It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Two sibe's in need of a home.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

home - Two sibe's in need of a home. Empty
PostSubject: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 8:53 pm

So a friend of mine informed me just the other day that her friend is needing to re-home her two Siberian Huskies. They are about 1 year old, a male and female. I know very little about them, except they are supposedly extremely well behaved and very sweet. She said the female might be spoken for already, but the male remains.

Me and my boyfriend had already decided that Drogo would have a new brother or sister at some point, but we never thought we'd be faced with that possibility this soon. He will be 7 months old in 2 weeks. He is extremely well-behaved in the majority of situations; the only issue we really have with him is getting too excited when faced with another puppy. He's come leaps and bounds, but (depending on the dog) he'll still occasionally try to pull towards them because he wants to play. I'm usually able to redirect his attention fairly easily and coax him into a sit/wait position. I know you don't want to bring another husky into the equation unless your current one models good behavior. Considering this new husky would be older, would Drogo look to him for guidance and potentially pick up bad habits from him? And would two males not be a good mix even if they're both neutered? It seems most people have opposite sex pairs.

This is something that's just a distant thought for right now considering I know very little about this new sibe. I would obviously want them to meet and see how they react to one another before committing to anything.

I already don't like the fact that the owner is allowing them to be split up; I'm scared the male might end up in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are getting into. Am I thinking with my heart too much and not my brain? Is this just a horrible idea? I love Drogo to DEATH and want only what's best for him. Whatever decision I make, I'll make it based on his long-term well-being and happiness. There are a lot of members here with multiple sibe's so I'm hoping I'll get some valuable input.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Looking into getting your 2nd husky is definitely nerve wracking. Drogo definitely is pretty young and hasn't gone through his teen phase yet, similar to the other 1 year old husky. Might be crazy. On the other hand, if you're consistent and firm with training - you can make anything work. Maybe have Drogo meet the other guy and see how it goes?

I can't imagine rehoming my huskies, but I wouldn't come down on the owner for splitting them up. It has to happen sometimes to find the best homes for dogs.

Perhaps someone with younger huskies closer in age can weigh in, since my boy was 4 1/2 and taught the girl all the house rules!
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
I can't imagine rehoming my huskies, but I wouldn't come down on the owner for splitting them up. It has to happen sometimes to find the best homes for dogs.

Didn't mean to sound like I'm really coming down on the owner, I just would like to think they tried everything possible to avoid having them split up. It would be VERY difficult for me to do that. Supposedly they've been together since the beginning. It just makes me sad to think of them losing each other forever. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for them and I'm just being a big baby. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:36 pm

toyszruskid wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Didn't mean to sound like I'm really coming down on the owner, I just would like to think they tried everything possible to avoid having them split up. It would be VERY difficult for me to do that. Supposedly they've been together since the beginning. It just makes me sad to think of them losing each other forever. Maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for them and I'm just being a big baby. Embarassed
I agree - sometimes they're bonded and it's sad. But sometimes they don't care and it's cool...
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Shania had bad habits that Shadow never picked up. My husband got Shania and then hed to rehome her but got her back after about 8 months. In those 8 months she was an outdoor dog with no training. We got Shadow about 4 months after we got Shania back. They were about a year and a half difference in ages. Shadow did great in obedience training where Shania....not so much. They were just two different personalities, but they were inseparable.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Actually the youth of the Huskys involved I think would be to your advantage. Other then the chaos of them playing together, they'll be like kids that haven't had the chance to get to set in their behaviors yet.

What the hell go for it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Len, are both your sibe's males?
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Two neutered males should get along fine. Really depends on the individual dogs. I have two girls and they are like sisters now. My mom has several dogs and they all get along. Take them out on a play date at a dog park or somewhere and see how they do together.

home - Two sibe's in need of a home. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 3:50 am

My girls are inseparable

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 am

My two boys get along just fine. They are not both huskies, but sometimes Frankie thinks he's a pitbull. I think two neutered males should be fine together. I would have them meet each other first in nuetral territory
Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:58 am

See I was wondering about two males myself. It is hard to get a female from my breeder since they normally go to show homes. Only thing that kept Stormy going into the ring was that he didn't have all his berries yet.
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks for everyone's input so far! Did your relationship change with your current husky after adding a second? Like did they look to you less for companionship or did everything remain pretty much the same?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 3:25 pm

toyszruskid wrote:
Len, are both your sibe's males?

Adobo is a 5 yr old female.

Biko is a 2 year old male.

But I wouldn't have hesitates to mix 2 of the same sex together when young, just would have them fixed ASAP.

In my experience I've felt males mingle together better then females once they are adults. (They don't call 'em bitch for nothing. Smile )
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm

toyszruskid wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input so far! Did your relationship change with your current husky after adding a second? Like did they look to you less for companionship or did everything remain pretty much the same?

Nope, not at all. Except that Mya doesn't bug me as often for play time since Kody is constantly bugging HER for play time..lol. She's the same all around, but just happier I think because she has a buddy. She has her moments that she attacks him, but for the most part they're buds!
Back to top Go down
toyszruskid
Teenager
Teenager
toyszruskid

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:48 am

So the owner of the two sibe's in need of a home went ahead and placed both of them with a person capable of taking the pair, which I was super excited about initially. Then I receive a call the other day letting me know that she found one of them running free in her neighborhood. She called the new owner and questioned why she found the dog running around loose and he told her they must have escaped (the guy lives almost an hour from her). When asked where the other one was (they apparently never leave each others side) he said he didn't know. He's been unwilling to work with her and told her that the one still missing ended up killing one of his chickens; we fear he either set them loose or did something even worse to Laz. I've been devastated over this for days and just needed to share the disheartening news with someone. Sad
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 am

Why would he place his Huskies in a home with chickens!? That's crappy news to hear Sad

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:15 am

Sad
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:27 am

I got Mira (Female ) @ 9 wks old .. when she was 7 month i got Icon (Female ) .. Icon Jus Turned a year in SEpt .. I Just Got The New Baby (Male) .. I Been Raising Huskies for 14 Yrs Now n Never Had An Issue .. My Girls Are Soooooo In Love w Each Other u Take 1 and The Other will Howl ... And Someone Said It Right They dont call em Bitches for Nothin .. But never Had ann Issue in My Pack .. Introduce Them Slowly DOnt Let e alone Outta sight @ 1st n U Will Be just Fine ..
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 5:03 pm

toyszruskid wrote:
So the owner of the two sibe's in need of a home went ahead and placed both of them with a person capable of taking the pair, which I was super excited about initially. Then I receive a call the other day letting me know that she found one of them running free in her neighborhood. She called the new owner and questioned why she found the dog running around loose and he told her they must have escaped (the guy lives almost an hour from her). When asked where the other one was (they apparently never leave each others side) he said he didn't know. He's been unwilling to work with her and told her that the one still missing ended up killing one of his chickens; we fear he either set them loose or did something even worse to Laz. I've been devastated over this for days and just needed to share the disheartening news with someone. Sad

Aw man, that sucks! I'd drive over there and chew him out - plus use the 1st dog to try to lure the 2nd dog. Sorry to hear this. Are you thinking of taking the dog they found?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two sibe's in need of a home.   home - Two sibe's in need of a home. Empty

Back to top Go down

Two sibe's in need of a home.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1