It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from Massachusetts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wintershuman
Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

Male Join date : 2011-09-09

Hello from Massachusetts Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi everyone -- So glad to find you all! We adopted our five month old Siberian Husky, Winter, just last week from a shelter. He and an older mixed-breed dog ran away from their owners (not sure how long the dogs were on the road) and were picked up by animal control. Previous owners chose not to pay fines for not having neutered nor vaccinated the dogs, so here we are. Winter is my first husky; my previous dog was a Great Pyrenees which I raised from a puppy. Pyrs are not easy, either. We had been looking for an older husky, but the shelter was desperate, and called me to look at this cutie pie, and the rest, shall we say, is history! I've done lots of reading and research, though after reading some of the cautionary tales on the site, I'm a bit, uh, worried.

Winter is sweet and friendly and seems to have bonded well with us already - we love him! But with five months of not having been trained nor housebroken, he is something of a handful. We think he was very much ignored before. He's very bitey at times, and he doesn't empty his bladder completely outside (though he goes each time we take him out!), so he has many, many accidents, soon after he comes back in. He had his first vet check with our vet yesterday, and he was amazingly good, and has a clean bill of health. Our vet doesn't suspect any bladder problems. I'm following the accepted housetraining techniques, as referenced on your site.

I'm lucky enough to live adjacent to conservation land with some great trails that aren't much used, and even less used by dogs, so I've been able to take Winter for some great walks without worrying too much about him coming in contact with other dogs before he's done with his puppy shots. That is, until the deluge (again!) of the last few days. Exercising him definitely is key.

So I'm here to learn whatever I can and make some connections. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your dogs.

Beth and Winter

2011Sep01_1794.jpg

(I'm using Chrome, so I don't think this image will work. Next time!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinemeadowpond.com
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Welcome!! Glad that Winter found his forever home with you! Can't wait to see some pictures of you guys!!

Kale and I say HELLOOO from California Cool
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Welcome!!
Looking forward to pics of Winter!
I'm sure you'll find tons of great info and support here!

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Welcome! Can't wait to see pics of Winter Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Welcome! thanks for taking Winter in and giving him a home. im wondering if having him fixed will stop the "marking" in the house, that and some super good pee cleaner Smile

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Welcome! Winter is a very handsome boy!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Hello from Massachusetts 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
wintershuman
Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Your dogs are all bee-yoo-tee-full! Jennifer, Winter was neutered at the shelter before I brought him home, and I'm using enzyme pee cleaner, like I've always used, so I think that's okay. I'm wondering if five months of peeing wherever and whenever he wanted is the culprit, and it's just going to take a lot of time. I'm just really puzzled by the not emptying his bladder completely. Of course, I should 'fess up and say that I've never had a male dog before, either. Oy. :-)

I also have to 'fess up that I'm not sure how to get a picture into my signature from my Mac. It seems to be a different process than the one I used for my avatar. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:05 pm

We have a mac as well, and I use the "host an image" function to upload pictures, then once they're uploaded copy the address for the BB code, and paste into the text box for your post. Good luck.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Hello from Massachusetts 550295 Welcome to both you and Winter! Can't wait to see some pics!
Back to top Go down
wintershuman
Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks so much, Meredith. I think maybe I've got it now. Sheesh. This is what happens when I'm puppy sleep-deprived. Smile
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 8:35 pm

aw he's adorable. welcome!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Welcome! He is such a handsome boy!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm

wintershuman wrote:
Winter was neutered at the shelter before I brought him home, and I'm using enzyme pee cleaner, like I've always used, so I think that's okay. I'm wondering if five months of peeing wherever and whenever he wanted is the culprit, and it's just going to take a lot of time. I'm just really puzzled by the not emptying his bladder completely. Of course, I should 'fess up and say that I've never had a male dog before, either. Oy. :-)

Welcome and congrats on adopting! As for Winter not emptying his bladder, I wonder if it is a male trait. I will be curious to see if anyone else speaks up about this cause my boy doesn't empty his bladder either. However, I had no issues with house training him but I also got him at 12 weeks of age. I'm sure once Winter realizes that inside is a no no, he will save his marking for outside. Dakota loves to save "some" for every tree and bush he sees on our walks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Kale doesn't completely empty his bladder but iv'e never had an issue with him peeing in the house. I was really on the housetraining and would take him out to go to the bathroom every 45 mins or so. I thinks he's only peed in the house once and it was the second day that I brought him home! lol affraid He only poops in the house when he has colitis and I don't read the signals in time Embarassed

I guess I would take him out as often as possible and say something like "go potty" (that's what I say lol) and when he goes give him lots of praise and a treat.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 pm

what a cutie! embry always empties his bladder outside when we're home. we got him at 10 weeks, but he was miserable to potty train, he didn't stop peeing on puppy pads till he was 9 months old
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Welcome and kudos for adopting! Winter is gorgeous!

And my adopted male never empties his bladder either...never has. That's why we have to take "potty walks" to empty him out by him peeing on everything...even that rarely ever empties his bladder...boys. Smile Gotta love 'em!

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 am

You're welcome! I'm glad you were able to work, and he really is beautiful Smile

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:45 am

Hello Smile Winter sure is handsome! I think Val makes a good point with going on Potty walks Smile. Has everything to do with marking.

Oh! It's nice to see a previous Pyrenees owner as well Smile!

Welcome to the forum!

Hello from Massachusetts Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:58 am

Welcome! What a handsome boy. Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 2:24 am

hypers987 wrote:
Kale doesn't completely empty his bladder but iv'e never had an issue with him peeing in the house.
I guess I would take him out as often as possible and say something like "go potty" (that's what I say lol) and when he goes give him lots of praise and a treat.

Ditto here! This is my first boy too and I have noticed that he will wander around peeing multiple times EVERY time I take hime out. I also use the "Go Potty" command. Just start saying it every time he is peeing and he will begin to associate peeing with that command. Now, at almost 10 months, I know my boy is NEVER finished after one pee, so I guide him back to the "potty area" and say the potty command again to get him to pee more.

I really think he has probably been so accustomed to peeing whenever and where ever he wants, these new rules are just going to take a while for him to catch on.

He's a looker! Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Massachusetts   Hello from Massachusetts Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Massachusetts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1