It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cherosu
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! Empty
PostSubject: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, but I've been reading these threads for about a year. I've found some really helpful information here! I hope I'm posting this is the right forum... I was thinking it might go in training as well.

Our husky, Maya (she'll be 2 in Nov), has been acting very mean (for lack of a better word) to us for about a month now. She's excessively growling, barking, and even snapping at us. Getting her off the bed is a challenge and driving in the car is insane. Before this she was the sweetest husky and trainers would comment on how mellow and laid back she is for a husky. She also seems disinterested when we come back, whereas before she would excitedly lick us. We're trying to keep up with some training, but I feel like she's regressed or just doesn't want to do it. I feel like her behavior is just with me and my husband and not others.

About 3 months ago we moved out of our house and are moving into a new house next week. We've been bouncing around staying at families' houses and hotels. While she's been a trooper throughout this stressful time, maybe she's at a point where she's just sick of it? Or is this a time in her life where she's going to test everything that we're doing? Combination of both?

What can we do to have her stop the growling/barking/snapping? Negative reinforcement doesn't work (she just gets louder) and I'm not sure how to incorporate positive reinforcement into some situations (like when she's on the bed we used to be able to say "off" and give her a little nudge and she would go, but now if we even come close she's growling at us). She has become (and I hate to say it) a bad dog Sad

If anyone can help us it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 am

My guess is its the constant moving of recent times.

You'll receive better info later today from other more knowledgeable members on this topic.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:51 am

Has she been spayed? Sometimes not spaying can turn females into cranky Divas. She may feel insecure and unsafe and is trying to claim a safe spot for herself due to your recent moving around a lot. Dogs like predictability and with all the changes she may have just had it. Also if she is constantly around new people they may not be consistent with your expectations for her. Anyone have kids who could be teasing her? Feeding in new and strange places may result in more food guarding issues. Any diet changes resulting in stomach issues? Hopefully you have a crate for her which you set up in each place. Is she getting enough exercise each day? I would also look at issues like bad hips which can become painful at this age, thus her reluctance to move off the bed. If a vet check is OK (some diseases like Lyme can result in behavioral changes) begin more play/ exercise and positive reinforcement with treats. If you have a crate, use it. Keep a leash attached to her fixed type collar and use it to move her from the bed etc. Hopefully, she will settle down in your new home soon. Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
cherosu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 am

Yes, she's been spayed. We've been very consistent with the crate... we never leave her home alone without her being in it. Before the move she would go into the crate when we would get her treat ready. Now she sometimes goes in it and sometimes we have to chase her. No kids are teasing her, but she has been meeting new people almost everyday. No stomach issues. She's not getting as much exercise as she used to (she used to go to doggy day care 3x per week, with plenty of runs/walks/dog park time on the other days), but we are making sure to still give her the right amount of exercise by going on runs and a lot of walks daily.

I'll try keeping the leash on and using that for a little bit with treats. Should I just pull her off the bed with the leash and then if she doesn't growl or bark I give her a treat? How do I correct her if she growls or barks? She rarely did this as a puppy so I'm just confused as to what to do. I don't think it's a hip issue... she has no problem jumping up and down on things when she does her "zoomies" Smile

Once we move in next week we'll hopefully be able to get back into our routine. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:35 am

I too would think the lack on consistency and movement has probably had a negative impact but that kind of aggressive behavior switch seems kind of extreme. I would seek the advice of a professional when handling aggression to the degree that you are describing, especially since it is directed at you. Just my personal opinion. You could wait until you move and things start to settle to see if she goes back to her normal self but I'd be worried about something happening to either of you between now and then and during the waiting period to see how she adjusts. I don't think it would hurt to consult a professional who can observe her behavior in person and give you better advice than we can over the internet. There are a lot of little cues that Maya could be displaying that you don't pick up on that a professional trainer/behaviorist can. And with cases of aggression it's so important to pick up on even the minor things. Just my two cents.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 am

cherosu wrote:
I'll try keeping the leash on and using that for a little bit with treats. Should I just pull her off the bed with the leash and then if she doesn't growl or bark I give her a treat? How do I correct her if she growls or barks? She rarely did this as a puppy so I'm just confused as to what to do. I don't think it's a hip issue... she has no problem jumping up and down on things when she does her "zoomies" Smile
First off, I agree with Val and I would seek the help of a professional... ESPECIALLY if this continues after you move... but you would benefit from the help of someone before I think.

However, in the meantime, keep the leash on her. If you want her off the bed, ask her to get off first like you normally would. Then ask her to get off the bed with a treat in your hand. If she still doesn't get off, take the leash and ask her again with the treat but gently tug at her leash to coax her off. If she still won't come off the bed, apply as much pressure as necessary to the leash but give her LOTS of praise and treats.

The same applies in all situations. Ask with treats first, then use the leash with as little force as necessary. The idea is wean her back off using the leash.

Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cherosu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks everyone. I really think that once we move in and have our own furniture and her dog bed that it will get better. She still can be very sweet with us, and the actions I described don't happen all of the time, but enough where we were noticing something different. We plan on going back to the basics with her (leash on, treats for doing basic things) and in one week we will be in our new house and can establish consistency and a routine again. Thanks for the advice.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm

IMHO, I think the constant moving and meeting new people is challenging your position in the pack hierarchy. Whether you realize it or not, staying with other people or visiting them, - you probably act somewhat submissive because you're thankful that they've allowed you to stay there. She's picking up on this and thinks it's her time to challenge your authority.

Anytime you change the pack dynamic (people coming in, leaving, etc), the dog is going to try to move up in the pack hierarchy. E.g. People come over for dinner and the dog suddenly forgets it's training to not beg at the table. "Hey! It's a new person! It's open season - let's try this!"

Some clues that this is happening:
-she's not getting off the bed - she's taking the higher position and softest bed.
-She's not greeting you when you get home effusively - because SHE thinks she's the boss and YOU should be greeting her. Only dogs lower in the pack hierarchy do the enthusiastic greeting.
-she's snapping and growling at you - normally this is not attempted with a pack leader.
I don't believe she's being aggressive - but monitor this for a couple of weeks and see if it gets better with the following.

Get back to NILIF (nothing in life is free) training. She has to work for everything - food, affection, walks, etc. I agree to keep her on a leash while at home to teach her who's boss. Get back in your routine. Are you walking her as much? Doing all the same things you used to do?

She's not a bad dog - she's confused. Hang in there.

You move next week - that'll be some turmoil too. But stay consistent and firm. Ignore her if she does something bad, and praise lavishly if she does something good. If she doesn't listen on the first command, look her deep in the eyes and wait. Be patient - don't repeat the command. And keep doing your training with her - 15 minutes at least twice a day. She'll turn around - she's just seeing how far she can take it. Smile
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Excellent advice Sam!!!!
Back to top Go down
cherosu
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 pm

That makes so much sense... thanks!!! That seems to be what is happening (or has happened already). Back to square one!
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Have you taken her to the vet for a checkup? It could be some medical issue. The moving could be a reason too, but as Huskyluv said you are at a point where you need the help of a professional trianer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!   Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us! Empty

Back to top Go down

Formerly sweet husky now has serious attitude problem with us!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1