It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What food should I try next?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

food - What food should I try next? Empty
PostSubject: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Since having Durbin I have not found a food that has worked for him!! He always has soft poop. The only time that that he didn’t have soft poop was when I was almost out of Blue Wildness for puppies and had to add in Science diet for puppies that I got from the vet. (I was really broke waiting to get paid!) He was on Science diet for about 3 days. The whole time he had nice firm poop. After Blue Wildness I switched him over to Wellness for puppies. He’s been on Wellness for about two weeks now. Every time he poops it’s either water diarrhea or its really soft poop. I feel bad switching his food again so I want the next food to work! What should I try? I feed him a cup in the morning and a cup at night. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Try raw...I'm digging the honest kitchen
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:03 pm

Kale was the same way as Durbin; constant Colitis and diarrhea. Iv'e had him on The Honest Kitchen and a little TOTW mixed in for 2 weeks and he's been doing fantastic! And the Perfect Form supplement has really done wonders. I'd try the sample or travel size packs and see if Durbin likes them Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:20 pm

It'll be trial and error but go back to the food that he had normal stools on. If it was Science Diet, then go back to that for the time being until you figure out a better quality food that works.

When you introduce a new food, do it slow. Mix in only 25% of the new to 75% of whatever he does well on. If he's still doing pretty good after 2-3 days with that mix, then go 50/50. If he does well with that mix after 2-3 days, then go 25% of his old food to 75% of the new food.

If at any time he goes soft, back off the new food as his belly doesn't agree with something in the new food or the cooking process.

Honest Kitchen is a little pricey but pound for pound, it's not over the top depending on which formula you get. I think Thrive is the puppy formula they have (I think Durbin is still under 6 months of age).

Taste of the Wild didn't do well for my girl, so she's on Orijen but I know that may be a little pricey for some. She's also on THK Zeal, which is the fish formula. As far as I can tell, Ginger doesn't handle chicken in kibble form at all. So any kibble she gets is fish protein based.

Storm appears to be one of those that is OK on anything....I'm trying Blue Buffalow Wilderness Salmon for him to give him a little more protein beyond his 'diet' kibble since he's close to his goal weight. I keep him on fish based formulas though to help his coat (which is SO much better now 5 months later).

Then there's creme de la creme food, Ziwipeak. I would LOVE to feed Ziwipeak Venison and fish to my 2, but I simply just cannot afford it beyond it being a topper to their THK or kibble. But then again, with a premium food like Ziwipeak, you feed even less!

Or you could try raw...there are the frozen pre-made stuff that takes the guess work out. That'll at least give you an idea if he'll do well with raw.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

can you list for us the foods you have tried? might help for better suggestions....

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

can you list for us the foods you have tried? might help for better suggestions....

Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 pm

I have been wanting to try the THK but I have to wait tell I get hired on as permanent at my job then I will be able to afford that, which should happen by the end of this week! Anyways back to Durbin I don’t have any of the Science diet left. As for Wellness the bag is almost gone maybe three more meals if I’m lucky. So I don’t know what to do get the Wellness again with a new food? I really don’t want to waste money on Science diet but if that that’s for the best I will. The food that I have tried so far with Durbin is Authority puppy (hated it never wanted to try it but my bf moms bought it for me) Wilderness Puppy mixed with Wilderness Salmon and Wellness puppy. Yes Durbin is under 6 months. Thanks for the help guys I’m still don’t know what to do tell I get the money to afford THK. I heard that Natural Balance is good has anyone tried that?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:49 pm

It's more cash up front but it's actually cheaper then bb. I bought on wag.com with coupon and only paid 42.99 for the ten pound box
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:
I heard that Natural Balance is good has anyone tried that?

I've fed my Dachshund and kitties Natural Balance before but it's been quite a while. They did pretty good on it though.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:01 pm

natural balance has a limited ingredient food out now. that is not bad.
Melissa i wish i would have know this sunday. where do you live? are you near DIA or cherry creek mall? i have sample bags of food that i will give you to try of TOTW as well as natural balance. what is the meat in Blue Wildness? that could be a trigger as well, i have not looked but is the protein higher in BW then in TOTW? some sibes need the GF but the higher protein can be an issue for some...
let me know i can get the samples to you tomorrow if you can stop by!

