It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Labored Breathing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Female Join date : 2011-10-02

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:44 pm

I've been watching Sky's breathing while she sleeps for about a week (since before the spay), and it seems kind of labored to me. It's uneven and quite a bit faster than 10-30 breaths per minute that webmd says is normal for a resting dog. I tried to Google it to find out if it's normal and read a whole bunch of scary things that can cause it. One of which is congestive heart failure. She had parvo when she was a puppy before we got her (I found this out from the vet, rather than the previous owners...). So I'm making myself all nervous that she could have heart problems from the Parvo. Am I just being paranoid or do you think a vet visit is in order?

Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Kale sleeps like that too when he's dreaming
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:13 pm

She breathes like that even when she's just relaxing with her eyes open.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

pixipanda wrote:
She breathes like that even when she's just relaxing with her eyes open.

hmmm. I think you should take her to the vet, yea that's not normal. no other symtoms that you have noticed? coughing? panting during rest? was she on any pain meds from her spay?
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:26 pm

No, no coughing or panting. I just stopped giving her pain meds yesterday (she was spayed on Monday). I probably could have stopped earlier, but you know what they say about dogs hiding their pain. I wanted to play it safe. She was actually breathing like that before the spay, too. She may have been all along. I just didn't pay attention until she went into heat last weekend, because I was keeping a closer eye on her than usual.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:35 pm

When in doubt, a phone call to the vet is free. I'm a worry wart, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Have you taken the cone of of her at all? Do you notice it when she is not wearing it. Frankie breaths like that when he is stressed, even if he looks like he is trying to relax. Wearing a cone stresses the crap out of Frankie.
When I first got him, he was a very anxious stressed out dog and would breath like that frequently. I asked the vet and the vet said everything seemed ok. My trainer also felt is was because he was a highly anxious dog. However, I don't think he had a history of Parvo, but I wouldn't know for sure.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:38 pm

If your concerned I would definitely at least call the vet. I'm a total worry wart just like Dee. Maybe too much sometimes! lol! I would call and see what they say. Mine don't breathe like that while they're sleeping, but I have had a few moments when I've freaked out thinking that they weren't breathing at all!!! pale
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 6:45 pm

I just got off the phone with her old vet's office to see if her previous owners had got any tests done after the Parvo. No luck there. I'll have to call her new vet on Monday and see what they think. It's hard not to worry about them, isn't it? I feel like I'm becoming a dog hypochondriac. haha. Thank you both for being so understanding.

I really hope it's only stress! We've left the cone on her the whole time because she's a major licker. She seems to have adjusted to it pretty well now, but I'm sure it isn't comfortable. I'm going to take it off Tuesday morning. I think I'll give her a day or two after that to see if there are any changes for the better. *hope hope hope!*
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 am

Hubby says he thinks she dreaming while sleeping, and he's seen Frosti do this recently. She then started whining a bit in her sleep, too. And Melissa, we check them too when they seem to stop breathing. hehe Wink

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
rpataca
Newborn
Newborn
rpataca

Male Join date : 2011-11-09

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyMon Nov 28, 2011 11:38 pm

Just brought our puppy home and he's doing the same thing. Freaked me out a bit but it's probably stress. He looks sad and looks like he just wants to be left alone. Played with him a bit this afternoon after bringing him home but now he's just resting and panting... Hope everything is ok. Will need to take him to our vet for our first visit - 6weeks old.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 am

Sabaka's nickname is Pant-a-Claus...

I would hope your vet did a thorough exam and maybe even an EKG before her spay. If that happened, I wouldn't be too concerned. I do think the history of Parvo makes this issue more important to look into for her than for other dogs.

Sabaka usually sleeps a little more calmly than Sky but there are times when he is just resting and awake that he is panting like he just ran a marathon. We think it is a mixture of stress and hyperness and that husky feeling of needing-to-jump-out-of-their-skin!!

Let us know what you find out!
Back to top Go down
Mikko'sMum
Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 12:54 am

Doesn't look like laboured breathing to me...her rate may be high but it doesn't look laboured.
My guy tends to breathe like this while sleeping too.
What about when she isn't at rest? Does she look anxious or is she panting?
If that is the only symptom I wouldn't be too worried.
Back to top Go down
pixipanda
Puppy
Puppy
pixipanda

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 am

She seems to be better now. She still does it, but not as much. I think stress or pain could have been it. I was concerned since I noticed it before her spay, but maybe her first heat was making her uncomfortable, as well.

I'm still keeping an eye on her, but I didn't end up taking her in for any other exams. I did call her old vet to see if her previous owners had gotten any follow up tests after the Parvo, but no luck there.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm so glad she's doing better!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Labored Breathing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Labored Breathing?   Labored Breathing? Empty

Back to top Go down

Labored Breathing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1