It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

An update!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

An update! Empty
PostSubject: An update!   An update! EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:46 am

I havent been around much to post! I apologize! Bella and I have been attending handling classes and even though her first class she was so bad and we missed the second class due to the mail system losing my show lead and chain I ordered! We finally got back on track the next week and she improves with each class! She's still pretty miserable about getting examined but she's getting much better!

I hope my update finds everyone in good health and that all the puppies are happy and playful! I'll try and be around more often!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm glad she's doing good in her handling classes Smile We need stack pictures :p
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Ahhhhhh maybe when she gets better! Right now the instructor is just happy to get all of her feet under her! Lol

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 12:44 am

awww! hahah
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:04 am

Yeah she's still pretty terrified of being examined so we haven't gotten to actually getting her stacked. He tenses all if her muscles if you try to place her feet!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 am

aww haha, stacking is hard. mine are terrible at it. good thing i don't plan on showing, except for fun dog events.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 am

My instructor said I should enter into a match show with her in January for experience. She said it would be good experience for me/us. I'm a little nervous for that lol. I haven't decided yet.

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 8:05 pm

So. We got a picture of it somewhat...but it's terrible! Sad

So. Here it is for you, Jennet!

An update! Bella_12

It's so bad! Plus my SO was just snapping pictures at this point X_X

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Poor pup looks rough around the edges. lol!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 8:33 pm

I c wut u did thar!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Go to the match! Matches are fun and don't be nervous, they are just for fun!

She sounds like Siku who is almost impossible to stack. Her legs go limp when I pick them up to stack her, though she free stacks pretty well. Elara keeps her legs stiff when I stack her, so it's much easier to put them in place. But she looks better when she free stacks. She always leans weird when I hand stack her. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

An update! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySat Oct 15, 2011 11:19 pm

I can't stack her to save my life. And she won't let anyone else do it! She just tenses and she extends her nails so you can't place her foot flat! And I'm totally nervous Sad I don't know if I should!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 11:10 am

Awww she's looking good! Smile Just practice a lot Smile and give her good treats, like cheese for stacking
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 11:32 am

Are you friends with other people in the class yet? Maybe you could show someone else's dog in the match. It's great practice. Twice during an AKC show I've had other sibe owners have too many dogs win and go into the best of breed class. So they asked me if I could show their dog for them while they showed their other dog at the same time. It is weird showing another dog, but still fun. You might want to prepare for that, cause it seems like they pick the new or young people to show their dogs. Ones that aren't caught up in the politics yet. And oh boy are there politics! I'm learning that more and more, but just trying to stay away for it.

An update! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:13 pm

I put her on her lead everyday for practice, Jennete! (I try for a few times but sometimes that doesn't work!) I take her around the kitchen and then (attempt) to stack her. xD She has this really terrible habit of sitting down though on me at home. In the class she's not as bad and will only try and sit the first time I run my hand over her. I'm going to pick up string cheese later today for her! I'm giving her pieces of Lamb food roll for her treats right now that she only gets at the class!

Sara - I dunno if you could call us friends. lol but they are all really nice in the class!! They recommend other classes i can take and other handlers and give me advice! They're super nice. The instructor said last class that if I can learn to handle with a difficult dog it'll make things easier and she suggested the match show with Bella because it'll be a completely different environment than the class - so it'll be taking her out of something that she's getting used to and seeing how she'll do in that environment and give me more things to work on. I guess? I don't know Sad.

What kind of politics? :o

Oh!!!!!!! I also attended my first ever show on the 17th! The one that you found Sara

I'm also really trying to go to The National Dog show. It's up here in PA near Philly and it's not very far from me!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Oh cool! How'd you like the show? I'm excited for the Eukanuba show in Orlando, FL coming in Dec. It's going to be HUGE!

I guess the area I'm in is very cut throat. You'll find judges who only pick professional handlers or certain kennels (they can see where the dogs come from before judging). It is frustrating to see a judge only pay attention to the big names and just barely even go over your dog. They make it kind of obvious sometimes. And you'll find that show people tend to group themselves in little clicks. Like I showed one guys dog and got a talking to from all the people I had been hanging out with, saying how I should avoid that guy and never make that mistake again. Such drama! But I just try to be nice to everyone and not to let anyone take advantage of me.

An update! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptySun Oct 16, 2011 2:50 pm

It was a lot of fun! I really -really- enjoyed it! I made my mother, father and boyfriend all go! We were there for about four and a half hours and had to leave before Best in Show because of my mothers back. It was a little hectic - it started raining on us for like an hour and a half and since it was outdoors - well, my boyfriend and I got all wet waiting for the Siberians - They were supposed to go at two but they ended up not showing until somewhere around four. So we watched the Malamutes, Dobes, Bernese Mt. Dogs all show in the rain. Before that we watched the small dogs because my mother wanted to see the Maltese.