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:
I have been wanting to try the THK but I have to wait tell I get hired on as permanent at my job then I will be able to afford that, which should happen by the end of this week! Anyways back to Durbin I don’t have any of the Science diet left. As for Wellness the bag is almost gone maybe three more meals if I’m lucky. So I don’t know what to do get the Wellness again with a new food? I really don’t want to waste money on Science diet but if that that’s for the best I will. The food that I have tried so far with Durbin is Authority puppy (hated it never wanted to try it but my bf moms bought it for me) Wilderness Puppy mixed with Wilderness Salmon and Wellness puppy. Yes Durbin is under 6 months. Thanks for the help guys I’m still don’t know what to do tell I get the money to afford THK. I heard that Natural Balance is good has anyone tried that?

Which Authority puppy was it? Looks like the wilderness has chicken. Lamb is supposed to be good for dogs with sensitive tummies. Is there a better pet store near you? They'll generally give samples of the better foods - that's how we found one that agreed with Chili. THK is great, but not the only option - especially if you're on a budget. There are other premium foods that may work for you. By figuring out what's in your dog's food, you can see if there's a common thread (e.g. chicken) and eliminate it. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:

If you want the box I have of Thrive (it's more than 1/2 full, I used it for a little over a week), you're welcome to meet Claudia and I Saturday at Surrey Ridge Dog Park and have it. Smile I also have a sample of Orijen puppy you can have that should be about 3 meals if I remember correctly.

Natural Balance works well for most dogs I've seen on it, but it has more potato in it than meat so I don't prefer it. If you can afford Orijen puppy or Acana puppy, I'd look into those and they'd be great to mix with THK. Solid Gold Wolf Cub was a hit with Koda when he was a pup.

Ziwipeak is my #1 food and I'm never going to wander from it again, it's what works best for both my dogs and I love that it has no fruits or veggies, just pure meat. I strayed away for about 4 months to try to save $, but Koda's just not the same on regular kibble and why would I pay 108 for Zeal when Wag.com has Ziwipeak for 104 and it lasts longer and is healthier? Makes no sense! Sucks buying it for 2 but I can't stray again.
Back to top Go down
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm

jbealer wrote:
natural balance has a limited ingredient food out now. that is not bad.
Melissa i wish i would have know this sunday. where do you live? are you near DIA or cherry creek mall? i have sample bags of food that i will give you to try of TOTW as well as natural balance. what is the meat in Blue Wildness? that could be a trigger as well, i have not looked but is the protein higher in BW then in TOTW? some sibes need the GF but the higher protein can be an issue for some...
let me know i can get the samples to you tomorrow if you can stop by!

I live ten mins from the Cherry Creek mall. Do you live close by or work over there? I don't get off work tell 5 but I would be willing to meet up after that tomorrow. The meat in Blue Wildness for puppies was chicken. Maybe I should time something with no chicken everything that I have given him has been chicken.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Some dogs do bad with certain meats in kibble form. Rogue got the worst poop ever from a chicken amd millet puppy food, but she did fine on THK for the most part.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 pm

i work in the CC mall Smile if you can meet me by 5:30 i will hang out waiting for you and give you the sample stuff i have collected Smile ken is out of town working so i got to get home to the pups asap to let them out!

Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm

[quote="Heatherlee"]
Snowflake20 wrote:
If you want the box I have of Thrive (it's more than 1/2 full, I used it for a little over a week), you're welcome to meet Claudia and I Saturday at Surrey Ridge Dog Park and have it. Smile I also have a sample of Orijen puppy you can have that should be about 3 meals if I remember correctly..

I would love to meet up for another puppy play date!! What time and what day where you thinking about? Im pretty sure I have an open schedule. Yes I would love to try THK. Thats funny I have never looked at the Solid Gold stuff thought it was a cheesy brand. When I do start THK do I fix the kibble in with it or feed THK in morning and kibble at night.

Jenn,

I would like to meet up with you also I want to try those foods. I work downtown and take speer all the way to the Cherry Creek Mall I will time it today but I think I usally pass the mall around 5:15 or so depending on traffic. Where is easy for you to meet?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Ginger doesn't do well with chicken in kibble form! Hmm...
Maybe try different protiens too...

