It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to stop jumping on visitors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

How to stop jumping on visitors Empty
PostSubject: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

I understand this is probably my fault for getting excited when I get home from work and let her jump up and give me a hug. Embarassed The problem i am having is when someone comes over she constantly jumps up for their attention. I have been trying to put her on a lease whether inside or out and step on the leash so she can be approached like a good dog. Also when certain people visit she always pees, and I dont get this. and its men and women so its not a gender thing. Does anyone have any other ideas about this? She is 3yrs old now so she is not catching on very well.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:33 pm

We had a jumping up problem with our other dog (not a husky). It was very quick to teach him not to jump on us, but much harder to teach him not to jump on other people, especially since they usually reward him for jumping by making a fuss of him.

Whenever he jumped up on us, we would fold our arms and turn our back on him. He's doing it to get attention, so responding like this means that he doesn't get any reward for it (even saying 'no' would him him some attention for it). This worked really quickly.

He would still jump on other people though. In the end we had to ask our friends and neighbours to do the same thing. It was really funny because he would go to jump up, but as soon as they folded their arms he would stop, and usually he would sit and wait for a fuss. I think it took several people to do it, because at first he just learnt not to jump on us, and it took more experience for him to generalize it to not to jump on anyone.

In your case, since you want her to jump on you, you might not want to cross your arms and turn your back on her. Instead you could try teaching a command for it. When she jumps up on you, say the command and then 'good girl' and she should soon pick it up. You can also train her with the command. Once she knows it, it should be possible to tell her not to do it and hopefully she'll learn to only do it if invited.

We're now teaching our other dog to jump when invited, because of course we don't mind, we just didn't want him knocking elderly people over or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:33 pm

I'll let others give advice since I don't have this issue with mine. I will offer this alternative since mine do have things that annoy my friends.

A sign:

If you don't like my dogs, remember, they live here you don't.

or

i find your children just as annoying as you do my dogs, but I don't ask you to put them in the yard.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Lordbroll wrote:

A sign:

or

i find your children just as annoying as you do my dogs, but I don't ask you to put them in the yard.

This is so funny! I was actually about to print this out, laminate it, and put it on my front door about 6 months ago..lol. There was a little phase that we were having get togethers at our house a lot and my husbands friends aren't too doggie friendly. They would have these faces and would be freaking out if the dogs were around the kids, etc. Then one of them with her "allergies". I came to the point that I said...NO MORE at our house. Now it's only my family that comes (and they love my dogs) and one or 2 of our friends.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
I'll let others give advice since I don't have this issue with mine. I will offer this alternative since mine do have things that annoy my friends.

A sign:

or

HAHAHA! the second sign option is hilarious! and so true! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I have tried the turning your back and ignoring her but she still keeps jumping and usually ends up scratching their backs. I have noticed that if she does not know them she will be too timid to jump. I think she gets too excited when she knows them.

Any idea on the piddling thing, she never does it for me though.

I feel bad for the men, because she usually jumps up to get the groin. Sorry Grampa!!

I am going to keep trying.

I like the sign idea
A sign:

or

I did buy and put up on my front door a sign that says an overly affectionate husky lives here, Dont get me wrong her if someone tried to break in they would think twice with her bark. She sounds like a rabied pit bull or something. It makes me feel safer being alone.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I trained Frankie to only jump on me when I invite him. Neither of my dogs jump on me when I get home. Everyone else that comes into my house...well that's another story. Frankie KNOWS not to jump on people, it's part of his therapy dog work. And he is generally good with it, except when people come to my house. When it was just him, he was doing really well with down/stay when someone came over until I said it was ok to say hi. But now with Bruiser it's like they fight for attention. We are still working on it. I ask people to let me know when they are coming and I leash him until he calms down. When my ex comes over to pick up my son, I just put the dogs outside. He has no tolerance for dogs and I have little tolerance for him with the dogs, so I just avoid it by putting the dogs out.

I am a total dog lover. I go to peoples homes to work with their children and always pet their doggies. I have one house I go to where the dog literally mounts me, latches on to my leg, digs through my bags, etc. I find it quite irritating and ask that he be put out of the room so I can provide therapy to the child without having to fight off a 50lb dog. The signs are cute and great just for the non dog lover company. But I think it is important to teach no jumping. It would be dreadful if she jumped on grandpa and he lost his balance and fell. Some things are just common courtesy when you invite people to your home. Family....that's another story Wink

As far as the piddling....I had a dog that did this for years. He piddled every time we came home or when someone came over. I don't know why. I know Frankie would piddle when he was scared or really uncertain. It got better as he became more secure and confident. Some just can't control it when excited. I think Vicotria Stillwell had a dog like on one of her episodes. If I find a link I will post it.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Do you fold your arms as well as turning your back? It makes a difference because it's a stronger body language. (Apologies if you are already doing this as well).

Another thing to try is giving the dog a treat when they meet someone and all four paws are on the ground, or only petting the dog if all four paws are on the ground. It would take a while but they should get it eventually.

Another thing to try is pre-emptively asking the dog to sit before she gets a chance to get close enough to jump on the person, and then give a treat. That way she is distracted from jumping.

I don't know about the peeing, sorry. Like Dee said, it sounds like over-excitement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:13 pm

I am going to keep up with it. They are such a smart breed and if she doesnt see a purpose in it she refuses. I got her at 5 weeks old and had her completely trained to ring a bell to go outside within a week, it ws great. But when it comes to some other training she will get it then say whatever. They say to train with treats but then it was if I don't get a treat I won't do it. She out smarts me at times. Thats what i get for having to work all day and keep up with her energy at night.
I think the piddling is just out of excitment, because it is for people she doesnt see everyda
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:18 pm

We have the same issue with Frosti and do the turning the back thing. It takes a while, but it definitely works. Be consistent and firm. I try to ignore the dogs for the first 5 minute (it's tough cuz I just want to cuddle them) - while I put away my shoes, my bag, go to the bathroom, etc. It's made a huge difference in Frosti. She used to be completely frantic, jumping all over me - and now can greet me calmly (with a few instances where she's hyped up and forgets...).

I also love dogs, but don't tolerate others' dogs jumping all over me. It's not cute - it's annoying.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and I will be firm and stick to it

The other thing that she only does for me is whine. If i go pick her up from Nick (daddy to her) who gets her during the day most of the time, she whines if she can't reach me and then he yells at her. She only does it when I'm around, but I think she is bored with him. He always has her tied on her little chain and she usually just sleeps. She knows that when we are together she gets attention and walks.

I worry he yells at her a lot, but as I am not around I don't know. She loves to be with him so I don't know what to do.

I always say get over it whining is what huskies do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop jumping on visitors   How to stop jumping on visitors Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stop jumping on visitors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1