We sat right up close to watch the Sibes so a bunch of the handlers and owners were gathered not too far from us. After the breed judging was done my boyfriend told me that the group of people there were bad mouthing the Sibe that won and saying a lot of not nice things and that he was really surprised at how they were acting.

Not this past Tuesday but the one before - there was a guy there that came over to me and was chatting with me about Bella - He was chairman of the show that we attended and is a Siberian Breeder who had one in that show. He was very nice and helpful! He roughly evaluated Bella for me outside and said that structurally she looks like a Siberian. He did say her eyes are a little too round and her tail curls too much but other than that she looks like a Siberian.

He helped me out a lot in the class too - showed me how to place her legs and pulled me aside to give me advice and tips. He spoke with my mother at length the entire time we were there and then spoke with me after the class. He kept telling my mother how much of a sweetheart Bella is and how beautiful she is as well as making sure to tell me the same thing Smile.

After the class he took her into the ring and was just quickly walking her back and forth on her leash and saying how she's just an absolute sweetheart.

It was nice to hear that even though she isn't well bred that someone in the breed for so many years paid her so many compliments and had more good things to say than bad! Especially since you had told me some people can be really terrible (Like they were with you Sad ).

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 12:54 am

Tossing a short update in.

Disappoint set in now. Pretty firmly. Bella had an incident with a German Shepherd over the weekend - long story short she got nicked on her back left leg (thankfully it wasn't anything worse as it could have been) and now she won't let anyone - not even me - go over her. So we're pretty much even back to square one - and unless she has a miraculous breakthrough - not even a match show is in our future. So unless I figure something out - Handling isn't in the equation for now.

side note - I'll be attending The National Dog Show in Oaks, PA November 19th just as a spectator. BUT! hopefully I'll get to see some baby Huskies while I'm down there :3! My mentor is having a litter due on the 7th!

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 am

AW!! poor Bella! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 1:14 pm

Poor Bella. Give her some time. Once the pain goes away she should be more comfortable with you touching her again. And there's always obedience, rally, and agility.

An update! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Well - Bella survived another dog attack today by a different dog. It was so dumb. I'm furious.

I'm not going to put her through the classes and the shows after today. It's not her fault and she's now extremely jumpy and uncomfortable.

2013 (or there abouts) I'll be getting a male puppy from my mentor to begin showing.

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 pm

where/ how did the attack happen? sorry, im sure over time she will come back around. give her lots of love

Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 pm

The first one was a German Shepherd that dragged the girl walking him down half a block to get to Bella and bit her hind leg. Which started the whole mess.

The second was just today, a few houses down from my own. I was out talking to a neighbor who was sitting outside watching the guys cut down and chip up trees across the street. We were up by her door (probably 30-40 feet from the sidewalk/50 from the street) and some guy was riding his bike with the dog (who I'm assuming wasn't even on the leash to begin with but I didn't actually see the dog until he was already off leash) I know for a fact that the dog was already scared because of the noise the chipper was making (they're really loud).

At first it was fine. The guy got the dog and tried to go off but the leash got stuck in the tires of the bike and the dog was gone after that. The guy didn't even bother to go after the dog for a good five minutes. Then he went and got him - brought him back and then he saw Belle and ran up to her and just immediately hackles up - growling snapping. Bella was screaming and I said very firmly "NO" and the dog stopped. Then after a few minutes did it again. and then the guy finally came up and the dog backed away. This dog was absolutely terrified of this man. And when he couldn't get to the dog he walked away a few steps and his dog came back for Bella. He started yelling at me telling me I had to move and I told him I will do anything to protect my dog (my neighbor and I were between them) so I finally got the chance to pick her up and the dog took off again when the man approached. Then the guy went after the guys working the chipper and throwing the branches into it. He was screaming at them and they were chest to chest in the street before the guy stalked off after the dog. Finally he came back (the guys turned off the machine this time) and just picked up his bike with the dog by the collar and I told my neighbor to go give him my leash off of Bella and took his dog to it and take him home and he can return the leash later and all he kept doing was saying no no I don't need it. We don't live far. I asked them guys nicely but they were all (explicative).

As soon as the guy and the dog were passed the truck/chipper he LET the dog go.

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 8:55 pm

so did the dog make contact with Bella, it does not sound like it. she was just freaking out? what a jerk for how he was acting and treating HIS dog. i just wonder about people now a days, our future is in trouble....

Niraya

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 pm

No contact at least that I can see. She's still not alright. I moved my foot earlier and scared the daylights out of her - practically jumped through my computer desk.

I'm trying to find out where the guy lives. My father wants to call the cops because on one of his trips to retrieve the dog my mother said she saw him bearing the crap out of the dog.

An update! Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

An update! Empty
PostSubject: Re: An update!   An update! Empty

Back to top Go down

An update!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next