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:40 pm

cmanding wrote:
It'll be trial and error but go back to the food that he had normal stools on. If it was Science Diet, then go back to that for the time being until you figure out a better quality food that works..

I agree on this assessment if it works use it. The best food won't be much good if you pup is squirting it out the hind end. Though most of us will flinch at the thought of Science Diet, feed it for 6 months watch how the pup does with it and then decide if you need/want to upgrade.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:46 pm

cmanding wrote:
Ginger doesn't do well with chicken in kibble form! Hmm...
Maybe try different protiens too...

I think that was Willow's problem as well. I switched her to High Prarier Taste of the Wild and her BM's are the best they have ever been.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
cmanding wrote:
It'll be trial and error but go back to the food that he had normal stools on. If it was Science Diet, then go back to that for the time being until you figure out a better quality food that works..

I agree on this assessment if it works use it. The best food won't be much good if you pup is squirting it out the hind end. Though most of us will flinch at the thought of Science Diet, feed it for 6 months watch how the pup does with it and then decide if you need/want to upgrade.

I agree. Obviously there is an ingredient or multiple ingredients in all the other foods that is not in this Science Diet. I would pick apart each of the ingredient lists and hopefully you can find one or two ingredients in the other foods that are not in the Science Diet.

Then perhaps you can leave the Science Diet for a better quality food if you know what exact ingredient Durbin has problems with.

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 10:03 pm

I think we need to remember that Science Diet is full of fillers which are mainly fibers. Fibers will harden up stool. It's not uncommon for dogs to have solid stool (and usually a lot of it) on lower quality kibbles because there is so much filler.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 10:09 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I think we need to remember that Science Diet is full of fillers which are mainly fibers. Fibers will harden up stool. It's not uncommon for dogs to have solid stool (and usually a lot of it) on lower quality kibbles because there is so much filler.

Very true.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 12:21 am

arooroomom wrote:

Really? How come we humans are told to take extra fiber (like Metamucil) to loosen our stool?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 am

[quote="Snowflake20"]
Heatherlee wrote:
Snowflake20 wrote:
If you want the box I have of Thrive (it's more than 1/2 full, I used it for a little over a week), you're welcome to meet Claudia and I Saturday at Surrey Ridge Dog Park and have it. Smile I also have a sample of Orijen puppy you can have that should be about 3 meals if I remember correctly..

I would love to meet up for another puppy play date!! What time and what day where you thinking about? Im pretty sure I have an open schedule. Yes I would love to try THK. Thats funny I have never looked at the Solid Gold stuff thought it was a cheesy brand. When I do start THK do I fix the kibble in with it or feed THK in morning and kibble at night.

Jenn,

I would like to meet up with you also I want to try those foods. I work downtown and take speer all the way to the Cherry Creek Mall I will time it today but I think I usally pass the mall around 5:15 or so depending on traffic. Where is easy for you to meet?

You can mix kibble with THK or feed THK in the AM and kibble in the PM, either way. You should be ok switching cold turkey with THK too. And Saturday! Claudia, what time are we thinking? The high is 80..
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 2:07 am

Snowflake20 wrote:

Solid Gold is not bad and is rated 4 stars on dogfoodadvisor. Definitely try the samples first. Chili was on Solid Gold (not the puppy one, though) for the first 3 weeks we had him with the last week transitioning him to a new food. He had diarrhea the whole time (various softnesses) - so definitely check to see if it agrees with your dog. I find my pups are best on wheat and soy free foods (oh! The gas from soy!). The pups are on Nature's Variety Prairie Salmon (with other flavors alternated) but we're about to try some Nature's Domain Grain Free from Costco mixed in with it since some members here are doing well with it.

Chili also did well on Timberwolf Organics, Canidae and Taste of the Wild, but Nature's Variety was easier to get locally in the big bags. We were lucky because we have a local pet store that specializes in working dogs and they gave us a TON of samples (each sample was good for at least a meal). We even got some free samples from the groomer one time of Precise Holistic Complete - they did pretty well on that too. I know it's overwhelming right now, but once you get some samples you can start narrowing it down. Good luck!

Definitely try wag.com once you decide on a food. Our food is $65 a bag plus tax locally, and it's only $56 no tax no shipping on wag.com!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What food should I try next?   food - What food should I try next? Empty

Back to top Go down

What food should I try next?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next