns three years old on 24th October and still there are situations from time to time were he is just a knucklehead Very Happy. So keep your iron nerves for a lil while longe r:D
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 12:59 pm

You're not even kidding. It lasted with Mya until she was about 3 1/2 years old! She's not 5 1/2 and she's calmed down A LOT! Don't get me wrong she's still a husky and still has her little "things" that annoy the crap out of me..lol.

Kody turned 1year old last month so we have a long way to go with him!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Eurith
Puppy
Puppy
Eurith

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Nice to see this thread going strong still lol XD! Glad that you're seeing improvements Melissal! Koda's gotten a lot better in many aspects. His walks are easier now, I'm working on teaching him "heel" when he walks in front of me. On a good day he'll walk at the SAME pace as me with JUST his leash and collar-no check chain or prong collar =D (for a husky that's incredible lol!).

We're still having problems with this jumping thing. He LOVES girls, and those high-pitched playful voices they give invites jumping and they pet him by default. I don't always make the decision for him to visit, sometimes he pulls over or they come themselves. *Sigh* Work in progress still though. He tests his boundaries every now and then but most verbal corrections or a loud "Ah-Ah!" generally does the trick. He had his first REAL bath since he was 3 months lol! I had to pop him 4x and pin him to my chest in the tub during the beginning, but after some petting, soft-talking and commands (sit & stay) he realized he had to deal with it. That made my day yesterday lol!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am

Anubis has calmed down alot when I consider how things were one yer ago, but sometimes it scares me. A year ago I thought when will he calm down omg when Very Happy and now I sometimes wish he would be all about the bees in his butt thing again Very Happy. Sometimes he is too lazy to go for a walk. The only thing he always likes is guiding me.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 2:34 am

Eurith wrote:
I was yanking him left to right the whole time. He was so stubborn from his training that he wouldn't look me in the face nor pay me any attention while he obeyed my command. EVERYTHING else in the world was more interesting than his owner giving him commands.

lol! I've so had walks like this. Some days she's fantastic and some days my arm feels like it's going to fall off.

She's getting better at listening all the time, but when she has a crazy night all I have to do is loosely roll up a grocery store ad and boy does she listen! I'm not sure why she's so terrified of it, but I'm glad we finally found something that works when "NO!" isn't getting through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you discipline your dogs?   How do you discipline your dogs? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

How do you discipline your dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2